A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4221

Courtesy38

*21 posts to go*

Courtesy


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4222

Z

Better add to that, perhaps with a plug for a meet at Millyways, just drop in here.. A1061010


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4223

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Now I have never been one for spamming the Atelier, but it almost seems like an impulse this time We are four times over our normal limit and I miss the FTTF mugs.

Lil, I trust that after this we can go back to our regularly scheduled forum break ever 1K posts or so?


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4224

Afgncaap5

*Ampton heard Lil's statement several posts ago, and is considering it. Instead he just turns back to work. However, he can't resist checking the Crisper (empty, unfortunately)*


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4225

Courtesy38

Like Marv .... I've never been one to needlessly add to the conversation, however it is extremely tempting to try for the FTTF mug with only the teens left.

Courtesy *waiting .... watching ..... smiley - bigeyes


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4226

Hypatia

I scored 11/16. I guess that's about average. This is a classic example of art being in the eye of the beholder. I am definitely not with it. smiley - erm I like more traditional art.

Ok, dumb question, but are we vying for a virtual mug or a real one? Not that I plan to make multiple posts in order to get it. Having a hard time posting at all tonight. I keep timing out.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4227

Afgncaap5

[Ampton]


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4228

SE

14 out of 16 for me. I got the urinal and the chocolate bunnies wrong. I too thought I had seen something about a urinal... oh well.

I understand the theory behind the possiblity of anything being art, as in objects can represent a greater idea or philosophy, i.e. the whole is a lot bigger than the sum of its parts however i think most of it is pretentious crap that gives spoiled rich kids or monomaniacal people something to do with their time and their college degrees.

Just because I doodle on something for an hour doesn't mean its art. It just means I doodled on something for an hour.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4229

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

What if you doodle on something for an hour with the intention of expressing your deep, uncompromising loathing for spoiled rich kids getting grants to do pointless peices of artwork?


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4230

marvthegrate LtG KEA

That said, Sporky, I think that you are indeed an artist from some of the things I have seen you accomplish.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4231

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Ampton, we seem to be doing OK seeing as the food's all cooked and the beer nicely stacked within easy reach. Perhaps you could help me by going down to the planet workshop and monitoring the build for Planet J? Quite easy -- just monitor the tiling and flip the Maker on to the next one when the current one is complete. Then I'm sure we can find something else for you. Thanks.

As for art, I was horrified to learn that Michael Jackson With Bubbles was a piece of art. It was scraggly and badly executed. The subject was banal, the composition poor. The yo-yo stand, on the other hand, has possibilities. smiley - silly

My contacts/friends at the local gallery have sent me off in a new and fun direction, painting gourds. I know that sounds weird, but what they do is get loads of dried, chemically treated gourds from a local rancher for 5 to 7 dollars each, then decorate them and sell them at a very much higher price.

I was dubious at first, but now I see that I am basically doing spherical paintings. I mixed some dry pearlescent pigment with gloss medium and cerulean blue acrylic and painted one gourd that's about 10 inches in diameter, just painted it uniformly, and from the other side of the room it looks like a translucent glass globe. There's two inches of stem (unpainted) that hooks over nicely. I've decided to paint the continents onto this cerulean globe and then paint the stem to look like a lit fuse. Somebody else can decide whether it's art.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4232

Afgncaap5

*Ampton notes that Lil doesn't quite yet note that Ampton is Affy's only IC way to effectively bookmark the Atelier. He considers complying with her request regarding the planet workshop, wondering just what the future implications of that act would be*


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4233

Courtesy38

Alas, it is time for me to go to bed. This was the closest I have ever gotten to an FTTF mug *sigh*

Congrats to whomever wins the mug.

Courtesy


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4234

Toccata

Hmmm I could post 9 times..... smiley - laugh

got 9 on the art test.

Mind you, when I went round the Tate Modern last year, the Warhol exhibition ended up making me feel smiley - ill which anoyed me, as I'm not usually fragile.

Some of Warhols work I enjoyed and could apreciate the skill involved. The videos of the empire state building and the 15 min video of the head and shoulders of a man 'pulling faces' entitled "blow job" did nothing for me.

What disturbed me was the seemingly endless glorification pictures of suicide victims, and murderers. Who would want that hanging on their wall? and more importantly what did the victim's families think?

Most of the rest of the Tate modern was full of meaningless junk, that you will have to had studied art to understand, or read the accompanying booklet.

For me, art should beable to speak for itself.

There we go, rant over! smiley - smiley


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4235

Titania (gone for lunch)

I got 12/16 - I thought the Michael Jackson piece was apalling, and that the design of a urinal is good enough to be considered art...

*shuts up as she remembers that the test asked if she was an art critic*


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4236

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

There were definitely urinals on display in the Tate Modern last time I went. I can't remember who the articts was though. They were dirtier than the one shown in the test smiley - yuk.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4237

Coniraya

Art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

*ducks before anyone can throw a smiley - tomato at her after that pretentious statement*

Off to try and find something for No1 son's birthday on Saturday. So that will be the paperw*rk postponed again.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4238

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Ah yes. I must how I am going to avoid my paperwork too. I may even have to do the ironing smiley - yikes. I've had a request for a reference for someone I taught briefly three years ago. It came out of the blue. I always ask people before I give their names as referees. Surely that's just common courtesy? smiley - cross


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4239

Titania (gone for lunch)

It *is* common courtesy - one shouldn't give a name as reference without checking with the person first

h2g2 is being dodgy for me - my previous postings took several minutes to get through, and just now my pop-up conversations window showed up empty, with 'no name' and 'no recent conversations - anyone else having trouble?


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4240

Gone again

Courtesy common? Not any more. smiley - erm

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"


Key: Complain about this post