A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Where are our researchers from?

Post 101

cyberaunt

Good Grief! am I the only Irish one then?

If it helps

Post 102

Metal Chicken

Well, I'm half-Irish if it makes you feel any less lonely, but I live in the English home of the other half. I'm writing from the glorious, rainy Peak District near Manchester (the UK version that is) but it does kind of remind me of Co. Cork where the Irish side of the family live. Maybe it's the constant rain. All that water drumming on window panes takes me straight back to the childhood holidays in dear old Skibbereen.

If it helps

Post 103

Dancing Ermine

There's a few Irish people about. I've bumped into a couple myself. Personally I'm trying to stay anonymoussmiley - winkeye but I did originally come from Dublin and I am now in the UK somewhere at university.smiley - smiley

Post 104

Martini (the one and only)

NORWAY RULES!

Post 105

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Norway is too cold and too expensive to rule... but that's just another matter of taste, I guess smiley - smiley

The Summary

Post 106

Researcher 93445

For those of you as fascinated by trivia as I am, but without as
much free time, I offer this summary of posts to date in this topic.

Note: For those of us who listed multiple places, I chose the
current residence (assuming I could figure out which one that is).

2 Canberra
1 Stirling
1 Sydney
2 (unspecified Australia)
6 Total Australia

2 British Columbia
2 Total Canada

1 Gloucester
1 Oxford
1 Manchester
1 Plymouth
1 Reading
1 Redditch
1 Warrington
1 Yateley
1 (unspecified England)
10 Total England

1 Germany

1 Kerry
1 Total Ireland

1 Rijswijk
1 Steenwijk
2 Total Netherlands

2 Auckland
1 Wellington
3 Total New Zealand

3 Norway

1 Glasgow
1 (unspecified Scotland)
2 Total Scotland

1 Alaska
2 California
2 Florida
2 Massachusetts
1 New Hampshire
1 North Carolina
1 Pennsylvania
1 Washington
11 Total USA

41 Grand Total participating

The Summary

Post 107

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Nice summary, brief and to the point. smiley - winkeye

The Summary

Post 108

heathen

So who's going to be the all-important 42nd participant?

The Summary

Post 109

DNA would be great for that! smiley - winkeye

The Summary

Post 110

G

Oops - too late. I'm afraid it's me instead.

I'm from London, UK, and surprised to be the first Londoner on the list. I was born in Liverpool, and moved to Telford, Shropshire when I was 8. Liverpool's too distant a memory for me to think of it as home, and Telford is a complete hole that's best forgotten about, so London is definitely the place I think of as home now.

The Summary

Post 111

Hi G!

Welcome to the club!

My current residence is in Steenwijk, which is also just a dirty spot on the map. And without any major cities in the vicinity, I feel I have no other choice than to regard my place of birth (Haarlem) as home. Especially since I didn't leave it before I was 36 years old (which will soon be 5 years ago).
Emotionally, Haarlem will ALWAYS be home to me, regardless of where I reside.

The Summary

Post 112

lucan

currently live (although that might be too strong a word) in sassenach -land, but i'm originally from Elsewhere...

Lord Lucan?

Post 113

Munchkin

And doing a damn good job of hiding from the police if I may so so. Not that I can condone murder, but I do like to see a chap using his initiative to keep ahead of the authorities.

Lord Lucan?

Post 114

Nick O`Teen

Yes, isn't Elsewhere the first place the authorities look when they have few leads?

Post 115

charmenides

Although I've heard many good things about Vancouver, it is NOT the only cool place in Canada. Calgary, Toronto, Montreal...all very cool in their own inimitable way.
I happen to park my bones in Kitchener-Waterloo: haven of computer people and German-descended Mennonites.

Post 116

Anonymouse

Had some relly not too far back that ran off to Saskatchewan (I know that can't be spelled right) originally to work. Wife and kids were too stuck up to move from the city, he fell in love with the solitude of the place. I've always wanted to go there for just that.

smiley - winkeye

Lord Lucan?

Post 117

Ormondroyd

lucan is doing an even better job of beating the authorities now. I read in the paper this week that the search for Lord Lucan has now been officially called off. Legally, he is now presumed to be dead.
So I think that makes lucan one of two officially dead researchers on h2g2. The other is, of course, The Grim Squeaker. smiley - winkeye
Oh, and by the way: I'm originally from Shipley, West Yorkshire, England, and am now resident in London. So there. smiley - fish

Lord Lucan?

Post 118

%The Calamitous Cranium Boy Who Just got his first approved article (eight weeks ago!!) ~/^Þ

Hi there.

Where was Eric Clapton born?

Post 119

Mike A (snowblind)

Sorry about the title, but there's a reason behind it.

Anyone on h2g2 from the Norwegian town of Hell?

Isn't there a place in Norway with just a letter for a name? It's called Y or something. There's another in france: A (or thereabouts).

Where was Eric Clapton born?

Post 120

%The Calamitous Cranium Boy Who Just got his first approved article (eight weeks ago!!) ~/^Þ

In a barn. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more