A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 6381

Bagpuss

Reading two fiction books at the moment:

Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell. It's the sequel to Harlequin continuing with Thomas of Hookton's quest for the Holy Grail. Rather more down to earth and brutal than you might think from that description.

Saturnalia by Linsey Davis. Marcus Didius Falco's latest case.

Post 6382

pedro

I'm reading The Music of the Primes by Marcus du Sautoy. It's about prime numbers and the search to prove the Reimann Hypothesis, which would probably be the greatest achievement in maths since Pythagoras, apparently.

I actually started reading this a while back, left it, and found it again in the library. It's quite good, but not great. One thing that is good is that it abounds with the histories of the geniuses who invented (or discovered*) modern mathematics. The intellectual ferment of maths is truly wonderful. It's just a shame it's so hard to understand, even compared to physics (a la Brief History of Time etc).

*There's a thread which would rapidly ascend over my head.

Post 6383

Metal Chicken

Currently switching between "Cider with Rosie" and Terry Pratchett's "Nation".

Post 6384

Cheerful Dragon

Started volume 1 of Little Dorrit, and I'm also reading Daily Life in Medieval Times by Frances and Joseph Gies.

Post 6385

pedro

What's 'Nation' about, MC?

Post 6386

Metal Chicken

I'm only a few chapters in, but "Nation" is very different from the Discworld novels. Based on a small ocean island where a giant wave wipes out all the inhabitants except one boy and a survivor from a shipwreck. Set in what feels like a British Empire Victorian time.

I'm reseving judgement till I've read more, enjoyable so far but probably aimed at those younger than I am.

MC

Post 6387

You can call me TC

I'm always at a loss what to choose, as I only have a short time every so often in England at a bookshop or at the airport. (I kick myself every time for buying the books so expensively at the airport, but I always seem to have just finished one and need something to read on the plane).

This time I picked a trusted name: C J Sansom. I loved "Sovereign" and am now enjoying "Dissolution". Even when nothing is actually happening in the story, it is still very entertaining reading.

I heard Terry Pratchett in an interview about "Nation" - I hadn't realised it was so far from the Discworld environment. Will probably get that for Christmas - or at least my son will.

Post 6388

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

Re Nation,

Yes, it is set in Victorian times. The Island is in the Pacific, and I can't tell you any more than that really, as it would give too much of the plot away.

I kind of got the impression it's aimed toward more of a teen adience as well, but it is well written and an enjoyable yard all the same.

Post 6389

Sho - employed again!

TC I've given up on bookshops in the UK - it's all more of the same (misery memoirs, celebrity chefs, DaVinci-code-wannabes and Sex-&-shoping-chick"lit")

I go to charity shops and spend 20 quid on whatever catches my eye. It's been an interesting ride this time ranging from Lillian Beckwith to Bernard Cornwell.

Currently, however, reading Enquiry by Dick Francis

Post 6390

Bagpuss

There are other books available, at least where I work. We have quite a bit of Cornwell - I know because I was trying to get it all on the $%&* shelf.

Post 6391

Sho - employed again!

Krabat by Ottfried Preußler. I saw the film not long ago which was great, now I'm reading the book, which is much better.

smiley - chef has finally caved in and read the first of the (chronological) Sharpes. He's hooked (yes! Result!)

Post 6392

van-smeiter

Finished Edmund Crispin and then sped through Mrs Christie's "The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side"

Currently on Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent"; informative and entertaining.

My parents visited a book fair or market or something when they were on holiday in Norfolk recently and bought me six or seven books so I now have a new Steinbeck to read,"Sweet Thursday", and Kingsley Amis' "The Riverside Villas Murder".

Post 6393

pedro

Found another two Aubrey-Maturin books in the library, 'The Commodore' and 'The Yellow Admiral'. Both superb.

There's only two left.smiley - yikessmiley - wah

Started to re-continue The Music of the Primes.

Post 6394

A Super Furry Animal

I read terry Pratchett's Making Money on holiday. Quite good, although I find that Pratchett's law of diminishing returns is beginning to kick in.

I am now bookless. Anyone got any ideas?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6395

pedro

Master & Commander is the first in the Aubrey-Maturin series. It's really quite good.smiley - winkeye

Have you read I, Claudius? So's that.

Post 6396

A Super Furry Animal

I've read master & Commander - although that's the only one I've read...what's the next one in the series?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6397

pedro

Post Captain, then HMS Surprise.

Care to recommend a novel in return?

I gave my sister a list of about 10 books to buy me for Christmas. It was a good idea at the time, but now I can't buy any of them before Xmas in case she's already got one. I'm really looking forward to 'Your Inner Fish'.

Post 6398

A Super Furry Animal

One of the best books I've read in recent times is Special Topics In Calamity Physics, by Marisha Pessl. If you enjoyed The Secret History (Donna Tartt) then you'll probably enjoy this.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6399

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I can second I, Claudius. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Finally finishing up with Brideshead Revisited- I've been too busy at work to read and too many pages have come loose to manage it on the train without losing any.

After that I've got The Crying Of Lot 49 (I've loved all of the Pynchon I've read so far) and Anna Karenina to read yet. And then I'll be in need of recommendations, too.

Unless, of course, I track down those books Sho was talking about on her recent journal...

Post 6400

pedro

I've just bought Special Topics In Calamity Physics.

It'd better be good.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post