A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 161

SE

I remember the orchids well, though their effects were unknown to me until the rest of the trecking group showed up. The natives had wisely chosen to stay clear of that forest area, and up until you others arrived I had been living in peace in my treetop bungaloo enjoying my view and some peace and quiet.

Shortly after you all arrived I was seemingly attacked my wild vines and dragged into the deeper forests. While I was dragged I knocked my head on a rock, and without a host the vines soon gave up and withered. I awoke, made my way back to the bungaloo, packed my bags and left. Not an entirely pleasurable experience, but it did bring me back into society.



--

I too watched rose red. It was very forgetable.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 162

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Morning, all! smiley - biggrin

I just upset that they killed the only truly decent character in Rose Red. I liked Nick. smiley - winkeye

I feel like a short Shakespearean quote this morning: "Love is a many splendored thing." smiley - biggrin

Matina, some smiley - tea please. Thank you.

G7


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 163

Sol

One busines English class to go smiley - sadface and then I'm done for the week smiley - smiley


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 164

Uncle Heavy [sic]

is business english how to speak jargon?

like, 'in order to get into the upperquartile fop this cut and thrust industry, the ad department has decided on a new imagineering image which should suit are projectorations?'


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 165

Researcher 179388

smiley - laugh

I went to a meeting of nurses a some years ago when our manager started talking about ring fencing patient services. We all had visions of beds etc behind barbed wire and the patients trying to climb over.

It was the first time we had heard the phrase used, our manager had started an MBA course and was trying out the new lingo. The meeting deteriorated rapidly after she talked about flagging up lack of staff.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 166

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Morning all -- what an interesting discussion my oil story engendered!

I made a decision some time ago that I couldn't learn everything, and after my wrist broke and didn't heal straight, one of the things I decided not to learn was car maintenance. It costs me a AAA membership to remain in this state of bliss.

Preparedness kit in my car consists of:
ice scraper
de-icer spray
flashlight
extra batteries for flashlight
a roll of duct tape
scissors
small first aid kit
several packets of peanut butter/cheese crackers
a bag of Hershey's miniature choccy bars
a sleeping bag
a towel
a mylar blanket
8 half-pint bottles of water

As you can see, I am prepared not to fix my car but to survive until somebody finds me. And that's not a joke in a mountain winter, actually... I really ought to put a good book in with everything else.

It cost $25 for the local chappies to clean off the engine and put a quart of oil back in, and now it runs happily and doesn't smell. Yes, I'll be expecting the dealership to pay me for the extra service AND refund me for the unsatisfactory oil change. And I won't go back there again for routine service. I am so spoiled from my happy and trusting years with Saturn!

*has mental image of an ant trying to hang on to inflating shopping bags in a gale wind* smiley - silly


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 167

Phil

[op]


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 168

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

simulposted with you caer -- I had a similar reaction when the local politico came to the school where I worked and started talking about an "education delivery system".


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 169

FG

I heartily agree Gwen and Sporky. It was rather stinky. Last night I swore I could see the wires holding up the monsters. Tres Plan 9.

Oh well.

Incidentally despite living in the American Outback I only have a jack, a lug wrench, a spare tire, and an ice scraper. I am woefully unprepared. Basically I jump in the car and cross my fingers.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 170

Garius Lupus

I have a tool kit in the car, but basically, that's it. I can do most of the repairs on the car, but I hate doing it, so we take it to our dealer for servicing. (Fortunately, it's a trustworthy dealer). I've found that whenever you go to fix something on the car, some nut is rusted permanently to the bolt, or some bracket shears off, or you need a special tool to put something back together again. It's ALWAYS a pain in the neck. Normally, I hate paying someone to do something that I am capable of doing myself, but for car maintenance, I am quite happy to do so.

Lil - I hope you have somewhere else you can take your car for warranty work that isn't any farther than 4 hours away.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 171

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Witty and d'E The garden state is not the only one that prohibits your own pumping of gas. Oregon also has this law. This came as quite a shock to my friend when he jumped out of his truck and started filling the tank and checking th oil. A teenaged girl who was the pump attendant was looking at him in horror as he went about the business of working on his car.

Ice scrapers are something that I always have in my vehicle, but they are so ubiquitous that I forget that they are there.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 172

Garius Lupus

Oh, and did you see that for a one month trial (possibly permanent, depending on how it goes)

WE CAN PUT LINKS IN CONVERSATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is also a new feature - a pop-up window with a list of your conversations.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 173

Garius Lupus

Here's the links: Url's in conversations: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F77636?thread=164383 New gadget: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F77636?thread=164381


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 174

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Woo-hoo!!! *does Snoopy dance*

G7


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 175

SE

Now we can finally directly link to any new artwork, photos, etc.

Woo Woo. Funny how you don't miss something 'til it is gone.

I am for once URL-less. I'm sure I'll think of a good one soon enough.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 176

Bald Bloke

Links
Woo Hoo indeed smiley - biggrin

and the only one I've found that I want to post at the moment is a Beeb one

For Marv's interest as I Know he's a Floyd fan like me.
The Beeb are running a new radio documentary starting tommorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/inside/pink_doc_home.shtml


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 177

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Thanks BB, I just bookmarked it I hope I can catch some of it.


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 178

Bald Bloke

Marv

I'm hoping they will make it available on audio replay from the site.

They have for some other programmes recently smiley - smiley


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 179

Researcher 179388

Things in my car?
Defunct tyre changing kit (because I call the rescue service, tho it's years since I had a flat, must be over due!)
Torch,
Out of date first aid kit, must get that sorted this weekend.
Did have a blanket, but the cat has adopted that.
Tow rope.
Ice scraper, usually superfluous (mental block on spelling!) as I heat the car up first, really efficient heating system.
Emergency warning triangle, I think, I haven't seen it for awhile, perhaps I should have nicked the one that was outside when the drilling was going on!
Oh and a security nightstick, nicknamed the bommyknocker, as the central locking is excellent at unlocking, but not so hot on the locking bit smiley - silly


45Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 180

sea - logging on from w*rk - using alab*ster BLECH!

....not... pump your own... gas?!?!?! smiley - yikes

what planet is this?! around here, full service doesn't exist! i went to new mexico one summer, and the people wanted to carry my groceries out to my car for me! i thought it was very odd...

you know, now that i think about it, i've never had my gas pumped for me. i always do it myself.


Key: Complain about this post