A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 681

Orcus

Or Willy Wonka even smiley - winkeye

Is it me or is the guy who plays Grandpa Joe the guy who played O'Reilly in Fawlty Towers?
It certainly looks like him from the trailers I've seen.

Post 682

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

It is indeed the inestimable David Kelly, of Fawlty Towers and many others. A staple performer in British sitcoms and cinema for many many years.

He is 76 years old and gives a very touching performance that gives a keynote for the whole film.

David Morris' more down to earth Grandpa George, looking eerily like the spirit of Dahl himself, is also rather enjoyable.

smiley - shark

Post 683

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Apparently The kid who play young Wonka is from none other than my home town of Chesterfield.

Post 684

Orcus

Nice one, I must say I was surprised he's still alive.

Mind you, the last time I saw him he was playing a dodgy lottery winner in a UK comdey/drama about a lottery fraud in Ireland and he was a very athletic old man in it! smiley - ok

Post 685

flakey-lady.... you lookin' at me punk?

wasn't this man also in the comedy series robins nest as the one armed dishwasher..[the granddad in ww] thats going back some years now though..he was quite old then...crikeysmiley - ok

Post 686

smartblondwithabrain

hi there was interested in wat u discussing although my mum flaky lady is more into films than me.
Just seen creep, thought it was quite good a bit typical but still good. Then i saw white noise which was ok and amityville horror which i really liked. And now i got constantine to watch soon so will hav to see wat its like.

Post 687

i was disappointed in creep but glad you enjoyed bor [ my nickname for smartblond] white noise better than i anticipated...

just watched alexander with other daughter...in fact we didn't watch all of it as it was tripe.... he was boring, and how stupid having irish accents..at least jolie tried an accent...

we were hoping to see an infamous scene where farrell shows his rather large willy but doesn't seem to be on theresmiley - wah thats how bored we were in the end... sorry but 2 out of 10 and thats just for magnificent backdrop of babylon....

Post 688

I saw a poster for alexander in the library this afternoon. They appeared to have cgied his features because his eyes and mouth just looked completly out of kilter. smiley - weird

Post 689

The picture in question...

http://alexanderthemovie.warnerbros.com/

smiley - erm

Post 690

it was all wrong....disaster movie. he was right in phonebooth but so wrong in alexander...wrong hair colour...how could he be blond he was greek surely...

Post 691

Nbcdnzr, the dragon was slain, and there was much rejoicing

Well, macedonian actually.

I agree that Grave of the Fireflies is an excellent movie, very, very touching.
I don't agree that the Machinist eaves too much to be explained. There are plenty of movies in wich nothing is explained in the end, like those by David Lynch. As long as you have someone to discuss it with, it is usually allright. You can give your own interpretation to each other.

I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith recently, what a load of c**p that was. Did anyone else notice how completely wrong some of the music was with the scenes? It's like you're watching one thing and listening to another.

Post 692

A Super Furry Animal

>> it was all wrong....disaster movie. he was right in phonebooth but so wrong in alexander...wrong hair colour...how could he be blond he was greek surely...<<

I think there's actually a proven difference between the ethnicity of ancient Greeks compared to modern Greeks...haven't got a link immediately to hand, but modern Greeks don't actually come from Greece originally (as in millennia ago).

I'm sure all the girlie swots around hootoo can tell us more...smiley - biggrin

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 693

i guess i was being picky over the appearance part of alexander...a good movie is not all about aesthetics....

but beyond all that it is a boring film...not often i can't watch all the way thru....when we returned it to blockbuster the guy said they had had terrible feedback on the film...so it seems the public in general have given it a big thumbs down....

i loved troy though...found it riveting all the way thru.

as i said with the machinist the ending and the relevance of certain characters WAS open to individual interpretation...however my daughter would have liked more explanation about the mysterious bald man... my own theory is that....spoiler look away.......................

he was an imaginary conscience figure....

Post 694

seen charlie and thesmiley - choc factory and also the island... both good films but i think the island had the edge...

i loved the story line.. clever and thought provoking....i found it very reminiscent of 'logans run' which was a film i loved from my childhood. i wish there was a book i could read but its written by a script writer for the film caspian something hyphen something...can't remember now..

great acting. lots of action [almost non stop once it starts] and diabolical baddies headed by sean bean...the island didn't do so good in hollywood...but it mostly has good reviews on the imdb and i gave it 10/10

Post 695

A Super Furry Animal

>> great acting <<

How so?

If you notice the "acting", surely that's a sign of bad acting?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 696

equestrian_statue

I too, saw "Alexander" and must say what a magnificent waste of time and money it was. Didn't Stone realise what a bummer he was making, alarm bells must have started ringing when Farrel turned up to audition as a hollywood hooker

Post 697

Nbcdnzr, the dragon was slain, and there was much rejoicing

Is 'The Island' really that good? When they said in the trailers that the director was the same as from Pearl Harbor and Armageddon, I thouhgt I would give it a miss. Is it really a lot better than those two?

Post 698

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

Racing Stripes

Post 699

HonestIago

Saw Deep Impact the other day on TV and I love it, easily my favourite disaster movie, possibly because it had a little thought to it.

Post 700

pattichild

smiley - ermdead againsmiley - erm:
emma thompson, kenneth branagh, campbell scott...cliched!slightly corny...watchable tho...made me jump tho...but i scare easilysmiley - erm
smiley - smileyto catch a thiefsmiley - blush:
grace kelly, cary grant, brigitte auber...light!
smiley - winkeyethe butterfly effectsmiley - cool:
ashton kutcher, amy smart...interesting!
learnt some nu 'rude' words...hehe
smiley - biggrinalfiesmiley - biggrin:
jude law, marissa tomei, susan sarandon, sienna miller...me liked me liked me liked!
good dialogue...cute kid!
saddish ending...mebbe sadder cause iv read julian barnes books...but thats only my theory...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more