A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 6441

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Taken a hiatus from the previous list to indulge in re-reading Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows.

Post 6442

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

Currently reading The Onion's "Our dumb world"

It's a guide book to planet earth - just not very politically correct. Examples of what the content is like are 'Germany - Genocide free since April 11 1946' and 'Scotland - Has a long and proud tradition of not being English'.

It's definately not one for the easily offended, but makes me smiley - rofl every time I dip into it.

Post 6443

A Super Furry Animal

HI got a copy of that when she left her most recent job...it's very funny indeed!

Cameroon: they couldn't be bothered to research the place, so just made up stuff.

Currently reading The Triumph Of The Political Class, by Peter Oborne. It describes what's wrong with the political process in the UK and how this has developed over the last 25 years. Whilst the principal villains of the piece are the Labour party, the previous Conservative administration and current opposition, as well as the Lib Dems and Scottish parties, are also part of the problem.

Very interesting, I'm hope that he concludes with some remedies.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6444

Metal Chicken

Been off work sick all week so making good headway through the doorstop that is Stephen Donaldson's "The Runes of the Earth". Really not sure why I'm perservering, it's just reminding me of his verbosity and thin stretching of imaginative ideas across multiple trilogies which was why I stopped reading Donaldson years ago. Really enjoyed the first book in the first trilogy when I first read it years ago though. Ho hum.

"Pies and Prejudice" was a much more light-hearted and easily digestible book. Maybe I should go for another along those lines.

Post 6445

Bagpuss

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman. Finally got round to it. Unfortunately I can only vaguely recall what happened in Northern Lights, but I think I'm catching up.

Post 6446

Lt. Thrace (formerly Death of Rats and Rodent like humans)

'Whit' by Ian Banks smiley - smiley

Post 6447

Cheerful Dragon

The Ascent of Money by Niall Fergusson. The TV series was fascinating, but too much information to absorb in one hour chunks.

Post 6448

A Super Furry Animal

>> 'Whit' by Ian Banks <<

What do you think of it so far? Have you read any other Banks or is this your first?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6449

Hey,

ive read plenty of other banks books, but ive tended to stick more with his sci fi (m) banks stuff. After reading 'the bridge' which i thought was bloody brilliant, i decided to give his non sci fi stuff a go.

I think Banks is probably one of the most talented writers living today smiley - biggrin

Thrace smiley - winkeye

Post 6450

pedro

Hi Thrace,

I wouldn't judge Banks on Whit. Earlier is definitely better in his case, and I'm sure RF would agree.

I've not read anything for about a fortnight.smiley - sadface But xmas is coming and my sister is getting me some books that I requested.smiley - biggrin I'm really hoping for 'Your Inner Fish'. Will start on Boxing Day I'm sure.

Post 6451

Sho - employed again!

Just started Flashman (I bought it with a €50 Amazon voucher I got from my workmates) by George MacDonald Frasier

Seems quite good so far.

Post 6452

Cheerful Dragon

Has anybody seen the ads for '100 Classic Books' for the Nintendo DS? A certain well-known internet store has it for £15, which works out at 15p per book. I already have a lot of the books included on the card-thingy (don't know the technical term for it), but a lot of mine are hardbacks and would weigh a ton if I tried to take them on holiday. This would give me 100 books in a very small package, and they're a bargain even at full price. I enjoy classics, so this is definitely one to get.

Just started Sharpe's Escape by Bernard Cornwell.

Post 6453

A Super Furry Animal

Is "Sharpe's Escape" considered a classic these days?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 6454

Sho - employed again!

yep
smiley - laugh

seriously though, it is pretty good

Post 6455

Cheerful Dragon

Anything about Sharpe is a classic, IMO.

I don't have the DS thing yet, but I have ordered it. It will arrive early next year.

Post 6456

Bagpuss

I can't imagine reading books on a wee DS screen is much fun, however cheap they are.

Sho - I think Flashman's fantastic. Wait till he's in trouble to see him at his best. Er, his worst I mean.

Post 6457

Sho - employed again!

to be honest he seems a little more obsessed with sex than I'm used to from Sharpe and Hornblower (and goodness knows, those two were at it all the time... oh, not together, I mean)

Post 6458

van-smeiter

smiley - laugh What do you expect with a name like hornblower? smiley - winkeye

Post 6459

Sho - employed again!

I'm still trying to get over the head-picture that created of the TV Sharpe and the TV Hornblower. I need to have a quiet lie down in a darkened room.

Post 6460

I am currently reading "Thud" by Terry Pratchett. Not one of his best, but still well worth a read smiley - smiley
I'm also simultaneously reading "Watchmen" again in anticipation of the new film.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more