A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Where are our researchers from?

Post 501

Barblefish-philological piscean, Keeper of Teatime Paraphernalia and Advisor to the Royal Court of Balwyniti

Born Sydney, NSW, Australia
Raised Newport Beach, Sydney; Springwood (Blue Mountains).
Periods of residence in Sydney, Armidale, Port Macquarie, Sydney again, Canberra!(not recommended)and now in Michelago in blessed New South Bloody Wales where I belong!

Post 502

Eusebio - squad number 11

Anglesey (Ynys Mon) which is in Wales (Cymru) ... so I'm Welsh as were my parents and my grandparents and, as far as I can trace back, were all my great-great grandparents ... Now what does that say?

Post 503

Gnomon - time to move on

And yet, Anglesey is a Norse word meaning "Isle of the English" smiley - smiley

Post 504

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Yeah, if you're lucky you just may have some norse blood in your veins smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

Post 505

Eusebio - squad number 11

The Welsh name is YNYS MON and as far as I am aware Anglesey comes from Eingle's Eye as in the Norseman Eingle.
Isle of the English is not one which I have come accross before as the English never settled on Ynys Mon. The Romans had enough trouble crossing the Menai Straits!
Similarly Swansea comes from Swan's Eye and nearby Llandudno has the Great Orme named after the Norseman Orme ...

Post 506

typolifi

Born in Paris,
raised in Warsaw,
back in Paris for some time.

Post 507

milo

I'm from Newport in Wales. The welsh name is Casnewydd (sp). Which means "New Port". So I gather.

Post 508

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Blimey, this is a thread I thought was dead!

I posted in Sept.2000, way back in backlog hell, if you wanna know where I'm fromsmiley - winkeye

smiley - flyhiAGBsmiley - thepost
smiley - peacedovesmiley - peacesign

Post 509

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

smiley - nahnah August 22 2000 me smiley - smileysmiley - cheers

Post 510

Polly Math

From London, England; currently living in west Donegal, Ireland, and love both places.

It's nice to see that there are researchers in the US and all sorts of countries. It's one of the best things about online communities.

So is anonimity - it makes prejudice impossible. smiley - magic
But I always find other peoples' locations fascinating.

Post 511

Mycelium

Originally from Abertawe (Swansea), then Pen Y Bont (Bridgend) and now living in Caerdydd (Cardiff). All in south Wales. oh, and I lived for a short while in Martigues, near Marseille in France.

Post 512

Mycelium

.....but I'm typing this in Aberfan, near Merthyr Tydfil.

Post 513

Dr Deckchair Funderlik

Bucharest, Romania.

Post 514

Noggin the Nog

London, originally. Now living in Llanelli (South Wales).

Noggin

Post 515

Mycelium

smiley - musicalnoteSosban fach yn berwi ar y tan....smiley - musicalnote

Post 516

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Now if that isn't a case of the pot calling the sospan fach I don't know what is....

Post 517

Ste

Blimey, look at all these people from South Wales. smiley - cheers Caerdydd is my favourite city in the country. smiley - biggrin

Me? I was born in Stoke-on-Trent, raised in Torquay, Devon, and now reside in San Diego, California Republic (which, incidentally has the best flag ever http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/flags/caflag.gif), (reluctantly at the mo') USA.

Stesmiley - mod

Post 518

Ste

smiley - cross or, http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/flags/caflag.gif

Post 519

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Apparently very few of our researchers are from Cleveland, though. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F29?thread=10&latest=1

Post 520

typolifi

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more