A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 7781

Ivan the Terribly Average

A friend of mine, soon after giving birth, realised the true purpose of the 'baby on board' sign. It's to alert other road users to the fact that the driver of this particular vehicle is sleep-deprived, nearly out of her mind and likely to be a bit erratic. smiley - silly It's nothing to do with the kid at all.

PH? Rain, for the first time in a while in the middle of an extended drought, on the very day when one is trying to move house. It's just another application of Murphy's Law, I suppose.

Petty Hates

Post 7782

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

My parents have taught my 3 year old to shout "In-ger-land" clap clap clap every time he sees a car with a flag on it smiley - groan If he wasn't so cute doing it this would be a major rather than a petty hate...

Petty Hates

Post 7783

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

...........give it a few days, kelli.......

give it a few days...............

smiley - evilgrin
GT

Petty Hates

Post 7784

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Teach the child to shout "Kim Jong il" instead...

Petty Hates

Post 7785

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

........or Pak Do Ik...........(Memories of 1966)

smiley - laugh
GT

Petty Hates

Post 7786

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

PH: that people still cling onto the memory of 1966 (sorrt GT). It was over 40 years ago, get over it! I mean, it's not like Germany even care.

Petty Hates

Post 7787

PH: Typos. smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 7788

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Ok, I have modified the behaviour so that at least he now shouts "England" rather than In-ger-land.

Petty Hates

Post 7789

Sho - employed again!

Mr. D - I believe GT was referring to 1966 as the last time that North Korea took part in the World Cup (I'm now an expert on N Korea due to having drawn them in the office sweepstake)

PH: actually, the Gemans haven't forgotten 1966 - as well as every single time they have beaten us, especially on penalties. But in general they really really don't care as much as the English seem to
smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 7790

Cheerful Dragon

I guess it's like the West and Muslims regarding the Crusades. When Ridley Scott made Kingdom of Heaven, a US politician called it Bin Laden's version of history, or words to that effect. I have a book called The History of the Arab Peoples. The Crusades get mentioned two or three times. Each time it's just one sentence. The Muslims don't really care that much. Back then, they were constantly at war with some one or other.

Petty Hates

Post 7791

Cheerful Dragon

PHoD: People who like to share their choice of music with the entire neighbourhood. It's been a lovely sunny day today, but my enjoyment of it has been spoiled by some smiley - bleep who played music really loud. We live in the country and I prefer to hear bird song, not something with a pounding bass line. The only way I could escape was to go inside and sit in the coolest room in the house. I couldn't even have the windows open, because that let the noise in.smiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 7792

Bright Blue Shorts

I think you'll have to wait until they put their washing out and then start a bonfire ... under the clothes line ...

Petty Hates

Post 7793

Cheerful Dragon

For that to work I'd need to know exactly where they live, as I don't want to upset innocent neighbours. All I can say is they probably live on the same road as me, or the one parallel to it. Finding them would take more time than I'm willing to spend, and more energy than I have at the moment.

Petty Hates

Post 7794

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Movies that claim to be "based on a true story" when they are, in fact, pure fiction. Like this for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidalgo_(film)

Understand me, I still like the movie. But if they say it's "based on a true story" then audience members understandably assume that it's at least /partly/ accurate, when it's not. In point of fact, 300 is probably more accurate than Hidalgo is.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 7795

Worst example I know of is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_Tale:_A_True_Story

Petty Hates

Post 7796

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

PHs?

Two currently.

The mucky smiley - bleep who dribbles on the floor in front of the loo at work, and never cleans up,

...and finishing the last mouthful of smiley - coffee, only to end up with a crunch of limescale from the kettle that nobody other than me ever bothers to try to clean!

smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 7797

Cheerful Dragon

Another example of a film that claims to be based on fact but isn't, is Murder in the First starring Kevin Bacon, Christian Slater and Gary Oldman. As a piece of fiction it's good enough - good acting, good production. As a fact-based film there are so many accuracies that it doesn't deserve to have 'based on a true story'.

Petty Hates

Post 7798

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Petty Hates

Post 7799

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

or... lilitis smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 7800

KB

Isn't that what "based on" a true story means? They have taken a true story as the seed, and gone off on a fictional or imaginary tangent. That's the whole difference between "this is a true story" and "this is *based on* a true story".

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more