A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 4341

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Most hotels I've stayed in replenish those each day when they clean the room. I've never stayed anywhere and been expected to make a single-use bottle last a week. smiley - laugh Though I actually save those, bring them home, and donate them to shelters in my area, because I can't use them anyway (allergic to soaps; bring my own toiletries). But how tacky it would be to receive only a single dose for a week's saty!

Petty Hates

Post 4342

Cheerful Dragon

Regarding Reader's Digest, I checked one of hubby's copies. There were 37 pages of full page ads and more than 20 pages of full page photos (or where the text occupied less than a quarter of the page). The issue was 168 pages long, so the two figures combined mean that more than 1/3 of the issue was 'unreadable'.

When clearing out mum-in-law's house we found an issue from the late 1980s. It seemed to have fewer pages, but there were fewer pictures and the text was in a smaller font. Basically, Reader's Digest has been dumbed down, just like a lot of other things.

Petty Hates

Post 4343

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

When my mom steals those little doses of shower gel/shampoo, and soap, and then tells me that it's not stealing because she payed for them when she bought the room.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 4344

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

It's not stealing, she did!

Now the nice thick floor towel they give you... you're not allowed many, I mean *any* of them.. smiley - run

Petty Hates

Post 4345

toybox

I knew of a hotel where the policy was to present their customers with one of their ashtrays (I think) upon check-out. When asked why, they said that this didn't make much of a difference to them (the owners) but it was more friendly to the customer smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 4346

toybox

'Free delivery' for the pizza or whatever.

So the delivery bloke doesn't get paid, eh?

Petty Hates

Post 4347

We have a local place that does "free" delivery- no delivery charge to the customer, and the price of delivered food is the same as dining in- but of course the drivers do get paid. I sure hope this place you speak of isn't jacking up their prices to cover the delivery costs. *That* would be annoying.

Speaking of places that jack up their costs... a local grocery chain (I never shop there any more, but my parents always did when I was a kid and my better half used to) would run weekly "buy one get one free" specials. And then they'd darn near double the price of the item.

Petty Hates

Post 4348

Tigger_juggler

<>

That and not having a consistent location of which one is which, such as all hot faucets on left, cold on right. This also goes double when the faucets have no labels as to which one is which. I've scalded myself a few times doing this, though the injuries were minor. smiley - injured

Petty Hates

Post 4349

Malabarista - now with added pony

Luckily, the guy I was sharing a bed with went to visit his friends today, so I'll have the bed to myself. (Aha, petty hate, having to share a bed with a near stranger of the opposite sex because there's an odd number of men and women on the trip) This leaves me stuck here with two giggly girlies smiley - divasmiley - handbag who insist that I need a makeover, starting with ironing my hair smiley - rolleyes

Petty Hates

Post 4350

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

smiley - smiley you poor thing!

smiley - laugh

you never know, you might enjoy it....

smiley - run

Petty Hates

Post 4351

I think your hair is awesome, Malabarista. I wouldn't want to iron my hair if I had curls like yours.

Petty Hates

Post 4352

Kyra

People who use the word 'an' before the word 'historic' smiley - steam *Especially* newscasters.

Petty Hates

Post 4353

Cheerful Dragon

There was a time when 'an historic...' was correct. The rule was that 'an' was used with a silent h (e.g., an hour) or with a non-silent h an an unstressed first syllable (e.g., historic, hotel). Like you, most people prefer to use 'a' where the 'h' isn't silent.

Petty Hates

Post 4354

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

infotainment

Petty Hates

Post 4355

eloisa

Dramedy.

Petty Hates

Post 4356

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

romcoms

Petty Hates

Post 4357

eloisa

Romzomcoms

No, wait, I liked that one!

Petty Hates

Post 4358

Beatrice

Hearing a "BEEP BEEP" noise just as you have snuggled under the covers and are drifting off to sleep.

And you don't know if the "BEEP BEEP" noise is the first time it's done that, or if it's been doing it for the last 3 hours.

And you mentally catalogue all the electrical gubbins in the bedroom, and wonder if it's worth getting up, gathering every last iPod, mobile phone, digital watch, dictophone, MP3 player and epilator that might conceivably be the "BEEP BEEP" culprit and consigning them to the cupboard under the stairs.

And you're waiting with one eye half open for the next occurrence of the "BEEP BEEP" so you can try to identify its source.

And any chance of a good night's sleep is now a distant memory...

Petty Hates

Post 4359

Tigger_juggler

This might be an odd one, but healthy food costing more than junk food. Costs $2.42 here for a 32-ounce bottle of V8, but for the same amount you can get a 12-pack of sugar-laden soda. Same goes with fish and other meats - the processed ones (not including the fresh catch-flash frozen kind) are cheaper than the fresh ones.

I think if they reversed the costs, along with adding PE and recess back in schools (heck, recess in all grade levels), we'd have less obesity in the United States.

And... it'd be easier on my wallet. smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 4360

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Beatrice,

The last time that happened to me it was the smoke detector telling me that its batteries needed changing.

smiley - goodluck

Key: Complain about this post