A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 6361

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

I seem to recall being prompted to read Nancy Drew so I've gone with this suggestion and am in the midst of reading Nancy Drew - False Impressions, which is fantastic smiley - boing

Post 6362

pedro

Finished 'Matter'. The ending (as in the last 2 pages) was the best part of the book. There's a glossary and an epilogue, so it came quite abruptly.

Now onto 'The Wine-dark Sea', an Aubrey/Maturin by Patrick O'Brian. Excellent.smiley - smiley

Post 6363

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Midnight Feast ...a book of short stories smiley - smiley

Post 6364

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Really enjoyed reading Dante's Inferno so I'm going to read Purgatory next.

Post 6365

Cheerful Dragon

Sloop of War by Alexander Kent. It's another Bolitho book. I'm debating taking a break from Bolitho (3 in a row, so far) and starting Little Dorrit. Yes, I know the adaptation is on TV, but I haven't watched any of it.

Post 6366

night-eyes

Finished Spook country by William Gibson the other day. Some things did not add up quite so well, but the story was flowing nicely and the characters were original so I enjoyed reading it a lot! smiley - smiley

Post 6367

Yvonne aka india

I had the whole thing, The Divine Comedy, in one book. Don't know whether that made the Dante easier or harder, but it was still fantastic even if it was a long read.

Post 6368

Cheerful Dragon

I had that, too. The translation was in blank verse, which probably lost a lot of the feel of the original. I've since bought the Divine Comedy as three separate books, translated by Dorothy L. Sayers. Her translation is in 'triplets', where the first and third lines rhyme. (There's probably a name for that form of poetry, but I don't know it.) I don't know if this will be any easier to read than the blank verse copy, but it may be closer to the original.

Post 6369

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Mine is three separate volumes, too. I should check when I get home and see which translation I have.

About halfway through "Brideshead"- been busy this week and wasn't able to find a seat on the train every day on top of it- and am enjoying it so far.

Post 6370

Cheerful Dragon

Just started The Naked Civil Servant by Quentin Crisp.

Post 6371

Cheerful Dragon

Finished Quentin Crisp. I think he can best be described as strange, because of his outlook on life rather than his sexuality.

Started Daily Life in Medieval Times by Frances and Joseph Gies. I'm also half-way through another Bolitho book, To Glory We Steer. That will definitely be the last for a while. When I've finished it, I'm definitely starting Little Dorrit.

Post 6372

I keep meaning to read that Quentin Crisp, and then forgetting about it. smiley - doh

Post 6373

Sho - employed again!

The Doll's House - Evelyn Anthony

Total poop. The story might be ok but the writing - oi!
(maybe it was a NaNo novel!)

Post 6374

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Dorothy L. Sayers and in triplets too. smiley - ok

Post 6375

Yvonne aka india

Not finished any yet, but have started another one; Freakonomics.

Post 6376

A Super Furry Animal

I've just finished Gentlemen Of The Road, another one by Michael Chabon.

I'm still undecided about this chap. Maybe I need to read his magnum opus.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6377

He wrote one about characters named Cavalier and Clay that I found so boring I never even finished it. Of course, this may mean that you'd really like it. smiley - winkeye Seriously, though, he didn't impress me much.

Almost done with Brideshead. The spine broke so it's hard to read on the train without the pages falling out...

Post 6378

A Super Furry Animal

That'd be the one...he won a Pulitzer Prize for it. Which is normally given to books that consider themselves to be litt-ruh-chur. This bloke clearly links he is, cos he writes notes about the book in the back of his books (at least, he has in the two that I've read) which I always consider to be slightly up-your-own-arse-y.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6379

Up-his-own-arsey isn't far from the mark, from what I remember of the book.

And now I'll know to avoid his others.

Post 6380

Sho - employed again!

I really liked Kavalier & Clay. It has one of the best kisses ever in it. smiley - kiss

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more