A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Welcome to the Atelier! If you haven't been here before, and you haven't been to our home page, please go straight to A304354 without passing GO, and have a little read. There are directions to the foyer where you will receive a formal welcome to the salon.

Welcome to new member Bagpuss! True to his status as a member of the Procrastinator's Society, he has been intending to join us for several years.

*Hawaiian pedal steel music suffuses the room, and Chloe, clad in a grass skirt, circles the room handing out leis to everyone* As you'll see below, our scribe for this session did a surpassing, thorough and downright surrealistic job of keeping up with events in the salon, a set of notes that I know everyone will enjoy reading. *Chloe steps forward holding a pen set the base of which is a pineapple carved from lucite. The quill pen set therein has a green plume arranged to resemble a palm frond. In Chloe's other hand she holds a rubber toy volcano and a rubber toy surfboard for Gummo and Zeppo smiley - dog* As our scribe has already left for the 50th state of the US, I will hold these awards for the team. Meanwhile, please enjoy the poin and devilled ham canapés.

d'E paid very close attention to our comings and goings and I'm proud to say that we are able to award the B4-I-Wake Last-to-the-Forum Cattle Prod to ... eatsmice! At post 1019! *Chloe proffers a ceremonial cattle prod with hilt of desert camo to eatsmice* Well done, eats, and we're glad you and PWM are no longer in Sandy Places.

As we all know, ltp has long made post #42 his own, and lands there whenever he can, but he didn't make it in 7BX. Z did. Logicus can, however, find consolation in having posted to 1142. *Chloe hands Z a small silver charm, the sort for bracelets and necklaces, made into the shape of block numerals, 42* This charm has no special properties whatever, unless you want to head down to CLI and get Affi or Garius to work on it.

Birthday's celebrated in this thread were
Phil
Professor Chris Tonks (in absentia)
Agapanthus, who got lots of neat knitting stuff
smiley - tea

THE SCRIBE'S NOTES

Egon returns, still without a job. Agapanthus decries the loneliness of knitting while Hypatia establishes that KerrAvon is a woman, at which point the Salonistas take sides on Civil Wars and continue debating education.

In flashbacks, several Salonistas have school troubles. Salvador Dali Llama is relocated to the ranch, and the conversation turns to what level of grief is appropriate for a departed pet and what constitutes a valid day off from work. Marv admits to liking his job, but then Mol returns still without a job (but having kept very busy during the election). Kat applies to college and has jet lag. Freddie does a personal dos-y-dos for Lil.

Phil spots a Coelacanth. Children cuss at Amy. The debate over grief heats up, and Affi devises plans for a cooling system (for the air, not the conversation). Witty has kittens. Lentilla confesses to obeying parking regulations while playing Vice City.

Z grows up into a fine adult doctor. smiley - bubbly

Friday the 13th comes and lets dogs out of the yard, cracks a floor, makes computers misbehave. Scandrea & Tracer graduate. A party breaks out in the Exhibition Area, while MR studies, studies, studies (and cleans). The Forum, founded by Z (maybe), threatens to implode (maybe). Hoods promote thugism. Courtesy reveals stunning Star Wars knowledge. Everyone weighs the benefits and drawbacks of barbecue sauce and gas grills. d'E is stunned to learn that Titania has listened to advice he gave on filing, particularly because it is advice he does not follow himself. smiley - winkeye

Gardens grow, and harvest begins in more temperate climates. Affi plans a classless summer as Agapanthus readies for a visit from her dad and MR steadies for a visit from her mom.

Affi and Lil's plans for a new bot take a frightening turn, and the conversation turns to soothing music. MR's mom gives her a trip to Italy, while David finds an interesting bookmark, Marv and Gw7en fly to Utah, and Hypatia flies to the UK. MR becomes a baby doctor (ABD - either means she hasn't got her alphabet down yet or "all but dissertation").

The discussion touches on parental visitation, the musical "Stomp", and the Eurovision Song contest, and suddenly the site goes pre-mod. When the site returns, Ben has a permanent job. PWM sets sail again. Hypatia continues her travelogue with an assessment of castle toilets, causing Eatsmice to return from foreign parts with reports on French, Arab, and Aussie potties.

The Memorial Day weekend approaches, as does Gay Pride and a discussion of whether that event is harmful or beneficial. Everyone lets down their hair (or at least reveals how much they have). The mini- meet gathers in excessive heat, and Rosemary plans on being a vicar's wife. We reveal what we are reading, Hypatia is punted up north, and Scandrea says goodbye until she gets her high-speed connection back.

We move on to revealing who wears glasses and who moshes. Titania apologizes for "Crazy Frog", and goes in search of Ripley. We talk about bookcases, and Egon returns, this time with a job. Marv is rewarded for work well done (and responds by taking more work. Dang those motivational incentives!).

We learn about Minsters, MR's friend reveals a little too much about campus housing, and Hypatia brings us up to speed on public bathroom towels. Lil goes to Santa Fe. Marv receives advice on how to help a friend through grief.

David's library shows a surprising propensity for biohazards and ducks. Agapanthus, David and Mol fill out more application forms, and many Salonistas relate bird histories. Solnushka competes with David by having her building rain indoors over computers. Hypatia heads back to Missouri with aching feet. People admit to posting at odd hours (and resorting to propping themselves up with pillows while doing so). Tartaronne's family friends encounter tragedy. Hypatia makes it back home to a watered garden and cuddly pets.

Witty Moniker goes for a job interview, then returns with a job, working barefoot. Egon and Caer attend weddings. Castor, Santragenius' smiley - dog, is diagnosed with cancer. Two mini-tornados touch down in Ouious eo's neighborhood. Hypatia dispels the Myth of Cadbury, and FG gets a job interview. A friend of Teuchter's loses a son in the military. MR's daughter gains a half pound and loses two inches in height. Kelli contemplates cycling 18 miles to work, while others contemplate dental anesthesia.

Kat's (too small) and Marv's (too large) hand size interferes with the playing of musical instruments, leading to a comparison of hand sizes. smiley - applause Kelli's dress fits, and MR catches a plagiarist, while the human race spits something up in Mr. Dreadful's direction. d'E leaves for Hawaii.

Quizzes: Star Wars, Star Wars (GDZ version), 42 games, Rebel or Yankee

smiley - tea
And here we are, gathered once again in the foyer, ready to resume the longest civilized conversation anywhere on h2g2. The place has been cleaned: please make yourselves at home!


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2

marvthegrate LtG KEA



Well I am here at work to do my lab stuff. I am a sucker for punishment.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3

logicus tracticus philosophicus

[ltp]


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 4

STRANGELYSTRANGE

(just lurking)


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 5

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*Matina takes an Irish coffee in a FTTF mug to Marv in the lab*


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 6

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I got this call from Marv saying that a new thread was started, right after my last post in the last one. Talk about conspiracy!


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 7

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Matina, could you take the irish out the the coffee for me? I am a bit tender in the head after being introduced to Chapel Hill's Franklin Street last night.


I believe that this is one of the longer periods between Lil starting the new convo and someone getting the FTTF mug.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 8

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Conspiracy? I think it was indeed about 20 minutes. If anything, I was sorry to have to start a new thread on the weekend when there are fewer people around, but as my life continues to shape-shift, I just have less and less time.

We now need a scribe.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 9

logicus tracticus philosophicus

smiley - evilgrinwell marv was first here smiley - run


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 10

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Were work not so incredibly evily busy for the next few weeks I would gladly take that honour. Half of my team is going to be in Vegas starting next weekend for the Networkers conference.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 11

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*waves to STRANGE before heading out to run errands*


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 12

Hypatia

The plants have arrived. Hardly a truck load. About a dozen 10" hanging baskets. Geraniums and wave petunias. Very pretty. I shall keep the geraniums for the library and take the petunias to the city for some planters on main street near a memorial bench. smiley - smiley

It has rained all morning. That might put a damper on our attendance this afternoon for our demonstrations. smiley - sigh


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 13

Teuchter

[Teuchter]

Made it onto the first page for the first time in ages.

*goes off to read the end of previous thread and the beginning of this one.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 14

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Well at least I made it on to the first led smiley - smiley

Been doing lots of cycling and swimming today - am knackered smiley - yawn

Food, then early night, with possible snuggles I think smiley - smiley Were my saturday nights *ever* rock'n'roll I wonder? I can't quite remember.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 15

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Had I been in the vicinity, I'd have attended the basket-weaving demos, Hyp. For all the wonderful things we have to see up here we seem to be very short of homely things to do. I can easily see a Spalletti retrospective or an exhibition of Japanese armour or go to see a zillion Hockneys but no basket weaving smiley - erm.

To finish from the last thread. Jellybean is a colour not disimilar to the unnatural blue jelly beans. As oposed to the unnatural pinks, oranges or yellows, that is smiley - silly. A 0.4 post is generally the equivalent of two working days per week and I'm hoping it does mean exactly two days and not the hours of two days spread over five bits of days because the school is a long way away.

Good scribing, that d'Elaphant smiley - oksmiley - surfer.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 16

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

It was actually my own fault, I'm the one who scheduled yardwork for saturdays. Still, I wasn't expecting a thread start on a weekend. smiley - smiley


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 17

Bald Bloke

[BB]


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 18

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

After last night, I remember why it is that I so frequently say "sorry, can't get a sitter".

I can't stay up that late and drink that much anymore. I'm throughly useless, and I still have to finish grading!


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 19

marvthegrate LtG KEA

MR, I am not in much better shape after my excursion to Franklin St last night. I am still a bit under par in the mental processes.


7CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 20

Bagpuss

Amy, they might expect you to take the same couple of classes of kids all week. Other than that it sounded pretty good.

'Scuse me I'm just wowed out after watching Doctor Who. smiley - yikessmiley - somersaultsmiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more