A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things that were cool in the '80ies

Post 1

Schmendrik

This is to all of you who grew up in the '80ies. Tell me about the things you remember, you liked or disliked and your typical '80ies adventures...
(A few hints: often include the words "Converse", "Jogging Hi", "Fitness" or "HeMan", also "bad music and haircuts" is allowed...)

Post 2

Biggy P (the artist phormerly known as phord)

yay ! HeMan and Skeletor !!!!

Post 3

Schmendrik

There has to be more than THIS...
TELL us!

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

I think "Chopper" bikes where an 80s thing - and they were really cool...until you fell onto that stupidly positioned gearshift!

Post 5

Prof. Rem

The sound of the cheap synthesizers.

Post 6

Crescent

Airwolf, A Team, Saturday afternoon wrestling with Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks, the Grifter bike, Manimal, Automan, baggy trousers, leading onto Madness, Adam Ant, Dallas, Dynasty, bad perms for men, the end of skin tight jeans, ripped jeans, Spectrum 48K, Ghostbusters, ET..............
BCNU - Crescent

Post 7

Is mise Duncan

The walkman...seemed like a good idea at the time, anyway...not so sure now.

Post 8

Munchkin

Dr. Who, Blakes 7, The Adventure Game (Gronda, Gronda), Transformers, V (the original series), Radio 1 when it had Steve Wright and DLT (it corrupted me at a very early age to put me right off it's current incarnation), Knight Rider, The BBC Micro (only 32K of RAM), Stop Motion Animation (from Ray Harryhausen to Morph) still being a series form of SFX rather than quaint, being safe in the knowledge that flares were dead, AND NEVER WOULD RETURN.

I think I will stop now, I'm starting to rant smiley - smiley

Post 9

Dinsdale Piranha

Spandau Ballet, haircuts with floppy fringes, Boris Becker, Live Aid, my wedding, the England Cricket team (esp. 1985 Ashes team).

Post 10

Silver Nemesis

Europe - the Final Countdown. Check out that hair!!!!! smiley - bigeyes

Post 11

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Crap hair in general, really - the genetically modified pineapple look sported by Howard Jones and Limahl from Kajagoogoo. smiley - smiley

Post 12

kimmy

AT LAST somebody else that remembers the adventure game...a classic of our time BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post 13

kimmy

LO LO Balls....looked like flying saucers, you stood on them and bounced....fingerless gloves, puff ball skirts, Wham!!, cabbage patch dolls, hooded tops, horace goes ski-ing, Frankie Says Relax T-Shirts, oh god this brings back memories!!! now i feel old

Post 14

Mylock

my ZX81,Ben Elton,The Jam,Spangles,Sta-Prest. Elite. Dungeons and Dragons. Deely Boppers, school discos. Megablast(Bomb the Bass).

However these days, it seems the coolest thing of the 80's was the end of them.

Post 15

Crescent

Elite -a true classic smiley - smiley Compact Discs, the classic Sinclair C5, fall of the Berlin Wall, Daley Thompson, good summers, Mr T, 'I am not a Stonker', Miners Strike, football hooliganism, Anglo-Irish agreement, PacMan, Marathons (as in the chocolate bar), Twin Peaks (just), Quantum Leap, BBC MicroComputers.............
BCNU - Crescent

Post 16

Mick & Hoppa Canuck

Adventure! Yeah, I'd forgotten! We used to have stacks of flip-chart paper with these maps drawn all over them...we played on an Apple II.
I still have a Commodore 64 in the basement somewhere, too.
Scarves and 'Ice Mist" hairspray were cool too (for guys)
I've got some pictures of me & my band about 1985 playing at a highschool dance; no eyeliner or lipstick (there Are limits!) but we had scarves & bandannas Everywhere and Hair just Shellac'ed with Ice Mist - BIG Hair! Poison/Motley Crue hair... Oh, I was SO cool!
I still listen to my vinyl, though it's getting difficult to find anybody who can sell me a new stylus anymore!
One of the neighbours' kids liked one song and asked me to "play that big, black CD again"...
PLT, Mick.

Post 17

Mick & Hoppa Canuck

PS I also have a Mini-Moog. So there.

Post 18

Wand'rin star

The only thing I really miss from your lists is Daley Thompson (walks on water) who still holds the Olympic record ( 1984 - 8847 points)

Post 19

Phil

Drought in Ethiopia, Band aid, Live aid (Bob 'give us your f**** money' Geldof), Frankie goes to Hollywood, Greenham Common protests.

Post 20

Cheerful Dragon

Chopper bikes were definitely 70s. I know this because a kid down our road had one. I know I was still at school - it might even have been junior school - and I left school in 1980. QEDsmiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post