A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 901

Afgncaap5

Who knows why patriotism is so ingrained into our culture? It's a mystery to me. Don't get me wrong, I love being patriotic, but that might just be the brainwashing talking.

And smilies? Fun things, but I seldom use them. I think for the first year that I was here, I only used smiley - smileysmiley - winkeyesmiley - fish and smiley - sadface. Lately I've been experimenting with the use of some of the newer ones, but I've still not found much of a replacement for the for basic emotions of happy, winking, sad, and fish.

The subject of the names of the robots came up: just so everyone knows, Ampton is a pop-culture reference. Can anyone trace it? smiley - winkeye

Oh, and no Lil, they decided to refrain from giving me the part of the six foot tall invisible rabit. Something about not fitting in the costume.

As for calling cards, they sure come in handy when you can't think of anything else to say. [Affy]


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 902

Researcher 179388

Interestingly the proposals put forward by David Blunkett for immigrants, based on the US system, may eventually induce more patriotism over here.

It is only in the last 50 years or so that patriotism seems to have become something that as a nation we don't go in for. Whether it is a reflection on the race thing and not wanting to upset ethnic minorites, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess.

If you look back at old photos and newspaper articles, we used to be as every bit as proud of our nation as the Americans.

Sol, in the case of the woman and her tea, it sounds like a case of sheer bad manners.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 903

Jade (Like a lithium flower just about to bloom... She's incredible math.) and Thras (the token dragon dæmon)

-JJsmiley - elf


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 904

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

The newest conversation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F38024?thread=166446&post=1734468#p1734468 But first I will say something I decided NOT to put in the new thread's initiative post because I thought we had already gone over all that ground. FG, the high horse belongs to me. This forum was founded on a high horse. The fact that the atelier has thrived for so long suggests that a lot of researchers appreciate a high horse! Seriously, now, the reason for the atelier, the very definition of the word, is to provide a refuge from the more superficial stuff that tends to pervade a lot of other fora. It is completely in character for us to complain about overloads of smileys and conversations that go nowhere! If we didn't, we would gradually become indistinguishable from the rest, and, being salonistas, we don't want that. Everyone is welcome at the atelier. All we ask is for good manners. Surely the reason you all are here is because you've noticed the difference, yes? Let's move on, shall we?


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 905

SE

I think the reason why patriotism is so big in the US is because nobody wants to think that their country, their governement, is fallible.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 906

Galen

hmm...
i agree


Hello From Star xx

Post 907

Researcher 554770

Hiya Odysseus smiley - hug
Like your page, just came online for a look as i cant sleep smiley - sadface hurt my back and arm from carrying two heavy bookcases on my own! smiley - yikes
Well ill talk to you later, goodnight smiley - hug

smiley - starStar


Hello From Star xx

Post 908

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Hi Shining Star

The system seems to have put your post in the wrong place smiley - sadface. This is an old Atelier thread and nothing to do with Odysseus.

It's probably a result of the technical problems the site was having last night.

It's nice to meet you though smiley - biggrin.

Amy smiley - ant


Key: Complain about this post