A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 721

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Orcus - I saw Dances With Wolves at the cinema, but not since then. It's very much in the 'post-modern western' style, though, unlike Open Range, which might as well be a Budd Boetticher movie, or even Anthony Mann. (And that is high praise indeed.)

RF - I quite like Waterworld, so let's just keep these guilty secrets to ourselves, eh? smiley - winkeye

As to Wyatt earp being dull, well, I like Russian cinema, which sends most people to sleep, so I'll give it a go. Not as if it will be expensive to get hold of second hand. smiley - smiley

smiley - shark

Post 722

psychocandy-moderation team leader

"Monsieur Verdoux" and "Seven Samurai". Been a bit slack lately. smiley - erm

Post 723

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

The Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black both on DVD fantastic The Chronicles of Riddick is ausome

Post 724

Sho - employed again!

Finally saw Billy Elliot.

Oh my, fantastic stuff.

Post 725

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I saw Billy on UKtv finally recently. I agree it is an excellent film . I was mesmerised at the dad's reaction to breaking the strike.

Post 726

Sho - employed again!

it was the background stuff which was totally brilliant. Almost like living through it again.

Post 727

I was only about 4 at the time, so I can't really comment. smiley - blush

Very well done all the same though. smiley - smiley

Post 728

flakey-lady.... you lookin' at me punk?

saw pride and prejudice [ the new one ] enjoyable, quaint, charming, sometimes amusing... liked the grand ball scenes where we [the camera] is travelling thru rooms, looking onto the little scenes.... clever.

i thought it skipped over some parts a little too briefly for my liking but suppose they had to keep it within a certain timescale....
but i saw more than a few of us girlys [yes me too] sobbing and rubbing eyes...smiley - wah

so a few laughs, lovely camera work and sets, plus a few tears... what more do you want for a softer option. oh and quite a shaggable mr darcysmiley - kiss

Post 729

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

Billy Elliot is good now a musical stage play

Post 730

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Went to see George Romero's 'Land of the Dead' yesterday, rather than doing the gardening.

Great film. A worthy continuation of the original trilogy.

smiley - shark

Post 731

just saw land of the dead....we were disappointed.... i think 28 days later the best zombie film in years...

no doubt the gore scenes were very good but felt story line a little weak and we were wondering how come they couldn't run as in the last remake of dawn of the dead.. [the original dawn of the dead being my fav all time zombie flick].... seeing as they were evolving and all that...

still worth seeing but i was expecting to be much more enthusiastic about it.... i'd have to say 7/10 at most....

Post 732

equestrian_statue

Sin City - Why didn't I go to see this in the cinema, instead of watching it on DVD. One of the few films to exite me this year, a true work of art.

Post 733

sin city i am dying to see it...my elder daughter saw it and said i'd love it.. lots of well hunky men for me to drool over.. but we didn't get to see it after all, problems with babysitters etc

so its out on dvd tomorrow, so by next weekend i'll be able to report what i think of it....mmmnn hunky mensmiley - tongueout

Post 734

>we were wondering how come they couldn't run as in the last remake of dawn of the dead<

I'd say that was because the 'exocet' zombies of 28 Days Later, and the remake of Dawn of the Dead simply don't interest Romero. They also run contrary to everything that has ever been written about the phenomenon.

He's not really interested in the horror of zombies, but the metaphor they represent. Land... is a political metaphor, not a horror film.

smiley - shark

Post 735

ahh isee romeo had nothing to do with the remake then which explains why the zombies could run... i much prefer the lurching shambling zombies.. but do you remember in the night of the living dead he had a running zombie in the very 1st scenes in the graveyard....the one that chases the woman??

notice the king type status that hopper has, he in his high keep and the poorer villagers surrounding him, so nothing new there. thought that was a clever twist on an old theme. a political one.

Post 736

seen sin city at last.....fabulous 10/10smiley - ok

i knew mickey rourke was in it but didn't recognise him at all.. had to check the credits at the end...

is he really that well built in real lifesmiley - biggrin

Post 737

S'good isn't it? smiley - biggrin

I rented it last week.

Apparently Sin City 2 is in the works. Check out IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458481/

Post 738

mickey rourke was the big indestructable guy revenging goldie wasn't it??? called marv?? can't get over the stature of himsmiley - tongueout
will check out sin city 2 thanks

Post 739

Baconlefeets

I think the last film I watched was Scrooged. I've had "and the world will be a better place, for me and you, you just wait and see" ever sincesmiley - headhurts

Post 740

equestrian_statue

Just finished watching Shawshank on TV, eyes are still moist, had to go into the kitchen numberous times on pretence of making coffee but really to wipe eyes with kitchen towel. Freeman is so bloody noble.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more