A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

in a voluntary capacity..

Post 261

Coniraya

Hi Chris and all the best for tomorrow.

No2 son was caught up in last year's fiasco, thank the godness he had decided not to go to uni.

The people I know who have gone to Southampton have really enjoyed, one stayed on to do his Masters and PhD in Computer Sciences.


, shouting "I need someplace to plug in my barbeque fork!"

Post 262

Z

We've had a warning from our isp about the virus, I'll remind A to deal with it when I get home. Good luck with the A Level results Chris I'm sure that they'll be sorted out this year, people are actually taking an interest in what exam boards do which is new. I'm convinced that only an 18 year old would be arrogant to think that they could deal with what goes on in medicine, and by the time you have to deal with it medical school changes you emtionally when dealing with things like this.


as a therapist specializing in ...

Post 263

Witty Moniker

I'd like to see that virus try to shut down my desktop. I haven't been able to shutdown/restart my machine without doing a hard reset in several months. I hate watching scandisk. I guess it's time to upgrade from ME to XP. Mr. Moniker is planning on taking some vacation time to address the issue.


...infinity capacity theories

Post 264

Coniraya

WM, I'm still using ME too. Everyone else in the house is using XP and says it is loads better.

But the whole thing needs reformatting and with dual boot up and the current problems, I'm kind of hoping that No2 son will build me a new machine once he has finished the one for his g/f's dad.


and Freudian wormhole complexes. The barbeque fork ...

Post 265

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Skip XP and go straight to Linux or FreeBSD. I am now officially on an anti-microsoft crusade. This was the last straw. I'm not just a Mac enthusiast now, no, it's gone far beyond that.

If only there were good games for Linux.
smiley - dog


began to glow and gently vibrate

Post 266

Hypatia

What worries me about the virus is that I don't know how to install the patches. At work I have someone to do that. And we're really well protected there and probably won't get it anyway. But at home I just have Norton on my desktop. I do keep it updated. Will hope for the best.

*waves to Chris...good luck smiley - hug*


began to glow and gently vibrate

Post 267

Phil

Part of the problem with the MSBLAST worm is that it can try and launch a denial of service attack (or similar) on the windows update website where you go to get the patches.

Hypatia, if you're running XP then it comes with the windows update tool which goes and checks what patches you've got and what you need and does it all automatically for you - asking which patches you want to download and then again before it installs them. Or you go to the windows update website and let it do the work for you from there. If you're running another version of the windows OS I don't know what you'd do.

smiley - ok d'E smiley - smiley


began to glow and gently vibrate

Post 268

Phil

And d'E it depends on what you class as good games. You can get some comercial games for Linux but I don't know what (I'm not a gamer).


began to glow and gently vibrate

Post 269

SE

I've a macintosh
Windows worms? I'm immune to
not that i gloat... much


, producing a lovely A#, since it was also a tuning fork.

Post 270

Witty Moniker

Nice haiku, Sporky.

Are any of you familiar with the latest fad, flashmobbing?

http://www.wordspy.com/words/flashmob.asp


Thunder crashed and rolled around overhead

Post 271

Coniraya

It has arrived in the UK:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3134559.stm


Thunder crashed and rolled around overhead

Post 272

Chris Tonks

Thanks for the best wishes. smiley - smiley We'll see what happens...

The irony of there not being any decent games on Linux is that all the good games are developed on that very OS. The companies just never release them on the platform afterwards. Though, actually, Unreal Tournament 2003 has a Linux version on the third CD. smiley - smiley

The MSBlast worm is scheduled to attack the Windoze Update site on the 15th of this month, yes. It should have spread enough by then to become a right nuisance.

Although everyone should keep their copy of Windoze fully patched up, the one patch you need to protect yourself from being infected by MSBlast is the one on this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp
(If you don't know whether you want the 32-bit or 64-bit patch, you'll want the former. smiley - winkeye)


Thunder crashed and rolled around overhead

Post 273

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Chris, I must disagree regarding RPC. It is a *stupid* thing to leave turned on in general. All it really does is allow other devices to send commands to your machine. It is the cause of many exploits in the past, and will be the cause of more as time moves on. M$ have for too long allowed insecure products to make it to market, and it is getting out of hand. I am very near to killing my windows installation and making it a *nix box. This virus is very nearly the last straw.


Thunder crashed and rolled around overhead

Post 274

Chris Tonks

Well, I don't really know anything about this RPC service anyway, so you may be right. smiley - winkeye I only suggested not disabling it based on my own observations. The people in the thread I linked to that did disable it had more trouble afterwards than those who merely told it to not restart the computer on termination (which is where the 60 second countdown message comes from).


the tuning fork started playing the refrain from "Eleanor Rigby". Tim, the bookmaker's runner, brought out his kazoo and

Post 275

FG

[fg, in another smoky day]


started to play a counterpoint of 'Innagoddadiveda'

Post 276

Courtesy38

[{Courtesy}]


started to play a counterpoint of 'Innagoddadiveda'

Post 277

a girl called Ben

[Ben]


Yoko Ono appeared out of nowhere and began a tambourine solo.

Post 278

SE

[spk]


And everyone else vanished..

Post 279

Bald Bloke

[BB]

Having problems getting in

Except via the back door smiley - smiley


And everyone else vanished..

Post 280

Hypatia

smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

I think we should end the story right there.


Key: Complain about this post