A Conversation for Goth - a Lifestyle Choice

Grebs

Post 41

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

wait a minute. if grebs are goth and punk and punk is about individualism, then why are you giving us rules to conform to (hoodie) in order to be one? Sorry, ive been working ont his "individuality is conformity" for a while.

Grebs

Post 42

Tube - the being being back for the time being

I never really figured what you mean by grebs anyway. smiley - erm

Grebs

Post 43

Researcher 185550

It is a tough one to be sure. Talk to Angel about it. I got the punk idea from the abundance of safety pins some grebs use. But really, I'm not the expert. I know some stuff, but by no means all.

Grebs

Post 44

Tube - the being being back for the time being

I feel that Angel and you have some different concepts of grebs altogether. And I've seen safety pins on Goths as well ... just check out
http://www.wave-gotik-treffen.de/Bilder/wgt0036.jpg
http://www.wave-gotik-treffen.de/Bilder/wgt0133.jpg

not an abundance... smiley - erm

As the entry says: "As with many things about Goths, one can only say what is common, not what is necessary."

It's a hard line to draw smiley - shrug
.. just take a look at the "Anyone remember Bauhaus?" thread.

Grebs

Post 45

Researcher 185550

In that case, I conceed to Angel. Though I feel I've said more about the visual and Angel has said more about the philosophy. Angel should know best, being a Greb.

About the hoodies- assumably you don't need to wear hoodies to be a Greb- they're just popular. Like black with Goths.

Grebs

Post 46

Anachronism

Never heard of grebs before... are they somehow
related to grebo's? Grebo is sort of rock/biker
metal stuff (biker jackets that sort of thing for
clothing).

Check out bands like Zodiac Mindwarp and the
Love Reaction for Grebo getting close to goth
(ok, they're not goth, but I know a lot of
goths who like 'em, and quite a few goth clubs
that play 'em).

-
Anachronism

Grebs

Post 47

manda1111

Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but if
Researcher "Anachronism"

would go back to there own page and then click on the "EDIT PAGE" button and then write a little something about your self then a ACE can come and welcome you there properly
Sorry for interrupting your conversation smiley - ok

Manda smiley - magic

Grebs

Post 48

Researcher 185550

Have any of you seen Spiderman? That bit just before the cage is closing, there is a guy in a hoodie with spiky bleached hair. He /looks/ greb. Yeah, they're possibly related to grebos.

Grebs

Post 49

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

dont really think that grebs are like grebo- grebo was a genre of music Pop Will Eat Itself, along with the Gaye Bykers on Acid used a fusion of rock, pop and rap-no goth or punk. The grebo CULTURE was basically just grimy and grungy - described by Jason Ankeney as whose fusing Hell's Angels grunge with the psychedelic excesses of the hippie counterculture.

Grebs

Post 50

Researcher 185550

Okay. Possibly grebs are mainstream goths who don't want to be goths because they think it's sad/depressing/moronic. But they still have, to one who hasn't read this page, gothy tendencies ie loud heavy music.

Grebs

Post 51

Roachy

Just wondering if the term 'greb' in any way relates to the term 'greeb' or 'greebo' used by uneducated 'townie' types to refer to any type of 'alternative person' in the mid-late 80's/early 90's. Not entirely sure where I first heard it, but I distinctly remember someone shouting it as an insult to me when was outside a goth club once, and i'm pretty sure I wasn't wearing adidas (unless they were running a pvc hotpants line of clothes at the timesmiley - biggrin)

Grebs

Post 52

Researcher 185550

Maybe. Or it might all just be coincidence. Arising from:
"GREB!!!!!"
"Why'd you say that?"
"Worl, the way they look, they do just look like something that should be called a greb, no?"
"Ur, Yeah. GREB!!!!!!!!"
"GREB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

etc.

Grebs

Post 53

Roachy

Ok, just been to a mates site....who describes himself as a greb, and found a touch of history....and I quote "Grebo Kingdom - In the 1870s, the Grebo chiefdoms of northeast Liberia united under a single king. Encouraged by French and British traders, the Grebo declared their independence and initiated economic relations with the colonial powers, free of the restrictions Liberia had placed on trade. After the Liberians were pushed out of several settlements, the U.S. Navy intervened. The commanding officer urged the Liberians to cease persecution of the local tribes, and was promptly ignored." - taken from http://www.grebo-heights.wox.org/smiley - biggrin

Grebs

Post 54

Researcher 185550

smiley - ok

Looks like it. Probably, though, the reason Grebs are Grebs now is because, well, that's what a Greb is, you know? The origin may just be lost. Or it may be that. I don't know.

Grebs

Post 55

Researcher 217632

I don't think grebs are a type of goth at all... they are just lumped in with us cos they don't easily fit into any other category and people like to categorise things... we often go to the same places of a night and these places are generally tightly-knit on a social level.. so I can see why the association has occured

Interesting discussion though..

Grebs

Post 56

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Apart from not liliting to black and puple and a tendancy toward hoodies there is little if anything to seperate Grebo from Goths in my experience... In my experience cutting mention some way back is more common amonst Goths though...

Grebs

Post 57

Researcher 185550

Interesting angles both of 'em.

Grebs

Post 58

Raven

aren't you guys just talking about a mosher?!?!

Grebs

Post 59

Raven

Grebs

Post 60

Raven

Key: Complain about this post