A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 81

Gnomon - time to move on

Your dog has a ruff?


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 82

Santragenius V

Back from the US - to lovely sunshine and promises that it'll keep over the weekend smiley - somersault

KLM managed to anny me a bit again with their refusal to try and put me on an earlier flight - I had an hour between arrival and the next flight to CPH. But "for safety reasons" they would not transfer my luggage to this connection so I had to wait extra two hours. *sigh* Can anyone decipher what the safety issue might be in me travelling on the 7:50 flight with my luggage instead of flying on the 10:00 flight with my luggage smiley - huh Had they just said "sorry, not time enough to transfer your luggage" it'd been understandable.

United did the same task with bravour in O'Hare (I'd say also a busy airport and also one with "some security" smiley - winkeye) on Wed morning - so it can be done...

And the smiley - dog was happy to see me smiley - biggrin Now I just need to get Mrs SG V home from Spain smiley - cdouble


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 83

Santragenius V

Oh, and obviously managed to miss Hati being in the vicinity smiley - sadface


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 84

Gnomon - time to move on

San, if your luggage had already been sent to the later flight, then:

1. it was too much trouble to retrieve the luggage and put it on your flight;

2. for safety reasons they couldn't allow you to fly on a different flight from your luggage because you might be carrying a bomb in your luggage. They assume that you won't explode the bomb if you yourself are on board.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 85

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

[d'E]
[smiley - dog]


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 86

Santragenius V

It hadn't yet - I'd just stepped out of the plane. And what they refused to do was do the transfer *at all* for safety reasons, even if my luggage followed me. Which I'd of course prefer smiley - winkeye


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 87

Gnomon - time to move on

Oh the convenience of it all! I remember coming back from Corfu at 5 in the morning.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, due to strong winds and some wonderful flying by your captain, we've managed to get into Dublin airport a whole hour earlier than scheduled! smiley - biggrin Unfortunately, since nobody told the people on the ground, the guys to unload your luggage won't arrive into work for another hour, so you'll just have to wait."

(Slightly paraphrased)


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 88

Hypatia

Gnomon, LMN, it's great to have you both back in the salon. smiley - smiley

I am apparently the odd man out here. I don't have any particular favorite watering holes. The closest thing to a regular place to go was before I met F. My then beau and I went to the old Arrowhead Lodge a lot on weekends at the Lake of the Ozarks. There was a restaurant and gift shop upstairs for the tourists and the bar downstairs for the locals. During good weather, we spent most weekends on his boat, which was moored nearby.

Looking back over my marriage, very few of our recreational activities involved alcohol. Neither one of us ever cared if we went to bars or not. Wine with our dinner was about it unless we had company. In spite of joking about Uncle Harvey's moonshine, I am not a drinker.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 89

Santragenius V

smiley - laugh Yeah, you get some experiences when you fly...

Best bar? One of them at least must be "Annexet" (The Annex) at "Bakken", the amusement park where I worked while I studied. Always a friendly face, lots of fun and a rather complicated set of behaviour rules for the regulars; all aimed of course at getting someone to pay for smiley - ale.

Oh, and the bar in Paris where we spent a July 14th drinking pastis - the later it got, the more Ricard came in the glasses. The last one I had barely had room for an icecube smiley - drunk But it was fun (until the next morning.....)


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 90

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The Dreadful's favoured pub is the Check Inn... unfortunately it's too far away to walk so it's not visted very regularly.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 91

Beatrice

The Dufferin Arms in Killyleagh. Was walking distance from our last house - knew all the bar staff by first name (and vice versa), great pint of Guinness smiley - stout, would know I wanted Bombay Sapphire when I ordered a GnT smiley - stiffdrink, even stocked up on ginger beers when Dai developed a taste for Moscow Mules. Oh, and a wonderful restaurant in the old bottling cellar in the basement. Oh and a live music session (Irish-y) on a Saturday afternoon, which segued into Etta on the old joanna in the corner, followed by some live cover band or other. Oh and gravy dinners on the Sunday.


Mmmmmm


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 92

SE

[ ]


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 93

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Winstons bar in Baku just as the oil was beginning to flow. Wonderful sleezie cellar bar with a chip fat ambience where you could get an all day breakfast at the time when tins of Heinz beans where convertible currency. Then Ken, the proprietor, moved to O'Malleys, on the corner of Fountain Square, where in summer we could sit outside watching the police beat up the street traders they had rounded up who couldn't afford a bribe.

Happy times.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 94

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 95

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Oh, my favorite pub is the Anthill Pub, the once and future pub that I am a bartender for. Casual, laid back, loads of regulars, and no swill. If the advertising budget is more than the ingredients budget, we don't serve it. Lots of microbrews and good stuff. (Perspective? the most mass-produced beers we serve are Guinness and Newcastle)

Man, I can't wait for it to open again. I wrote most of my research papers there, and until it opens, I'm so not going to be able to get my dissertation done.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 96

Lady Chattingly

Pubs are rather scarce here in KS. The nearest one is at Weston, MO.--O'Malley's Irish Pub. We haven't made it up there yet.

Best smiley - stiffdrink I've ever had--a Long Island Ice Tea at the Clarion Hotel in St. Louis, MO.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 97

Gnomon - time to move on

I remember going with a gang of kayakers into a tiny pub in County Carlow. I'd say that nobody had ordered anything there except Guinness or whiskey for years. We ordered unusual foreign concoctions like gin and tonics. The publican hunted around and dug out a bottle of gin. Then we asked for ice in it. He had to go out the back, cross the yard and get some ice out of the fridge in his kitchen.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 98

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Hypatia, no shame in not being a drinker when socializing. It was said of Billy the Kid (by Frank Coe) that he never drank a drop (too paranoid, no doubt), but would go to the bar with anybody.

I used to drink much more than I do, which isn't saying much; I would get a little tipsy in the course of an evening, maybe. I have had three major drunks in my life, and I remember each of them because of how bad I felt the next day.

But I'm still choosy. I won't share a glass of wine with the woman for whom I'm caregiving because she drinks the white stuff out of cartons. One sip of that and I feel it gnawing vigorously at the lining of my stomach.


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 99

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

I've done my share of tying one on, but have discovered that I'd much rather drink a glass of really GOOD wine than a bunch of cheap stuff.

Why oh why do younger writers try so very hard to sound academic by using the thesaurus feature in their word processing software? All it does is obscure what they are trying to say!


8CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 100

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

For the reason that, MR, they consider the practice of using lengthened and incomprehensible prose makes them seem knowledgeable.

(The above post was brought to you by Mr. Dreadful and MSWord's Thesaurus feature smiley - tongueout)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more