A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 4281

eloisa

Thinking it'd be a good idea to use my teeth to get a metal wire out of a plastic holder.
On a related topic, sore teeth!

Petty Hates

Post 4282

DaveBlackeye

I just despair. Got in from work last night and sat in front of the news. The first item was their own 'special report' on *other* soldiers in Afghanistan (no - nothing had happened to them either). Apparently they weren't going to send reporters all the way out there without getting their money's worth.

Russia got a new president, but hey, ITN's reporters weren't in Russia so they just made up the news instead.

Petty Hates

Post 4283

Kyra

People who are rude to checkout staff. Probably comes from being one for 5+ years, but honestly, who is really justified in belittling and abusing a 15 or 16 year old, or a recent immigrant just trying to earn a honest living?

I was waiting in a line a few weeks ago for a woman who had disappeared for several minutes in order to get some butter or something. In the meantime the young Chinese girl had packed her bags, and she got an earful for that when the soccer-mum returned. Apparently she had wanted to pack them herself smiley - rolleyes The checkout girl was unfailingly polite, even when the woman berated her three or four times, literally saying things like "I can't understand a word you're saying". I could understand her perfectly. As soon as it was my turn I said to the poor girl "What a b*tch!!" smiley - laugh I hope the soccer-mum heard me. I at least raised a smile on the check-out chick's face, and I hope a few people around me were as horrified by the soccer-mum's behaviour as I was.

Petty Hates

Post 4284

toybox

A French check-out lady became popular lately after opening a blog and sharing stories and so. One thing which had sort of amused her to some extent was, a mother very openly telling her son that 'if you don't work at school you will end up like the lady at the till'.

Of course she couldn't have guessed that the lady in question had a Master's in literature smiley - biggrinsmiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 4285

KB

(Kyra, apart from the rudeness itself, did soccer-mum not realise that she was the one in the wrong, holding up the queue to go back and finish her shopping? Ok, maybe it happens us all at some point, but at least show a bit of thanks or regret for all the people you've inconvenienced by being an absent-minded clown and leaving half your shopping on the shelf. smiley - rolleyes)

Boots that let in water in the morning thus freezing the feet all day. smiley - brr

Petty Hates

Post 4286

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

King, I suspect that some people berate others louder the more embarrassed they are...

I'd be thankful that someone had packed my shopping for me if I was holding people up...

mind, if they put things like eggs and tomatoes in under tins and potatoes, I'll probably mutter about it as I leave...

Petty Hates

Post 4287

Tigger_juggler

Totally understand about the rude customers to checkout staff. Having done retail in my time (complete with rude customers) I try to be as polite as possible. The only time I have been forceful to a cashier in recent times was when one was trying to deny a perfectly legitimate coupon for a buy one/get one free ice cream treat.

Thing was, the coupon was good for any treat and was still valid - but she tried to deny it because the main flavor listed was no longer the flavor of the month. When I told her again what I wanted and the coupon was still good, she responded rudely "I was *saying* that this flavor was the flavor of the month!," and when I looked up, she was scowling at me as though I was in the wrong for defending my case. Even though I apologized for my tone - even though partially warranted - she just decided to treat me as less of a customer because I was in the right. smiley - grr

But, most of the time, if a customer is rude to a cashier who really is trying their best, I will just smile and sometimes, give my honest opinion about the previous customer. No one deserves to be treated rudely, but on the counter, I have a mild hate of people who think because they make little money, they should be rude to customers who have perfectly valid comments.

Petty Hates

Post 4288

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

I'm going to an Apocalyptica gig this Friday and I'm gonna wreck my neck from it too- need strong muscles, but the pain drives me mad!

Petty Hates

Post 4289

Warm up gently and practice plenty smiley - smiley

Oh, and if you like apocalyptica, you may like Van Cantor (I think that's how you spell it)... Acapella heavy metal, they even do Battery by 'Tallica smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 4290

KB

Ohhh...Metallica when their albums were worth buying!

For a long time they haven't been worth the price of an illegal download.

Petty Hates

Post 4291

smiley - rofl

I cant disagree with you!

Petty Hates

Post 4292

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Why don't you just /not/ "headbang"?

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 4293

What, pray tell, would be the fun in THAT!?

Petty Hates

Post 4294

DaveBlackeye

On that note, you guys may be interested in A28282476

Petty Hates

Post 4295

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Br. Robyn Hood, thanks for the advice. Who? I’ll check them/him out. Metallica… afraid I can’t disagree with you either, there… and why would I not headbang, Mr X? Then there’d be no fun!

Yup, that was a shameless plug! And on the note of petty hates… www.worldmathsday.com

How the hell are we s’posed to be part of setting a world record if we can’t even get on the damn site to contribute?!

Petty Hates

Post 4296

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Well call me old fashioned, but I've always enjoyed listening to the music myself. An exercise that does not require trying desperately to shake your head off of your shoulders.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 4297

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

Rushing to the medicine cupboard in search of a band-aid or better to staunch the flow from a bad facial wound(a gaff in my cheek...ouch) only to find old band-aid wrapperssmiley - wah

(Whats a gaff? A big hook on the end of a pole that's use to grab a big fish and pull it into a boat.)

Petty Hates

Post 4298

Ouch and ew and all sorts of that stuff...

smiley - sadfacesmiley - injured

Petty Hates

Post 4299

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

I should do a Guide Entry on the various levels and types of stupidity. Not sure where my level would be but somewhere near the top and adjacent to the 'You stupid, stupid, man' or " Seriously you didn't did you? category would be about rightsmiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 4300

Ah, just check to see if you have won any darwinism awards or similar, if not, you;ll have to try harder!!!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more