A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 6281

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Gosh did I have to restrain myself from ordering several Pamplemousse books from Amazon. They appear to have lots, and I'm kind of a completist.

I hope the library has one or some of them, because I'd like to check them out.

I'm still reading "Watchmen"; been too busy during the days and too crowded on the train ride home to do much reading over the last week. smiley - cross

Post 6282

KB

Today's a day for Ulysses by Jamsey boy. Some days just have the feeling that nothing should be done, bar lounging around and chuckling at Ulysses and eating cake.

The one after that will probably be some of George Orwell's essays.

Post 6283

SteamShovel

Michael Moorcock - The End of All Songs (last Dancers at the End of Time book).

Post 6284

Cheerful Dragon

I've given up on the inherited books and decided to focus on my own unread collection (150+ so far). I've started Cold Burial by Clive Powell-Williams, about a man who took his young cousin and another young man on an expedition into Canada's Barren Grounds. None of them survived.

Post 6285

Sho - employed again!

Life is to short for Ulysses. smiley - winkeye

Post 6286

KB

That just means you haven't got the joke! smiley - winkeye

Post 6287

Sho - employed again!

I got the joke - but it's not funny. The unfunniest Irish Joke ever smiley - tongueout

Post 6288

KB

Nah, you just didn't get it then. You only think you did. smiley - tongueout

As for the worst Irish joke, surely that must be Westlife. No, wait, Val Doonican. No, actually, Terry Wogan...OK, I'll stop or I could be typing for some time. smiley - winkeye

Post 6289

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

I've just been to the charidee shop, and I've now got another 3 books for my 'to do' list...

The diving bell and the butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby, for litarary poseur moments.
The world according to Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson for modern realism.
Dawkins God by Alister McGrath for a bloody good laugh. My copy has underlining in...lots and lots of underlining!

Post 6290

pedro

I've read Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. Really good, an epic tale of mathematical discovery, which encompassed lots of maths on the way. It was noticeable though how less and less got explained as the maths got more complicated. Guess it would just be too much for us mere mortals after some point.

Also Making Money by Terry Pratchett. He's got to be the most readable author going. Also pretty good.

Post 6291

Cheerful Dragon

Fermat's Last Theorem and The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly are both on my 'Not Read' list. I'll get round to them - eventually! Regarding how sci-fi writers can't predict what will happen, there's an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Picard refers to Fermat's Last Theorem still not being solved (some time in the 24th century, as I recall). I smile whenever I see that bit.

Currently reading Bess by Anne Beer, about the wife of Sir Walter Ralegh. Also reading The Talisman by Sir Walter Scott. I've downloaded the Project Gutenberg ebook of Quentin Durward, 'cos the copy we inherited was abridged and I wanted to read that.

Post 6292

Sho - employed again!

just started (thanks to PC smiley - kiss) I Capture The Castle by Dodie smith smiley - ok

Post 6293

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

>>there's an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Picard refers to Fermat's Last Theorem still not being solved (some time in the 24th century, as I recall). I smile whenever I see that bit.<<

smiley - laugh

Post 6294

Bagpuss

Having studied a lot of the number theory that goes towards proving Fermat's Last Theorem (or Wiles's Theorem as we should probably call it) I can confirm that it'd be rather tricky to include in a popular mathematics book.

I've not finished Big Bang yet, but I'm now also reading Sam & Max - Surfin' the Highway by Steve Purcell. It's a collection of all the comics that have appeared in print featuring the Freelance Police (don't ask - it's never properly explained). Generally quite insane.

Post 6295

Metal Chicken

Getting stuck into Jasper Fforde's "First among sequels".

MC

Post 6296

Sho - employed again!

Snow - Orhan Pamuk

Seems pretty good so far

Post 6297

pedro

Read 'Century Rain', another SF novel by Alistair Reynolds. Really rather good. This is how epic SF should be.smiley - smiley

Am nearly finished 'The Bourne Supremacy', which although the plots are wildly different, is quite similar to the films in the way the action sequences are superbly done and well thought out, and its emotional, erm, shallowness. One thing about it though is the absolutely *dreadful* use of italics which does the book no favours at all. They really jar, page after page.

Post 6298

Cheerful Dragon

Reading 'Shipwrecked at the Top of the World' by David Roberts.

Post 6299

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Took Sho's (et al) advice and am reading "Vile Bodies". So far, so good.

I'm also trying to finish Watchmen, which I have liked very much! smiley - cool

Post 6300

Bagpuss

Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell. Just started it so I'll let you know if it's any good.

Key: Complain about this post