A Conversation for Talking Point: 11 September, 2001

life after the WTC and DC attacks

Post 821

Anne of a Thousand Days

I was born in the United States of America, and after 45 years of life on the planet...I have seen and heard many things. What we in America don't hear enough of has been the information in the last few years of what really is going on in the outside world. In a land of blow-dried and excessively coiffed news folks who special in "Happy News" we suffer from our ignorance and.
Many of Us truly were surprized on the day that attacks started in NYC and DC. I had some idea that we were due for problems when just 2 weeks before, the Federal warrants were served to seize the hard drives and files of an Internet Service Provider in Richardson, a suburb of Dallas. They had been running the websites and the internet service that allowed many of those terrorists to plan their acts.
President George Bush directed yesterday that the assets of many of the companies and organizations that have funneled money and supplies to these barbarians be frozen. This is just a first step in stopping the Death Pipeline from continuing....but there is so much ahead.
I have never been this frightened for the future of the world and for my country. I have been unable to sleep and fear the inevitable: a long and protracted war that will leave both sides desimated and forever changed.
I did not vote for George W. Bush, or for his father.....but at this point he is MY President , and I will support him. There is a quaint Texas expression that says : "Dance with the One that Brung Ya"....and at this point I sure hope he is dancing fast, because the whole World is watching and waiting.

Post 822

FairlyStrange

Whisky, Grand Protector of half empty bottles. (Scout)...I was beginning to think I was the only one who had given that scenario any thought.

Not something I'm comfortable dwelling on, though.smiley - sadface

NM

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 823

Cyberspook, Thingite Grand Inquisitor of Disgruntled Cat Toys and Lover of Small, Feline Acupuncturists

Terrible... terrible...

What's even worse is what happens when you put the cann sign of the plane into wingdings font... Q33NY becomes a plane and two towers accompanied by a death's head... Just saw that this morning.

I really hope everybody is ok and not too badly shaken... The media has made way too much of this and I think it's getting to people.

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 824

Cyberspook, Thingite Grand Inquisitor of Disgruntled Cat Toys and Lover of Small, Feline Acupuncturists

Terrible... terrible...

What's even worse is what happens when you put the call sign of the plane into wingdings font... Q33NY becomes a plane and two towers accompanied by a death's head... Just saw that this morning.

I really hope everybody is ok and not too badly shaken... The media has made way too much of this and I think it's getting to people.

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 825

3 White Mice

Just finished some interesting reading in the Library of Congress, and came across this little gem.

A report, entitled "Conventional Arms Transfers to Developing Nations, 1993-2000," by the Congressional Research Service said weapons sales in 2000 increased eight percent last year to about $36.9 billion. It was the third consecutive increase in global arms sales.

A further report from an independent news service MENL details the deals that were in progress in August, 2001.

A cynical analysis: Arms and Aid a self perpetuating industry. And all countries are involved. Guess its business as usual.

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 826

Captain Kebab

The thing about the plane call sign spelling out awful things in Wingdings is an urban myth - see the conversation thread 'Weird Wingdings' in Ask h2g2. Apparently there have been stories of what Wingdings can spell around for a long time.

Q33NY does translate into Wingdings as described (try it), but it wasn't the callsign of either of the planes.

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 827

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

A brief note about dullmen whose domain name is self-explanatory, a truly debilitating tribute to dullness of all kinds and a site where uninteresting men are encouraged to be dull together in a safe and welcoming environment. Among other treasures on the site is the most boring trivia that I have ever encountered - just the thing to bring that dreary dinner party down to a whole new level of tedium.

One example to help you sleep tonight: "In WordPerfect 6.1, when using 12-point Times Roman, non-boldface asterisks have six points, whereas boldface asterisks have five. Not so, however, in 12-point Courier, where asterisks have five points in both cases.

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 828

Beth

Hi 3 White mice

If you want a some really interesting facts, try tracking down info on who gets the big government contracts for landmine clearance. Landmine manufacturersof course!

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 829

3 White Mice

Never let facts or truth get in the way of a good story. I'll just keep trawling then.

smiley - winkeye

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 830

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Trawling is okay. Just no trolling.

Loony, I like dull and uninteresting facts about typefaces. That's the sort of esoteric information you can haul out at parties and drive away a whole bunch of people you don't want to talk to... smiley - winkeye

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 831

Mund

We're running into the ground here. Should we agree to terminate the thread?

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 832

FairlyStrange

<<>>

<<>>

<<>>

Welcome to the original post.....I think we've got just a touch off topic!LOL

To answer the original question....eeemmm, ok, we all have and the news websites are now up and running just fine!smiley - winkeye

NM

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 833

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

I think things are quieting down... but anybody's welcome to post new thoughts to this thread. I'm not going to unsubscribe!

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 834

Yesterday I read a quote attributed to a US-based rabbi. Unbelievably, it made sense (at least to me) - "If we want a world of peace and justice, we need to be more peaceful and more just".

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 835

EtherZev

We try Loony, we do try. Trouble is it all seems to stop at the Temple door.

smiley - smiley

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 836

Meanwhile, at the cave door...

Don't let us keep you... Missing you already! Want a hand with those bags?

smiley - winkeye

Post 837

tiggsaviates

read your posting and about the dance. I've been posting this to radio stations to try and get people to listen and think a bit before acting. the song is most apropriate for now

The following U2 track struck a heart wrenching chord when I played it this morning on my way to work in my car. Being an avid listener of Virgin whilst online working on the net I thought maybe you could share it with the other listeners at this tragic time in history.

Sadly I think man stepped off the ladder of humanity on Tuesday. We need to stand together and shout out for all of mankind against the horrors that take place all over the world and for all the innocent victims, of all nations as we did in the 80's after the horrors in Africa. We've done it before and we can do it again.

Please play this track 'Peace On Earth' by U2 from the album 'All that you can't leave behind'

Post 838

Pyrex Muse of Unbreakable Space-age Wonder Glass, Student of Life, Keeper of the Seven Keys of Ventuslor

Ho ha! Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men?

smiley - hsifsmiley - smileysmiley - fish

Post 839

Universal Granny

smiley - peacedove

Post 840

Pandora...Born Again Tart

Two planes? Three? Er, pardon but since the plane where the passangers saved the day by speeding into the groud in a PA field...that sorta' stuck in my head since the plane went directly above my cabin & having been a flyer, as well as the psychic stuff that happens with me...I ran out the door screaming that they were crashing the plane to save people on the ground! Let's not forget them.

But as someone was saying...too much in the news. I don't think the vast magority of children need to be baraged with this type of thing. Bad things happen everfyday in every Country. As do wonderful things.

smiley - zenCarry on...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more