A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2001

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2002

Hypatia

<>

Reading children's books before they go on the shelves is one of the most important parts of my job. I consider it my responsibility - nay, my sacred duty - to read HP before all those copies are put out for the public Saturday morning. smiley - angel

I did agree with my wholesaler not to shelve the books before Saturday. And I obviously won't divulge anything in the book. We have to get them cataloged, labeled, etc., so needed delivery before Saturday. But it is a children's book, and library policy is that one of the staff reviews them in advance of processing. It was my turn.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2003

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The injunction is not to prevent people reading it but to prevent people who have read it from giving the plot away. The reason why some 'mistakely sold' copies are being recalled in exchange for HP goodies is most likely because your average 11-year-old can't be trusted not to blab about it.

I forgot to pre-order a copy so I'll have to wait until the furore has died down a bit before buying a copy (although, if necessary I will step over my own grandmother to get it if there's only one copy left when I go to the shop).


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2004

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Come on Hyp, you know you want to tell us all about it!

Mr. D, I hope that isn't necessary!


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2005

Agapanthus

I really do wonder why I came home. I went up to the shopping centre for lunch and it was AIR-CONDITIONED. I had a book with me and everything. I could've sat there and read for hours. But I thought about the writing I meant to do and the way all the small children were yelling and shrieking and getting fractious with their parents, and came home again. I am being par-boiled in my own living-room. British homes simply not designed to cope with anything much above 20 C.

On the other hand the wild buddleia growing along the top of the wall (nutty plant - why on top of a wall? There is so little root-space one of the buddleias is losing its grip and beginning to topple into the yard in very slow motion) between my paved strip and the neighbour's garden smells delicious. As does my neighbour's jasmine.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2006

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

smiley - boing the Registrar just called me to say she had all our paperwork and was preparing our ceremony smiley - boing

Suddenly am very, very excited!


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2007

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

You should all be looking for a new conversation somewhere around Sunday afternoon. I have to bend my mind to the upcoming commission meeting now. Aformentioned commissioner just left a phone message with two more agenda updates.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2008

Hypatia

It is exciting, Kelli. smiley - bubbly

Ag, my week without AC has given me a greater appreciation for your discomfort due to the heat. *hands over a glass of iced tea and a bowl of ice cream* I was surprised that none of the UK salonistas I met have AC at home. And your houses/flats aren't designed for good air flow. All those interior doors and narrow hallways. A good design for fire safety, but not for heating and cooling.




7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2009

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The thing with home design in the UK is that it's perfect for our usual temperate climate. Unfortunately an unusually cold winter or an unusually hot summer (both of which are becoming more and more frequent) completely bugger up any cosiness factor.

The airflow in the Dreadful flat is, well, dreadful. We've only got windows on one side (the other side overlooks somebody's garden) and the sky lights are far too high to reach safely.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2010

marvthegrate LtG KEA

[MTG]


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2011

FG

My apartment is so cool I was downright disappointed when my landlord put in AC last summer. I never, ever use it. When he turns it on to cool down his side of the house I nearly freeze to death. I've taken to closing all the vents on my side.

I woke up this morning to find I had drooled all over my face, my hair and my pillow while asleep. Lovely. smiley - tongueout


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2012

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Once again, the conspiracy strikes! smiley - smiley


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2013

SE

i hope you were dreaming of something tasty FG - in the culinary sense, that is.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2014

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

At least your pillow was still there.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2015

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Marv, it's been pretty nice in the mornings, hotter during the latter part of the day, cool at night. I'd suggest shorts and shirts and bring a pair of jeans and a light windbreaker or a sweatshirt for evenings.

In n Out for lunch on Friday is fine by me. Oh, and I'm going to impose on you and have you help me at IKEA on Friday. I have to get a new dresser for D, and those boxes can be heavy. Unless, of course, C comes and helps me today.

So, the agenda so far is In n Out for lunch, then the Harp at 5, dinner at Marrakesh at 8 (the res is for 7 people...I added) and then we've got Taco Surf on Saturday with Courtesy's brother... Ooooh, and let's not forget that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory opens. And Saturday night I may be a bum and go home to read my advance purchase copy of HP. And if you're very nice, I'll loan it to you.

D's room countdown: 2 bags charity, 7 bags trash, most of my tupperware, and Hypatia, got a suggestion on where to donate a whole lot of kid's books (mostly paperback, early reader stuff)?


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2016

Bagpuss

Hypatia - I find our house designs fine for the winter. All you do is have a nice fire (coal or gas) in the lounge and stay in there. Much more energy efficient than a more open-plan home.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2017

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I may have narrow hallways but I've got a lot of 'em smiley - smiley. No airflow though smiley - sadface - most of the windows have been sealed up to keep the smiley - thiefsmiley - thief out. Fortunately the cooler, fresher weather has arrived - it's trying to rain and I think it will be much easier to sleep tonight.

Today I went to Ripon, the oldest city in England apparently. Cute market, cute cathedral. Excellent lunch. I've run out of watercolour paper smiley - yikes.

I did my two minutes silence sitting on a bus in the middle of Harrogate.

Those of us who live in Leeds are still a bit stunned at the news that the London bombers were from this area. Apparently their explosives expert - a PhD chemistry student at the uni - is still at large, whereabouts unknown. Parts of the city are still closed off while the police carry out controlled explosions.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2018

Bagpuss

Yes, it's kind of disturbing to see police swarming around my old neighbourhood. Some friends of mine still live in Burley and they told me the cordon began round the corner at Luciano's, our favourite pizza shop.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2019

Courtesy38

MR - you will not go home on Saturday, you must drive two drunk people around to bars smiley - smiley

Marv - last night I bought a Queen size areo bed and sheets and pillows, so you will not be subjected to a sofa.

Courtesy


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2020

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Some good news from the B clan! My sister who has been engaged for approximately two billion years, has set a date for her wedding! Apparently my function is to be the least embarrassing member of her family. How did this happen? Since when is a singing librarian owl the least embarrassing person anyone could know? I'm very confused... Anyway, next summer in my home town's lovely old Norman church. smiley - biggrin

The war between librarians intensified at work today. I'm keeping out of it. A word of advice to all - never *ever* get on the wrong side of even one librarian. And definitely don't enrage a whole shelf of us. It's really not a pleasant sight...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more