A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 101

Afgncaap5

Not sure when Attack Of The Clones is coming out. I, of course, retain hope that this episode will be good, despite much to the contrary. I was able to stand Jar-Jar if I only considered him an experiment in using computer technology. Not sure if I'll stand him again.

Okay, the Orchid explanation:

The Orchids were first created (by Lil, I think) in a CLI Adventure Forum with a title something along the lines of "Pan-Dimensional Safari", or something. Basically, in a scene that seemed to cross spoofs with Planet Of The Apes and Time Machine at several points, the adventurers were hurled several decades into h2g2's future. It was discovered that h2g2 had been overun by a skin called "Orchids", that worked in a fashion that allowed any who wore the orchids on their skin to hear/read/experience the thoughts of others, thus turning the Guide into a large collective program. The project had to be throw out IRL, leaving the forces at STUMPED with just enough leverage to finally win out over the good guys of h2g2 in the dust, and causing CLI to merge with STUMPED, creating an institution of mad science that existed basically to provoke destruction and mayhem wherever any factions of free life still existed.

The Orchids were then found later, during the time that the plug was pulled, in a mission to return to h2g2 without the BBC's knowledge, in the hopes of restoring h2g2 to its rightful place. Not much came of it, except the distrubing knowledge that most of the Orchid seeds on h2g2 seemed to be around STUMPED Stadium, putting a certain air of suspicion around The Krylma Leader, long time leader of STUMPED.

Finally, The Orchids were encountered in one other adventure, when several people here at the Atelier decided to have an out-door picnic a few months ago. I didn't get to read the last parts of that adventure, so I don't know the final state of the Orchids after that.

Anyway, that's how I remember the Orchids developing. Is that about right Lil? GL? WM? Anyone else who went on the adventures?


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 102

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Morning all.

Thanks to you all for the kind words about a man that you never met. It helped me through the day to be able to read them as well.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 103

Afgncaap5

Would anyone like to play a game called Molly and Ned? The Atelier would be a perfect place for this game.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 104

marvthegrate LtG KEA

In the words of Doc Holliday, I'm your huckleberry.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 105

Afgncaap5

Good. See you at the Molly And Ned conversation in this forum, then. smiley - winkeye


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 106

Witty Moniker

Attack of the Clones will be released May 16.

Affy, I lurked through the Pan-Dimensional Safari, and yes, your synopsis sounds accurate. But I could never remember all that myself. Do recall that stuff off the cuff or do you have to look it up?

*Goes of to look into Molly and Ned.*


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 107

Afgncaap5

Well, I recalled all of the Orchid information. I just doing it by imagining that I didn't actually help to make it and that I'm a really bag fan of the people who *did* make it. That helps me to remember all of those dumb little things.

I've never been able to get it to work for Star Trek, though. I've heard of people who could.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 108

Garius Lupus

Affy's memory for detail is amazing. Just ask him anything about the dozen or so Infocom games that he played and he can tell you the answer. Oh, that reminds me, Affy. I noticed you haven't hit the sign recently. Did you give up on beating that game?

*Heads over to the game thread.*


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 109

FG

*notices the stampede and settles in a chair in the newly emptied Atelier with a cup of smiley - tea*

Is anyone else watching Rose Red or am I the only sucker for a ghost story in a Edwardian mansion?


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 110

Phil

Perhaps he completed it and didn't let us know smiley - yikes


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 111

Researcher 179388

Molly and Ned? what's that?

*goes off to investigate*


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 112

soeasilyamused, or sea

i've been watching rose red. however, i think i forgot to watch last night. d**n!

oh, okay. thanks, affy. i was wondering if it was a reference to something in the HHGTTG or dirk gently or something. smiley - smiley it's a purly h2g2 conception, then. smiley - ok


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 113

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

A sagacious man nods


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 114

Hati

[smiley - cheerup]


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 115

FG

No worries, sea. It wasn't on last night. Part three is tonight.

What do you think so far? Genuinely scary or hack job?


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 116

Jade (Like a lithium flower just about to bloom... She's incredible math.) and Thras (the token dragon dæmon)

{JJsmiley - elf}


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 117

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Affi is correct in his recollection about the origin of the Orchid skin, although my invention of it derived from Sporky; he posted once or twice in the Pan-Dimensional Safari and in his first appearance described himself as sitting in a tree full of flowers or orchids.

I then developed the plot by having the orchids attach themselves to Ferrari and me, at which point we discovered that they were a collective sapience. After that other expedition members reported the same experience, and I don't know spun the theme into Orchid as "skin".

But I do remember Styx and Ampton finding a crazed Jim Lynn in the ruin of the Towers. smiley - silly And Ferrari and I were last seen heading inside the Temple of the Guide. I think the thread petered out because we lost several researchers to real life, Odra and Redbeard.

JJ now says she thinks the other person was ringing her out to dry. I love this, although I don't know what it means.

Aggressive Water: it attacks things, particularly machinery that is immersed in it over a period of time, like well pumps and water heater elements. The mouth of my kitchen faucet is furry with mineral scale.

I have been away for more than a day because I was badly upset by a letter, but I am pretty much OK now.

I'll tell you about the car later. Art class tonight.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 118

Titania (gone for lunch)

[smiley - elf]


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 119

Chris Tonks

[PCT]

*Writing programs, working in PHP at last, looking into more webhosting packages (ahem, for reselling in fact - a somewhat premature idea), and doing a lot of maths homework. smiley - winkeye*


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 120

Bald Bloke

[BB]


Key: Complain about this post