A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Where are our researchers from?

Post 41

tenthumbs

Netherlands, more specifically Rijswijk, near The Hague. So pretty close to the "hub" of this forum.

Post 42

Contemplation (Zaphodista in a Cloak of Goo)

Netherlands, hmm? Have you heard of Jan William Van der Wettering? Just curious...

Contemplation/96169/Emp

Post 43

Nick O`Teen

Born & Raised: Dauphin, Manitoba, Canada

Living in Vancouver, BC, Canada since 1978, and I'd never go back to Manitoba. In the summer the insects drive cars and shoot people, and I never did become acclimatised to '40 degrees below zero' winters.

Post 44

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

>>Netherlands, hmm? Have you heard of Jan William Van der Wettering? Just curious... <<

I think you mean "Jan-Willem van de Wetering" (just a minor correction, don't worry about miss-spelling it) smiley - winkeye

That was the little feller that put his finger in a dike, right? He saved our "Polders" with that action.

Post 45

Hmmm...

While iI think you may be correct on the spelling, ... I think I am looking for another Jan-Willem.... Don't think he has put his fingers in any dikes, but that is a personal issue, to be sure....

Contemplation/96169/Emp

Post 46

ICU2

Wellll, I'm Italian by birth but I've lived in Australia for 20 odd <- operative word years and I've even married an Australian (who has never wrestled a crocodile in his life).
I've lived in our great Capitol??? Canberra bu we currently live in Sydney. Yes yes that's right home of the 2000 bloody Olympic Games.

ICU2

Post 47

Jan^

WHY should they advertise?
If you don't know about it, then you ain't listenin' in the right places..... or something.
No, that's all rubbish, but word of (virtual) mouth does wonders.

Post 48

basselope

I ate a lot paint chips as a kid. Guess I just liked the taste of Lead. Well, that, and the "Home Lobotomy Kit" Dad got me for Christmas. But the darn thing's no good. I've got half a mind to take it backkkk-kkkk-FFFRRRrrrNNHARgly-whumpty!!

Post 49

Researcher 93445

OK, I'll play too.

Strictly American.

Born in Oxford, New Jersey

Lived in Canoga Park, California; Simi Valley, California; Pasadena, California; Alhambra, California; Hyde Park, Massachusetts; Medford, Massachusetts; East Greenbush, New York; Troy, New York; Brooklyn, New York; Walkerton, Virginia.

Followed by living for nearly 3 years in a motorhome, living along the road for 80,000 miles.

Now I daresay I'm the only H2G2 researcher in Endicott, Washington. Probably the only one there will EVER be in Endicott, Washington.

Post 50

Researcher 97173

PA,USA

Post 51

Sleezy

Currently I'm in Sydney, Australia. I was born in a very small country town in South Australia and in a few weeks I will be moving to Darwin in the Northern Territory. By the way h2g2 has a very good entry on Darwin and the NT (I haven't figured out how to do the link thing yet). I haven't decided yet if I will fit into the redneck group or the hippie group, I'm hoping for an alternative.

Post 52

You... you mean,... Endicott really exists? I thought it was just a rumor? smiley - smiley

I spent almost nine months in Tacoma...

Contemplation/96169/Emp

Who hoo another American

Post 53

Kinnexa

I go to boarding school (BLAH) about two hours away from boston. originally from oklahoma, though smiley - smiley

Post 54

tenthumbs

Jan Willem van de Wetering, the author? He wrote numerous novels about the Amsterdam police duo Grijpstra & deGier. Lives in America, though, and writes in English, then translates into Dutch. That guy?

Post 55

cafram - in the states.

Australia, Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you Amen.

This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. smiley - smiley

Post 56

Anonymouse

Ah.. I see.. So it doesn't sound like read a book, it sounds like -read- a book. smiley - winkeye

So yesterday I read a book in Reading. smiley - winkeye

(Not the toughest guess in the world.. and here I was worried it was something weird. smiley - winkeye)

Post 57

Munchkin

Well, just up the hill from my secondary school (Loudoun Academy, which someone else does not like http://www.h2g2.com/A31708 ) is a wee village of approximately four houses and a telephone box. It goes by the name of Auchencloigh. Try saying that without drowning in phlegm. smiley - bigeyes
My other favorite name is the village (and forest) in Dumfrieshire of Ae.

Post 58

formerly known as: "He who doesn't call himself `fisk` amymore"

I'm Norwegian myself.
Norway is kind of a nice country, I guess.
Expensive, but nice.
sometimes it can be cold, (usually in the winter) specially in the northern part of Norway, where I live.

I think there's awfully many Americans here, and everywhere on the entire net! Not that I mind, it's just an observation.

Linking to articles

Post 59

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Hi Sleezy,

I started out here, less than 48 hours ago, and according to your research-number you started just a very short while before me.
I advise you to dig into the help (DON'T PANIC!) system, and check the entry on writing GuideML. If you're already experienced in HTML, then you'll have no trouble grasping GuideML at all. If you're not, then it still isn't very hard to learn.

The link should just reference the number of the article you wish to link to, but that will also be explained in the "DON'T PANIC!"-guide.

I hope this helps.

Post 60

Researcher 93445

Yep, Endicott exists, though just barely. The gas station just closed and I heard the other day that the grocery store is for sale. I think that leaves one bank and the grain elevator as the only viable businesses in town...which has declined in population to around 250. But I'm actually out in the hills so I never see those folks anyhow smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post