A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1341

Little Mischief

Nearly finished The Bourne Identity (finally!), will probably do so over the weekend.
About halfway through Round Ireland With A Fridge which I've been searching for ever since I heard about it in this very thread AGES ago.

I had HP5 Saturday morning the 21st, finished it on the following Tuesday evening. Before I was even halfway through it I decided I was going to immediately read it again, but by the time I'd finished it I was toying with the idea of starting over again with book 1. Still haven't decided.

Post 1342

Metal Chicken

"The Book of Questions" by Pablo Neruda, selected strangely enough because of an arty German theatre/circus/fireworks performance I saw at Glastonbury last weekend smiley - weird I'm concluding that when read in context the odd and sometimes surreal questions do make a kind of poetic sense...

Post 1343

Andy

Just finished The Lovely Bones by A Sebold (that was an all nighter)

Started (cliche) HP and the O of the P.

Post 1344

King Nechtan mac Derile

Just finished HP and the O of the P

Continuing on with "The Habsburgs: Embodying Empire", bought after a recent trip to Vienna.

Post 1345

neri_aracro

Anita Shreve - Sea Glass

1929 depression America, specifically set in New Hampshire.

Post 1346

tanzen

Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
...was in desperate need of a book...and I remember a friend recommended it to me ages ago...

Post 1347

a girl called Ben

Lovely book - and it has a sequel - Montery Flats (?)

Re-reading Jingo by Pratchett, and wishing that I had read it during the most recent Gulf War.

Post 1348

tanzen

Thanks dear smiley - cheers, now I don't have to think about what I'll read after it! smiley - biggrin

Post 1349

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

Started reading HP last night- about 1/2 way through, my oh my there's a lot of shouting in it!!!
Also got assorted history books to read over the hols (Canbridge aspirants need to read round their subject)
Have to read the last 60 pages of Les Mains Sales for french by september.

Post 1350

to clarrify, that is the Order of the Phoenix

Post 1351

Abi

I found the shouting a little over the top.

Then I remember what my brothers and sisters were like at 15! smiley - winkeye

Post 1352

But a lot of the shouting at the beggining is the adults, but then, whatas going on is enough to get anyone who's involved v.v. angry

Post 1353

Beatrice

Just finished the Neverending Story of Nory by Nicholson Baker (Guide Entry now under construction...)

...and just started HP. But have to fight with my son for reading time, and I may find myself reading it aloud to my daughter this weekend as we have a lot of hanging around airports to do.

So far I've found it much more gripping than the previous installments. And yes, I feel I should re-read some of them.

Post 1354

combattant pour liberte

I'm reading:

'Lords and Ladies', a Discworld novel by Terry Prachett

'1984' by George Orwell (just started)

'Rogue States: The Rule of Force in World Affairs' by Noam Chomsky

'Why Do People Hate America?' by Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies (I've read most of it, but still haven't completely finished)

Post 1355

Foggy (and a little gloomy too)

hey combattant, i've also started Orwell's 1984 (and I'm finding it rather scary that I'm seeing some similarities between Orwell's future and today smiley - erm).
I also just finished reading HP 4 (the Goblet of Fire) and have to hurry up and start HP 5 before I find out too much smiley - yikes.

Post 1356

Sho - employed again!

I've just started a book club with 7 online friends, and we're starting with The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, which is so far wonderful.

I'm also reading The Secret Garden to my 6 year old

And currently on my 2nd reading this year of Lord of the Rings. I have an smiley - elf obsession that needs to be worked through.

Post 1357

weegie

i'm re-reading crash by j g ballard.

if anyone's looking for a blinking fantastic read, i'd recommend the cutting room by louise welsh

Post 1358

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Re-reading Lord of the Flies at the moment, great book

Post 1359

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

Err, ah, I mostly work on series...

The Pern Series - Anne McCaffrey (re-read mostly, but managed to find 'Skies of Pern' & 'A Gift of Dragons' in the library - 1st time read (except 2 of the short stories in 'gift'). Currently in the middle of 'Dolphins of Pern', dipping into 'Chronicles...', with 'MasterHarper', 'Moreta','Nerilka' & 'Red Star Rising'(DragonsEye for you over the pond) to look forward to...

Also started Larry Niven - The Magic Goes Away. Never really been a Niven fan but this looks promising.

No doubt I have various other books dotted around that if I wish to finish I'll have to re-read from the beginning.

And I must get Life of Pi out of the library again to finish it - last time my wife had read it and then it was recalled for someone else!

Post 1360

Bistroist

I am, as always, trying to read about a dozen books at once, with the rather predictable result that I'm only making very slow progress on any of them smiley - bigeyes.

But here goes:

Aristotle; Ethics
Why oh why did Plato have to be the brilliant writer, and Aristotle the brilliant philosopher, instead of combining their skills? He IS good, but incredibly dull at times.

Felipe Fernandez-Armesto (I believe, I have a terrible memory for names); The Millenium
So this guy tries to write a history of the last 1000 years, and actually does it well. He isn't as oneeyed as many other western historians, and tries to show how the initiative has shifted from one part of the world to another. A very good read.

Mr. Adams; The Hitchhiker's Series.
As always. It seems I can hardly get to the end of the last book, before I have to start all over again, or just open it at random page and start reading.

Tolkien; The Lord of the Rings
As above.

Oh, and I've just started on the World of Swann by Marcel Proust today. I've been meaning to read it for months now, and though I've only just started, so far it doesn't disappoint me the least.

Well, I guess that's more or less it. At least, that's all I can remember right now.

Cheers,
~Bistro

Key: Complain about this post