A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Join Here

Post 761

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hi Pete - sorry for the delay smiley - sorry

You'll find the membership badge at A434648

Have fun smiley - cheers

Danny B.


Join Here

Post 762

'Fonly-Idapa

Further to my post to you (Danny B.) and Farlander, some two weeks ago, concerning the music-making experiment, (on which I have been marshalling my thoughts), I would like to tell you that I have just chanced upon something along similar lines in the Ask...h2g2 Community Conversation Forum. It has to do with how to practise your pieces (whatever the instrument) and the scheme has been worked out by Recumbentman!smiley - cheers

It looks very encouraging and interesting and since I'm again on the smiley - run I intend to read it thro' a little later in the day. This is to say that I may not need to continue marshalling thoughts on something superfluoussmiley - ok and can participate in what Recumbentman has to offer. Bye for now.smiley - run


Join Here

Post 763

Farlander

that's cool smiley - cool good luck, mate! and have fun.

smiley - cheers


Join Here

Post 764

Shagrath (Join the Metal Appreciators' Society @ A2556489)

Hi, I'd like to join!

1.What instrument(s) do you play, or want to play? Do you sing?
I play baritone/alto saxophone, piano, and am learning bass guitar. I can't sing very well.

2.Do you have a favorite composer, musical artist, band, or music genre?
Not a big classical music fan, but I like metal: Symphony X, Dimmu Borgir, Tool.

3.Is there anything in particular you would like from the Musicians Guild?
A neat little badge would suffice.


Join Here

Post 765

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

Hi

I was just going through some of my age-old threads, and found the one about Peter and the Wolf that (it turns out) inspired the founding of this Guild in the first place. I feel honoured to have had some (very) small part in this, and would now like to join. OK, questions and answers:

1. I play Piano (Grade 8) and all manner of electronic keyboard thingy. I've been known to sing but it's not recommended that I do so these days. Also (when the band was still going) dabbled with guitar, violin (between two of us. I played the fingerboard while somebody else bowed smiley - erm), indian reed pipe, recorder, tambourine (if that counts) and anything else we could get our hands on (many of which you wouldn't normally think of as instruments).

2. Beethoven, Frank Zappa, no, no (in that order).

3. A badge would be neato!smiley - ok


Join Here

Post 766

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello Shagrath and Rojo Habe! Welcome to the Musicians' Guild. The members' badge is at A434648. Feel free to explore, and enjoy!

smiley - cheers
Farlander.


Join Here

Post 767

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

Maby thanks smiley - biggrin. I will wear it with pride.


Join Here

Post 768

Shagrath (Join the Metal Appreciators' Society @ A2556489)

Shh, don't tell, but I'd already put it on.


Join Here

Post 769

rigidwithfear

I would love to join the Musician's Guild.

I play the drums and am not half bad even if I do say so myself. Been doing it a long time. Played in rock bands, jazz bands, pop bands, a soul band and, most satisfying of all, a ceilidh band.

Favourite composer would have to be Beethoven; amongst many others.

Favourite musical artist: a toss-up between the conductor Roger Norrington and the guitarist John Mclaughlin.

Favourite band: one for the oldies, "Gentle Giant".

Favourite musical genre: classical music.

I would particularly like to have access to material on conductors and historical recordings. I like to think about, learn about and discuss music and musical craft.


Join Here

Post 770

Cat-Eyes: No..... why.... ?

What's a ceilidh band?


Join Here

Post 771

rigidwithfear

A ceilidh is, as far as I know, something that comes from the Celtic world. It is a traditional form of gathering where music is played and people dance.

Purists may well argue that what we did was not a ceilidh but a barndance. I never say barndance, however, because it causes confusion between the European style of barndance that we performed and the American style of barndance. We were always oriented toward the European style (playing English, Scottish, Irish tunes, and, if memory serves, some Polish tunes as well). We were never into the big-hatted hoe-down, square dance, Appalachian, call it what you will American style.

I have pinched a quote from the internet that may explain the difference between barndances and ceilidhs a bit better:

"The difference between a Ceilidh and Barn Dance....
... In England, a 'barn dance' suggests either a community organised event or an English Folk dance with a substantial addition of square dances. You don't see so many square dances at an English Ceilidh but you are likely to have Polkas, Schottisches and Waltzes included instead.

A common description is that Ceilidh tends to involve 'stepping' and folk or barn dances not - although it is seldom said what 'stepping' is. This is more an observation rather than a definition; but in Barn dances, Square dances, Contra's, English Country Dance etc the dancers often walk the dances. In ceilidh, whether it is the traditional form from the North East of England or the more cosmopolitan Southern English Ceilidh, you very seldom do a plain walk."

In summary, we were really a barn dance band playing traditional European tunes. The members of the band came from divergent musical backgrounds; this made for an interesting way of interpreting these old tunes. Being essentially an electric band with a full modern rhythm section the result was kind of rock and jazz meets traditional.

It was fantastic fun.


Join Here

Post 772

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hi rigidwithfear smiley - smiley

Welcome to the Guild - you'll find the badge at A434648.

All I know about ceilidhs is that everyone I know seems to be having one at their wedding, thus putting cheesy pop/rock bands (like, oh, mine, for instance) out of business smiley - cross

smiley - winkeye

Enjoy the Guild...

smiley - cheers

Danny B.


Join Here

Post 773

Cat-Eyes: No..... why.... ?

You're in a band?


Join Here

Post 774

Danny B

I'm in a band of sorts - so far we've only played invite-only gigs (either for our friends and family, or at weddings of friends), but we hope to play some 'real' gigs (ie, with paying customers!) one day... smiley - smiley


Join Here

Post 775

CrispyCritters - No. 186291

1.What instrument(s) do you play, or want to play? Do you sing?

I play Euphonium at about a Grade 8 level, taking a BMus at Uni. Can sing, but a drowning cat sounds far better. More info look at my personal space.

2.Do you have a favorite composer, musical artist, band, or music genre?

Dello Joio, Holst, De Meij, among others.

3.Is there anything in particular you would like from the Musicians Guild?

A nifty, neat-o badge.


I'd like to join!

Post 776

Benjamin Clarkson

Hello! I'd like to join up!

I'm a singer in a band. I write lyrics and also have a hand in the writing of songs.

I'm also involved in an experimental musical project with a friend. As well as singing I can play guitar, piano, synth and I am developing my skills regarding electronic music (i.e. use of laptops etc).

My favourite bands are Radiohead, The Cooper Temple Clause, and The Who.

I'm not looking for anything in particluar from the guilde but it would be nice to talk to other people with similar interests.

Cheers,

Benjamin


I'd like to join!

Post 777

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello to btpclarkson and CrispyCritters smiley - smiley

Welcome to the MuG - you'll find the extremely popular membership badge at A434649.

Have fun smiley - cheers

Danny B.


I'd like to join!

Post 778

Farlander

Danny! That should've been A434648. The '8' *is* pretty close to the *9*, isn't it? smiley - winkeye

Cheers,
Farlander.


I'd like to join!

Post 779

Danny B

smiley - doh
Sorry!


I'd like to join!

Post 780

The Iron Maiden

Hope I ain't lost in the backlog! Yeah I'd like to join.

1. I play bass guitar (four years, incredibly fast gallop, no real clue) and electric guitar (three months, getting there!)
2. I am a Heavy Metal fanatic worshipping the Metal gods Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, mongst a cast of thousands smiley - angel also indulging in some Eric Clapton again, for the purposes of learning guitar
3. I hope to get into some good quality discussion about the musical side of things, as a bit of a break to Metal band worship

Cheers.


Key: Complain about this post