A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 6341

Yvonne aka india

Running books in parallel again -

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson,
Pooh and the Philosophers,
and Homer's Odyssey, waiting to be picked up.

Post 6342

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Just finished "Gods Behaving Badly". It was cute and was worth what I paid for it used.

I guess I'll start "Brideshead Revisited" next.

Post 6343

van-smeiter

I must re-read Brideshead (revisit it you might saysmiley - smiley) It was the first Waugh I read and I had the preconception that it would be serious, dramatic &c. It is those things but, having now read some of Waugh's earlier works, I wonder if I missed a whole lot of humour in Brideshead. Maybe I didn't but I must read it again. Let me know what you think about it PC smiley - ok

Post 6344

Cheerful Dragon

Having caught bits of Brideshead on TV, I must get the book - and the DVDs! But I've already got over 200 books waiting to be read!smiley - wah

Note to self: Read more and spend less time on the computer!

Post 6345

Bagpuss

Well I'm continuing with Crap at the Environment, which is interesting and amusing, but not world-changingly great. Also reading a bridge book, which no-one else here is likely to be interested in.

Post 6346

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I wish I knew how to play bridge. Would reading a book about it help me learn to play? I'd be interested in it then.

I've never seen "Brideshead" but if I like the book enough maybe I'll check it out at some point. The only thing that's stopped me from buying the book till now was that I'm funny about buying movie tie-ins (I normally won't) and I couldn't find any other edition that didn't cost a fortune. I've settled for the tie-in edition because it was only $4.50. smiley - winkeye

My unread books pile is catching up to yours, Cheerful Dragon. 64 books I've bought for myself, plus at least three dozen belonging to my better half that I haven't gotten to read yet.

Post 6347

Bagpuss

It's not a beginner's book, sorry. Reading a book could help you learn to play, but there's no substitute for actually playing it.

Post 6348

Metal Chicken

Maybe I should give bridge a go sometime, I've a number of friends who play quite seriously but I've never tried to learn. I generally prefer board games to card games.

We've just put up a new bookcase and I discovered lots of books I've not read as we loaded it from the piles of books lying around. So I'm just starting Laurie Lee's "Cider with Rosie" - must have been hidden in a pile for years and I'd completely forgotten about it.

Post 6349

Cheerful Dragon

I'm working my way through the Bolitho books I inherited. I know I've read a few of them, but I can't remember which so I'll have to read them all from the start. Just finishing Stand Into Danger, then I'll start In Gallant Company.

Post 6350

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Usborne book of Polar Explorations smiley - ok so its a children's book but they make good reads.

Post 6351

Sho - employed again!

The Sea for Breakfast by Lilian Beckwith. It's an ancient tome (mine is from 1977 but it was published at the beginning of the 60s I think)

About life in a croft on a Scottish isle (not sure which one). I think this is the 2nd of a series, but it's hilarious. Puts me in mind of One Pair of Hands by Monica Dickens.

Post 6352

house_in_the_country

At the present, I'm reading The Butt by Will Self & also thumbing through Using Microsoft Office, Home & Student by Bott & Leonhard.

Post 6353

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

I iz mostly reading "Necrosphere" by Robert Rankin, having finished "Blood sucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore.

I appear to be on a humour book trip. I wonder if Stephen Walker has put anything out lately. smiley - ermsmiley - ermsmiley - erm

Not according to google he doesn't, but there is another installment from the Accomplice series by Steve Aylett I haven't read - must get that.

Post 6354

pedro

I've been reading 'Matter', SF by Iain M Banks. smiley - erm It's ok, but no more than that. The guy really is on auto-pilot these days.

Also have two Aubrey/Maturin novels waiting to be read.smiley - biggrin I think there are only two more after these ones.smiley - sadface They really are wonderful books. Apart from writing like an expert on history, sailing ships and tactics, and espionage and politics, Patrick O'Brian also is an expert on people. The blurbs say they're the best historical novels of all time, and I'd love to read better.

Post 6355

Bagpuss

I'm on the sci-fi too: Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton. I'm impressed at the believable universe of the nearish future (a couple of hundred years hence) and characters. The book's huge so the plot's only just beginning, but I'm intrigued as to how the different strands will fit together.

Post 6356

A Super Furry Animal

>> 've been reading 'Matter', SF by Iain M Banks. It's ok, but no more than that. The guy really is on auto-pilot these days. <<

Yeah, I agree, I'm gonna stop buying his books the minute they're published. The last few (well, going back to Dead Air and Look To Windward) have been disappointing.

I just finished Kazuo Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. A lot of stuff happens, without anything ever really happening. Much is left unresolved or unexplained. Yes, it's atmospheric, and I'm sure well-researched...but it doesn't really add up.

I'm not really sure what to make of Kazuo Ishiguro. The only book that I've really understood ("enjoyed" would be the wrong description, I think) is Never Let Me Go. What do others think?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6357

Sho - employed again!

Never read any of his - but I have one somewhere way down in the "to be read pile" (oh yes, Never Let Me Go - did he win a prize for that?)

I've just started Redcoat by Bernard Cornwell. It seems it's a standalone - amazing.

Post 6358

van-smeiter

Cornwell had planned a Butlins series but the interest wasn't there!smiley - winkeye Sorry, couldn't resist smiley - smiley

Buried For Pleasure- Edmund Crispin

Post 6359

Sho - employed again!

smiley - rofl Butlins smiley - rofl

Post 6360

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

Bagpuss :

"I'm on the sci-fi too: Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton. I'm impressed at the believable universe of the nearish future (a couple of hundred years hence) and characters. The book's huge so the plot's only just beginning, but I'm intrigued as to how the different strands will fit together."

Pandora's Star is only the first half of the story. The second half is "Judas Unchained" All in it's a good story.

I've not long finished "The Dreaming Void" by the same author, set in the same universe a couple of thousand years later.

Key: Complain about this post