A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What to do?

Post 121

Mrs Zen

I got a box of stuff from a Car Boot last April and just started going through it yesterday. I found an old Clutterwick ball-race. Now here's the thing. How do I tell if it's an Imperial one? The stuff in the box was wrapped up in copies of the Biggleswade Gazette from 1973, but that doesn't mean anything.

What to do?

Post 122

Whisky

Erm, surely you can just measure it with an old-fashioned ruler...

What to do?

Post 123

ivor moulton

it should be date stamped on the inner race if its before 56 its imperial. The Arsenic & Whippet adjustable split ring inner-race will last longer but they are a bu*ger to adjust.

What to do?

Post 124

Mrs Zen

You'd think the split-ring would make them easier to adjust. I *knew* I was right to ask here.

So, here's the next question; my Gramps always used to clean things like this with a pencil, he said the graphite was a lubricant. But that looks crazy to me. Eric suggested 3-in-1. I don't have any 3-in-1 but I do have WD40. And do I take it apart to clean it?

What to do?

Post 125

ivor moulton

You take it apart at you own peril, I took apart in 88 or was it 89 it was a hot day either way, The sun was shining feircely over the plastercine factory. Any way I found a previouse owner had rounded of the grubscrew. Never cross the same bridge twice. Graphite lubricants can be found I suggest you get freindly whith your local locksmith. But I reckon your grandad could show them a thing or two. Think on!

What to do?

Post 126

Mrs Zen

Ah, the smell of a plastercine factory when they've got a melt on... I used to drive for miles to get downwind and fill my lungs. That was before the findings in the 1993 Report, of course. Bloody Torys.

What to do?

Post 127

KB

I don't think the Tories can be held *wholly* responsible. Don't you remember the Prendergast episode? Although, granted, that led to a few red faces in the cabinet...

Especially when the details came out about the insertion of the 45 dampening muffler. smiley - yikes

What to do?

Post 128

swl

tut, you mean the 45" dampening muffler.

Rumoured to be the reason Claire Short had difficulty taking her seat.

What to do?

Post 129

Mrs Zen

Well, you say that Prendergast was a factor, but there are those who swear there was real mould in the mouldings and that was the root of the problem. Then there was that whole business with the export documentation.

What to do?

Post 130

KB

Y'know, I've heard the mouldy mouldings argument before, and I'm not sure I buy it. When the crank gauge has reached that level of degradation, would it really matter?

What to do?

Post 131

Icy North

I used mould-resistant applicant on my ogives in the 80s. They need a new coat, but you can't get 'white-with-a-hint-of-black' since Texas folded.

What to do?

Post 132

Mrs Zen

I always found the Gregson's Grey Grommetting Grout useful for those sorts of jobs. Another thing that disappeared after the Prendegast episode, come to think of it.

What to do?

Post 133

McKay The Disorganised

If you mix in a little seagull excrement with the standard Humbrol Matt black you get a very close approximation to the correct shade ~ but it does have a detrimental effect if you are planning to use it to trim nasal hair ~ something I strongly advise against, but I know some thrill seekers do it.

smiley - cider

What to do?

Post 134

IctoanAWEWawi

Exciting news!
I finally found a set of orange flanges!
Admittedly, they're from the von Wuhrer import set using the Schmidt key arrangement, but they fit and look the business. I am a happy bunny.

I've also found a very interesting person who co-ordinates a world-wide owners club. They're not exactly purists - more than one running with the post 83 Russian patterns parts - but hey, so long as they keep them going.

This does mean I now have a spare set of 5/8" Harris special flanges if anyone is interested?

What to do?

Post 135

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Hm... I'm quite well off for special flanges, but thanks anyway.

I was going through some old hobby magazines the other day and someone had written in saying that you can replace the bi-directional sprocket with a 3/16" Hainsworth gubbins, and improve overall operating efficiency by around 25%. Have any of you tried this? I have all the right kit but am worried it'll just end up knocking the flywheel out of alignment.

What to do?

Post 136

Taff at home

just dont try it on the wankle set up, a miss aligned fly whell can play havoc with your big end!!! and cause pinking around the grase nipples

smiley - bat

What to do?

Post 137

IctoanAWEWawi

Ah, the 3/16" Hainsworth gubbins fix was a well known early cowboy bodge. Yes it'd up the efficiency in the short term, but as Taff mentions, it plays hell with your grease nipples. The flywheel should be ok as it is isolated by the eccentric reciprocator assembly, but the lack of grease on the main shaft into the reduction assembly will eventually lead to bent push rods and the cams being out of alignment with obvious results - works fine whilst it works, but you wouldn't want to be in the shed when it stops working.

What to do?

Post 138

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I might be in the market for the 5/8" flanges, as long as you'd accept a trade rather than cash, so as to avoid all the hassle of paperwork and export licences etc.

I can offer a couple of various-sized flange 90 degree adapters and possibly two sorts of nitrile flange O-rings? They're in perfect unused condition, being nestled in the back of the biscuit tin with the rest of the spare bits from the DeLorean.

What to do?

Post 139

Taff at home

don't suppose you have a DeLorean sphincter assembly??
the type 69 with the rubber bushes and eccentric sprocket!
i might be interested if the diaphrams are not perished!

smiley - bat

What to do?

Post 140

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

*goes to check the biscuit tin* It has a few minor blemishes around the connector feed and the inline assembly sprocket seems to be slightly worn? You may be able to adapt it with Perkin's universal d-clamp and a very fine file.

Key: Complain about this post