A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Tret?

Post 3881

Potholer

Or even heat -> het, as in 'All het up'

Tret?

Post 3882

Gnomon - time to move on

Eat and Meet come from Anglo-Saxon etan and metan. A.S. used a lot of different ways of making past tenses and these have survived into Modern English as irregular verbs.

Treat came into English from Old French traitier, so it would not have originally had a past tense "tret". Verbs adopted into English from other languages in the last 1000 years normally use regular past tenses.

So it appears that "tret" is formed by irregularising the regular "treated". This is a perfectly respectable thing to do. Many irregular words in Modern English were once regular. As old irregular forms get forgotten (wrought for worked, for example), new ones get added (caught was originally catched). In America, the word "dove" is an acceptable past tense of dive, while "snuck" for sneaked is becoming respectable. Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer" is full of words like "clumb" for climbed.

Tret?

Post 3883

beanfoto

Remind me to introduce you to Notts Derby dialect sometime ( He tret her to a gud....)

Tret?

Post 3884

Gone again

How refreshing! smiley - smiley Almost anywhere else in the universe, this discussion would be moving toward the view that irregularities should be brutally suppressed, and their supporters killed very slowly. A language is an evolving artwork, created by its speakers. From what you say, Gnomon, I assume you agree?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Tret?

Post 3885

Gnomon - time to move on

"A language is an evolving artwork, created by its speakers"

Absolutely. You will get a lot of support for that view here on the British English thread.

Poppycock

Post 3886

Wand'rin star

I don't think this is actually a reply. The word just came into my head and I thought I'd like some elucidation (from Ben perhaps?)smiley - star

Poppycock

Post 3887

Gnomon - time to move on

from Dutch "soft s**t" (pap as in English and kak=s**t).

Or should that be k*k = s**t?

Poppycock

Post 3888

Wand'rin star

Of course. That's repaired that synapse. So why are/were fiddlesticks particularly nonsensical?smiley - star

Fiddesticks

Post 3889

Gnomon - time to move on

Possibly because like fruitcake, they start with the letter f? As does a well known four-letter word. In the same vein, my boss calls upon the name of that well known cartoon character, Obelix, when things go wrong.

Fiddlesticks

Post 3890

Wand'rin star

Thank you again. That one's very near the subject of the original thread of which we may not speak.
The names of the Asterix characters are much funnier in English than any of the other languages I've seen them in (The word we're looking for there is "swank";would that be a conflation of 'swell Yank'?)smiley - star

Fiddlesticks

Post 3891

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Methinks 'swank' is what one would do at that moment of indecision when the proposition 'sink or swim' is tabled and no other remedial action is immediately forthcoming.

The other possibilty is similar to 'snob' a printer's contraction of the phrase 'sans noblise'.

smiley - silly
~j~

Retronym

Post 3892

Gone again

Any thoughts on "retronym", a term I thought I'd coined myself, but I think I must've picked it up somewhere without realising. A great word.

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Retronym

Post 3893

Gnomon - time to move on

Would you care to elucidate?

Retronym

Post 3894

Gone again

On what it means, I assume? OK:

Once there were guitars. Then the electric guitar was born. Shortly afterward, the retronym 'acoustic guitar' was coined. It refers to an extended or changed original term, changed to distinguish it from newer variants. Another example would be 'analogue ' as 'digital' (or computerised in some sense) equivalents are spawned.

I like the word, but I can't decide if I like the necessity for it. Perhaps I feel the original term should not be the one that has to change, having been around for longer. Or maybe I'm just rambling. smiley - smiley

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Retronym

Post 3895

alji's

Snail mail is a retronym because it referes to the mail that came before electronic mail.

Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard

Retronym

Post 3896

Potholer

I'm not entirely sure adding extra discriminating words really justifies a specific term.

However, as examples of the phenomenon, I guess 'real ale' and 'organic farming' would count.

Retronym

Post 3897

plaguesville

Not to mention George Formby senior whose more famous offspring held the title George Formby.

And closer to home, Zaphod Beeblebrox whose forebears were Zaphod Beeblebrox II, III, IV, because of an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine.

Retronym

Post 3898

Gone again

My home page claims that the last posting on this thread appeared 15 minutes ago, but when I open this page, the latest entry I can find claims to be nine hours old. This has been happening to me for a few days now. Is it just me, or has the h2g2 server got a problem?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Retronym

Post 3899

Potholer

It's not just you. See :-

F48000?thread=167624?thread=&skip=0&show=20

Retronym

Post 3900

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Retronyms! smiley - biggrin Love it!
Many of the examples that first came to mind walked a fine line between oxymorons and redundancies.
But I thought of a few others:

Manual typewriter.
Hand drill.
Rotary dial.
Smooth bore cannon.
Sailing ship.
Horse-drawn engine.

One of the earliest examples might be 'nouveau rich'.
Or would it be 'old money'?
smiley - winkeye
~j~

Key: Complain about this post