A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1461

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC


I just got back from seeing RotK too, and I agree with Marv's review: "Wow". That spider was great, and I did feel the weepy bit did go on a little too long.

I don't have issues with the changes made to the story. Film is so different than a novel that the changes are necessary - you have to view it as a completely different work of art that shares the same tale as a foundation. Tolkien wrote the tale, but he wrote a book. He had nothing to do with the film. Films that try to stay too true to the book usually end up very week, like the first Harry Potter movie.

Hi Styx, you handsome rat.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1462

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Styx, old friend, where have you been??! It's good to see you again.

I have been called up for jury duty on 5 January. That wil be interesting! I've never done it before.

Witty, you can send those notes to me anytime.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1463

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC


Whoops, I forgot to say I liked the entry, MR. Here's the link A850330 (it got stuck to your ellipsis before).


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1464

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I take it that Pop Idol is the same tripe as American Idol? If so then I am glad I am not watching television in the UK. "Reality TV" is the lamest and worst example of pandering to the lowest common denominator of any show on televsion. I cannot stand any of the reality shows outside of the Discovery Channel's monday night lineup. But I don't think of Monster Garage and American Choppers as the same type of programming as Survivor of this Idol nonsense.

Well I do have to work tonight, but I do not go in for about another hour or so. It has been warm, so we have another late start.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1465

GreyDesk

I really need to get my car arial fixed.

This morning I woke up late, I dived into the car and started bombing up the motorway towards Derby for a football match. I get there in what I think is just in time, to be greeted by an empty stadium. The match was postponed at lunchtime due to a waterlogged pitch. Now if the aforementioned arial worked I would have known this within about 50 miles of home. Instead I drove the full 200 there, and then the 200 back again smiley - cross

On the bright-side I suppose we didn't lose...


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1466

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC


I've been called for jury duty twice, both times involved sitting on uncomfortable plastic chairs in a large, poorly ventilated, depressing room (think bus terminal) for hours on end, waiting for my turn to come up. When my turn came up, I was rejected during the Voir Dire both times, so I never actually served.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1467

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I actually would like to serve on a jury some time to see the process from teh inside. I have never been summoned however.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1468

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Then I need to bring a novel and a cushion.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1469

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

A *long* novel, Lil. It takes forever. Do you knit? Knitting is good. I once crocheted three scarves while waiting to get told to go home.

Thanks, d'E, for making the link work. 'Preciate it.

Courtesy, you're just evil. But that's why I like you.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1470

Courtesy38

Marv - I agree that it is probably the most visually stunning work I've ever seen. There was no time during the movie where I thought "wow great special effects", even in scenes that I knew had major special effects in them.

d'E - Usually I have no problem seperating the movie from the book, I understand that 1 page of a book equates to about 1 minute of screen time and that just won't do.

My issues with Mr. Jackson are that he went on and on about how he stuck completely to the book and how true to the book the movie was. IMO when someone makes a statement like that, then they should limit their artistic license to trimming the storyline, not adding complete aspects that did not happen in the book.

But as I said, it's a great movie and I will definitely see it again. While I have issues with Mr. Jackson's license, I still enjoyed the movie greatly.

Courtesy


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1471

Mrs Zen

Well, I sent the stepson out with a couple of tenners to buy some movie tickets and he came back with ones for Freaky Friday. In fairness, RoTK is sold out, and we don't really mind what movie we see.

He loved Casablanca though. Now I have to get hold of a copy of Hot Shots Part Deux! Actually I am going to get hold of a copy of The Third Man. Even better than Casablanca... I am enjoying backfilling the boy's cultural education.

'Tis time to sleep, I think. I only got about 4 hours last night, and today has been a long day.

Good night, my dears.

B


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1472

Mrs Zen

PS - We are trying to get the Stepson and his sister to talk to each other, but they are on opposite sides of the planet, and they are both on holiday and sleeping all day.

So the kids are asleep while their local adults are awake, and awake when the overseas adults are asleep, but since they are both getting about 12 hours, neither is actually awake when the other one is, so I doubt that they will get to talk to each other this side of New Year.

I can do diagrams for that if you like!

B


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1473

Afgncaap5


I think that it's finally time to start watching holiday films again.

A Christmas Carol is a must, just gotta decide which version (at the moment I'm thinking either the Mr. Magoo version or the Patrick Stewart version). Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown is always fun, partly because of my love of Schultz, partly because of my love of jazz, and partly because of the fact that it still dares to stand up against Christmas over-consumerism.

Similarly, I'll definitely view the animated version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas while avoiding the live action one like the plague.

And I'll try to dig up an old Christmas chestnut that wasn't quite as popular as the others. I'm thinking, possibly, Bob Hope's "The Lemon Drop Kid." Oh, and who can forget "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians"?


*There's the puppet! Sitting on the mantel again. Where did that chainsaw come from, though?*


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1474

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

My absolute favorite is the Rankin and Bass one with Mother Nature and her two sons. Love that one.


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1475

Hypatia

You forgot A Christmas Story. I love that one. smiley - biggrin

I've had a sore throat and headache all day and now my nose is starting to drip. Rats! (no offense Styx)


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1476

Z

Jury duty sounds biazzre in the US, I would love to be on a jury, but I'm exempt now. We are from our third year smiley - wah which is a shame it's not really judgement by ones peers if not all peers are allowed to serve on the Jury.

Ben a couple of teners to buy movie ticketssmiley - yikes, I know where you live is posh but how much do they charge to go to the pics there? Down here it's £5 for a working person and £3.50 for a student, at all the big chain places..

Hypathia, I may well try that fudge recipe..


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1477

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Ugh! Who put the chainsaw on the mantel?

*Lil goes over and takes up the chainsaw, and nearly drops it when it roars to life in her hands! A few seconds later it stops, which is fortunate, because Lil had no control over its vector toward Mindspring, dozing on the hearthrug*


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1478

egon

Bloody hell.

I go away for two days and there's a backlog of 130-odd posts!

Brief resposnses:

Ben- "In fact, thinking about it, I am something of a domestic slut, because everyone (my beloved included) who has lived with me for any length of time tends to have higher standards of hygeine and be cleaner and tidier around the house than me."

I have a simple solution to that predicament- move into my spare room smiley - winkeye. My flat looks slightly less tidy than the average warzone.


Pop Idol- Hardly ever watched it. I fell strangely in love with fame Academy this summer, and voted for Alex every week- and I'm not gay smiley - winkeye

Christmas films: Nothing can beat "It's A wonderful life" for a christmas film. The thing's the second best film ever of any descriptioon in my opinion. Also, when I was in Boston for christmas last year, i saw for the first time the rudolf animated film thing with the little figures- it may have ben CBS or NBC, I'm not sure- lovely little film.

Um, I think that's it.

Oh, one more thing- Desky: You're a dozy git. smiley - winkeye

Right, I won't be on much for a while- on holiday in Scotland from Monday til Monday, then Cornwall for new year.

Lil- did you get my email?

Oh, one other thing:

TV Licences- yes, it is true that if a TV has no aerial and is not tuned in then you can use it to watch videos or DVDs, no problem. I have a part-time job as a solicitor's clerk, and my boss has a combined TV/video in his office, for watching the police videos which they are planning to submit to the Crown Prosecution Service for use in evidence, and he doesn't need a licence for it as that is the only purpose for which the TV/video is used.

Also, going back to our music discussion of several LEDs back, I'm of to see Meat Loaf at Manchester Arena on Sunday night smiley - biggrin


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1479

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Having read LotR many, many, many times I know most of what Mr. Jackson changed in the movies. I am completely alright with those changes.

I saw It's a Wonderful Life for the 1st time ever just a couple of weeks ago, it was a great flick.

Looks like I will have my kids over for at least one more night (Monday night). Hadn't planned on it but, it is always a great joy to have them over.

*Picks up the chainsaw, drains the fuel into an empty container and then takes the chainsaw outside.*


63Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1480

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

As we approach the "season of goodwill" may I ask for a cessation of hostilities toward me on this thread. Many "walls" divide society and indeed some folks are put behind them to protect themselves and others.

Some are excluded by others because they just don't socially "fit". Many of you think I don't fit here. On concensus I probably don't. But does that mean I should be ostracised? Some of us just like the company this thread, indeed we would be bereft if we would loose the contact.

I will not be the only one who feels this. Please be aware of folks who are not like you yet want to feel included. Just being able to post without a response is enough to feel "in touch". Just thibk of those on the "outside" of this circle.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more