A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How tenuous are your connections to the rich and famous?

Post 101

Cloviscat

I knew a Glumdalclitch

But hey, who are we to laugh at silly names? Just look at Who's online!

Post 102

Hurtenflurst

All classics in their own way, Nexus!

I also know a Ramsbottom, a couple of Higginbothams, and Farley Carter (don't try it if you're pissed!)

Post 103

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

There's a Cardinal Sin in the Phillipines and the President of Zimbabwe used to be (maybe still is) Canaan Banana.

Red

Post 104

You can call me TC

At some point in the 'pregnant with child' thread people threw in a few names like these. http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F19585?thread=73617&post=565780#p565780 I can't find the place now, of course, but names are discussed as from post 35 and bad choices of names with surnames sort of starts at post 54.

Post 105

You can call me TC

Got it - get a load of post 232 onwards

Post 106

Alec Trician. (is keeping perfectly still)

I can still remember those blue eyes looking at me through the windshield of my VW bus...I very nearly ran over Sean Connery at the roundabout in Puerto Banus.
I never did it again.
alec.

Post 107

Lady Beaulieu

As a local representative for the Universal and the Paramount movie studios, I am responsible for the various promotional and press pre-release screenings of their films. Occasionally there are special screenings in which an actor and/or director involved with the film will be present, and sometimes I am responsible for taking them to one of the city's better restaurants beforehand. So I've met a few celebs in this way. But this connection is obviously very tenous.

Does merely meeting a celebrity count in this forum? Or was the original query looking for something more significant?

Post 108

Gnomon - time to move on

What we're looking for here is not "I'm friends with Prince Charles", it is "my cleaning lady once shared a joint with Prince Charles' cleaning lady". Tenuous is the word!

Post 109

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Tenuous indeed. All jobs in the entertainment industries are tenuous.
One need only look at the credit rolls of a few movies from any given year to realise that Film careers are particularly ..tenuous.

(It's a lovely word that, ten-u-ous... It rolls off the tongue from the explosive upper-paletted T, to the exhalant and full bodied E, then the ..OK I'll shut up.)

peace
~jwf~ (wishing to hear more of the Lady's experiences)

Post 110

Future World Dictator (13)

My mate's dad once spent several hours in a bar on Crete (or somewhere) talking football to half the Liverpool European Cup winning team of that year (80 something).

A bloke I met once has met Kieron West (the Olympic rowing gold medallist) once.

When I was young I met David Bellamy (man, is he tall!).

Another mate (who's a Young Tory) gave a speech at their conference and had a long discussion with William Hague.

Post 111

FluffySheep - Keeper of Caffinated Drinks - With Deepest Sympathy

My contributions:

~My mum's friend went out with Ciaran Hinds (who you've probably never heard of) before he was almost famous

~My friend's friend's sister went out with Liam Neeson (of _Star Wars_ and _Schindler's List_ fame)

~My mum's flatmate's boyfriend was Roy Button who was assistant director on Star Wars

~My aunt's newphew (but not my cousin) was the bass player in Oasis

--Fluffy-- smiley - smiley

Post 112

Huw B

My father's second cousin's cousin is related to the actor Michael York (Logan's Run) by marriage.

Post 113

You can call me TC

Liam Neeson - a girl I know went to school with him. Too close?

Post 114

Beth

My godmother's sister in law's great aunt lived in a house in Ireland where the mother of Ulysses S Grant was born. There was a plaque on the wall to prove it.

Is that tenuous enough?

I once shook hands with Hilary Clinton - she said 'hello', I said 'hello' - and we had nothing further to discuss.

Post 115

The Nitpicker

Princess Di once selected ME out of a crowd of abpprox 100 people to shake hands with (probably due to the extremely photogenic child I was looking after at that moment)

My daughter recently introduced John Gribben who was giving a lecture at Sussex Uni

My mother corresponded with J R R Tolkien for many years after meeting him at a dinner for ex-pats in Holland

My father is just too famous himself (within certain circles) for it to be practical to name all the people he knows/knew e.g. Dame Ninette de Valois, Lilian Baylis, Dame Marie Rambert, Dame Margot Fonteyn, Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all

Post 116

Alec Trician. (is keeping perfectly still)

My sons best friend's mum once met Micheal Jordan and was once rude to Al Pacino.
alec.

Post 117

Woodpigeon

I sat on a plane with Ben Elton once,

and, I also sat on a plane with Jeremy Irons (right in front of him)

and, I was stopped at a traffic light when Eamonn Dunphy (Irish Radio presenter - see elsewhere in H2G2) passed by,

My wife had a chat with Bertie Ahern (Irish Prime Minister), and she *nearly* got to speak to Mary McAleese (Irish President)

Saw the Pope when I was 10.

I wonder if I put all this together, would it make 15 minutes?

CR

Post 118

Afrael (keeper of angelic guidance)

- An ex-boyfriend of mine went out with (unwittingly as it happens) a prince of Denmark.

- I shared a fag with Jean Boht once (that woman from 'Bread' - British tv show in the 80s)

Sorry too direct...

- I bought the water Madonna drank in rehearsal about 8 years ago...Actually went to the shop and bought it...very short you know...

- I was in the Box Office at the Albery Theatre whilst Mike McShane was looking through gay classified ads...

- YES! A guy on my sign language interpreter's course toured with Toyah once...

- Oh, and I saw Jilly Cooper the other day on the street *MINUTES* before realising my mobile phone had been nicked.

I think both you and I know what I mean...

*nods knowingly*

Af

Post 119

Xanatic

Which Danish prince, and what do you mean by going out with?

That Tolkien thing is the best I´ve heard so far.

Post 120

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

I once drew all over the face of Lord Ackland's grand-daughter. (Not particularly famous, but Titled and probably rich.) And she drew on mine. There's no class divide when you're four years old...
I think I saw Bill Bryson on a bench in Nuneaton once. He was looking as upset as I'd imagine him to be if he found himself in such a ghastly place (this convinces me it was actually him.)
My dad once passed Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey (of The Who) on some stairs. They're much shorter than they look, apparently. And he stood next to Jake Thackeray at a urinal (can't remember who he is, but ne'er mind.) and, in the course of making a hearty jest, made him pee all down his leg.

Key: Complain about this post