A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4161

Toccata

Take a few minutes to reply, and 4 folk go and post in the gap! smiley - laugh


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4162

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

*crosses fingers for Toc*


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4163

Titania (gone for lunch)

'formerly Veet'smiley - huh In Sweden, we still can buy Veet, can't remember seeing the brand Imac though...


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4164

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

[mt]


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4165

Hypatia

Good shushing picture, Ti. smiley - laugh Now we just have to convince Amy or Lil to mke a smiley out of it.

Irv, our summer reading theme this year is Laugh it Up at Your Library. It's a regional theme - about a dozen states are doing it. It's the first year Missouri has gone in on the regional thing. With any luck it will be the last.

I'm doing silly food, unusual buildings, fractured fairy tales, cartoons, silly songs, books made into movies and funny costumes.

We aren't actually part of the city. In Missouri, municipal library districts are independent political subdivisions with dedicated taxes. I work for a 9 member board of trustees. But we recently had the city ask for a sales tax increase to finance our expansion. We could ask for a levy hike but not a sales tax. So now the library district owns the property and has the final say on the building plans, but the city owns the tax and will have to pay the bills. smiley - headhurts We have one councilman who is determined to sink the project and keep the sales tax for city projects. He's outnumbered and won't get his way, but he is making it very unpleasant.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4166

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Sounds like an interesting set up! I hope the new building is nice.

I've been trying to get my mother to put my name higher on the waiting list for the fifth Harry Potter book when it gets in, but she insists on being all ethical and stuff... I refuse to pay $30 for it, and besides, I have the first four in paperback, and don't want to screw up my set by randomly having a hardback edition in there.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4167

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Morning all..
Good luck Toc! BTW, I might want to borrow the odd recipie some time. I feel like a good brew up soon, and am looking for something special.

Irv, if you do it right, you can get the Harry Potter book at a much lower price. Most big retailers are having specials, with discounts for people who pre-order it. That is what I did. I will end up paying about $19 for it.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4168

Hypatia

We already have quite a waiting list for HP, and we're relatively small. I ordered 2 copies and one on tape. But I should probably order another one. Some libraries let staff check out the new items first and some don't. I guess your mom's is one that doesn't. Here it depends on the book. When we have a long waiting list, we make the staff wait until the book comes off of the hold shelf. If there are no holds, then staff can take them before they're shelved.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4169

Phil

[p]


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4170

marvthegrate LtG KEA

When I vollunteered at SLC Main branch, I got to read most books far in advance of their shelf presentation. As I often was in recieving I knew what was in system far sooner than even the regular librarians.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4171

Peripatetic Warrior Monk

Lil, merguez is a spicy sausage possibly of N African extraction as it contains lots of lamb, and is generally a rather vibrant red in colour, it is rampant in Southern France - Provence etc. As for the Macdill Mossies, going for my morning constitutional, I was pursued by what appeared to be a large number of microlights - having said that, trying to avoid being struck by lightning, eaten by sharks or run over by the gentlefolk of the US of A because I was running or riding a bike made life most diverting!


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4172

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Thanks for the advice, Marv. Unfortunately, it'd still be hardback. No, it looks like I'm going to wait for the phoenix library (which will have it later than it comes out in stores)or the flagstaff one (ditto) to get around to my name on the list (much, much later than June 21st). But it'll be free, and I can then wait for the paperback copy's availability.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4173

Toccata

Arran was supprisingly midge free, and I normally get eaten alive!


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4174

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I got bitten yesterday smiley - sadface. Mozzies the size of harrier jump jets lurking in the woods.

Any advance on harrier jump jets? smiley - winkeye


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4175

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I usually don't worry about teh wee beasties that fly about and chew on me. But this year we have to contend with West Nile Virus. It hath reached the Land behind the Zion Curtain.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4176

Hypatia

Irv, do you have a friend or relative who is having a birthday soon? Buy them a copy of the HP, read it before you wrap it up, and kill two birds with one stone. smiley - smiley

Does your mom get to order books with the library's discount?

Marv, please be careful if the West Nile virus is in your area. It's very dangerous. So, you took the books home to read before they were processed? I had a volunteer who has since retired who used to do that. She read them so fast that I didn't mind. But I have a couple of staff members who are worse than the patrons about returning books on time - let alone quickly if a book is on the hold shelf.


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4177

Coniraya

We'll have to keep an eye on those mozzies, if the winters continue to be mild and summers warmer, then we will have malaria back on our shores. Just as they did in the Middle Ages.

In the Bee and Honey tent, at the Show, H's Radio 4 habit came in useful he had a chat with a beekeeper (apiarist?) about the mite that is killing off our bees. All hives are infected and have to be treated to prevent the mites killing off the entire swarm. Apparently this is the reason why there are far fewer wild bees now. smiley - sadface


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4178

Munchkin

smiley - run [Munchkin, Mosquitos, something I no longer have to worry about smiley - biggrin, hello all, must dash] smiley - run


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4179

SE

63 posts to go...


5Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 4180

Hypatia

Getting close to 4242. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post