A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 261

Afgncaap5

I'll have to remember all of this for when I (undoubtedly) get into my first wreck.


Only 105 class periods left until I get out of school for the Summer.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 262

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Morning all. Saturday.

I can report that the biggest hazard on the - mainly two-lane - NZ roads are the American and European tourists who insist on driving on the wrong (right) side of the road.

Luckily, the livestock who escape from paddocks - the gates of which have often been left open by these same tourists - tend to graze on the left.



32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 263

Phil

So if I turn up in godzone then I'll be used to driving on the right (left) side of the road smiley - winkeye


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 264

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

I shall simply walk or ride a bicycle and take care of the whole mess. smiley - winkeye

G7


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 265

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

*swings in on a vine*

Hullo!!! Well, I tell ya, the other side the mountain known as my presentation is much nicer! It went well...so well, in fact, I got a standing ovation from a few of my fellow classmates. So that's over. Now all that's in front of me are a test, three finals, two of which I don't have to study for, and the paper for the Rocky Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Conference (which sounds a lot more high falutin' than it really is!). So I am breathing again!

backlog was well, busy. I just hope that all of you talking about DSL and ADSL and blah, blah blah realize just how lucky you are...in Montana, having a dial-up number that isn't long distance is something of a coup. Really. Sometimes I think the pony express was faster.
I must say the new message (at the bottom of each 20) is much friendlier. Not so much legalese and all that.
And as for vehicular derring do, B17, I am glad you are okay. I once was saved by a sapling from going over a cliff on the alcan somewhere in the Yukon Territory. We swerved to avoid a bear, and all of the sudden the road was slick and oops. The tree was springy enough that it just bent and popped us back on the road like a slingshot. I think about then is when I began to breathe again. Frankly, I can't wait til they invent cars that just go on their own and steer themselves....less human stupidity that way!


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 266

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

It's a bit late for me, but for some of you there are still a few hours left to celebrate "Jedi Day"

May the 4th be with you


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 267

marvthegrate LtG KEA

LOL Loony that was *just* what I needed to hear today. I will wish everyone I know a Happy Jedi day!


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 268

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Does anyone else have an image in their head of Montana Redhead's car being driven by a coyote who stands in mid-air for a moment before realizing that there is nothing beneath him?
smiley - dog


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 269

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

My most spectacular brush with death in a car was on the A420 coming out of Oxford. A concrete-mixer lorry hit my car in the nearside rear corner causing my car to roll... and roll... and roll. My car at the time was a hatchback and the entire contents of the boot sailed passed my left ear in stately slow motion. If I shut my eyes I can still see the car jack and the wheel brace gliding past and leaving the car via the windscreen.

When everything eventually stopped the car was upside down and I was hanging from my seatbelt. I could hear something dripping and then I could smell petrol. That brought the world back into focus and I pushed myself upwards to release the belt and dropped to my knees on the roof of the car. The door wouldn't budge so I crawled out through the tail gate that had sprung open.

The police and ambulance arrived seconds later. The police went and talked to the lorry driver while I was checked over. I wasn't badly hurt, just a few cuts from crawling on broken glass, so I refused hospital treatment and signed the disclaimer. Then the police put me in the back of their car, read me my rights, charged me with dangerous driving and breathalysed me on the grounds that (1) the lorry driver had said it was my fault and (2) they could smell alcohol on me and (3) I was not crying (!).

I was livid. LIVID. smiley - grr I got another wet-wipe sachet out of my handbag and waved it in their faces to demonstrate where the smell of alcohol was coming from (I had been wiping the blood off my knees). Then the wreckers arrived and confirmed the point of impact to the police. What was I suppose to have done? Reversed into the lorry before switching direction and accelerating up the road? They dropped the charges. smiley - smiley


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 270

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Amy, a distressing story but, alas, a fairly typical report on the braindead type of people police forces worldwide are now attracting.

Did the police apologise? Did they charge the driver? Did you threaten to sue? Who paid to repair your vehicle? Did you send a tape of the song "Big Girls Don't Cry" to the head dude at the police station.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 271

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Are you quite certain, Amy, that your mishap did not happen in South Salt Lake Utah? It sounds like the kind of crap they do all the time. In Salt Lake valley there are no less than ten police forces and of them South Salt Lake is the worst. They cause me no end of grief. Of all teh piddly little things they could harrass me for they pull me over regularly for the lack of a light on my licence plate. My truck has never had one but it is the law aI guess. One day I will see if I can get the records of the number of traffic tickets they write in a year as compared to the rest of the valley. I love the FOI Act! (freedom of information) One day they will make it searchable and it will be even easier to see how the cops in SSL are the worst in the state.

Sorry Just got me going after a beer or two

Marv


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 272

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

You have to have a light on your licence plate everywhere, Marv. It's so that if you commit an offence, or someone nicks your truck and goes on a crime spree, passers-by can have half a chance of remembering your number. Be a good boy and get it fixed. smiley - winkeye

To answer Loony's questions: no the police didn't apologise but they did put it in writing that they were dropping the charges. As far as I know they didn't charge the driver either. I have put a curse on all concrete-mixer lorries - it's very effective, just a week after applying the curse I saw one topple over as it tried to circumnavigate a mini-roundabout too fast. smiley - witchsmiley - devilsmiley - biggrin

The car was written off by my insurance company on the grounds that it was all elevations were now more parallelogram in shape than rectangular. However, the scrap yard it was taken to straightened it out, unrolled the roof that had done a sort of sardine-can trick, and tried to sell it. Very naughty.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 273

Phil

[OP]


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 274

Babel17

Thanks for the well-wishes and similar horror stories, guys.
I am fine. I have had my 'warning' and so now it will be caution, caution, caution from now on. Much as i love my car, it has always had a tendancy to slide in wet weather, when application of the brakes is required. I am just thankfull that the other people on the road were ok, and no damage was done. (might have to get a new pair of trousers though smiley - winkeye) I fully expected to get a visit from some form of constabulary during the day, but it would seem that my mishap was not reported by anyone, to which i am very grateful. I would hate to try and explain that one. Oh well, live and learn.

So another Bank holiday weekend, and guess who is working Sat/Sun, yep, yours truly. Backshift smiley - sadface But it is sunny, and I think I shall get some of the garden dug, since my partner has taken herself off for the long weekend with her parents, and headed up north for a couple of nights. I'll be back later.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 275

Chris Tonks

Hope you have a good weekend, B-17. smiley - smiley

Ooh, I'm a Muse now! Muse of Infinity and Dimensional Theory! smiley - biggrin


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 276

Phil

As of tomorrow (sunday) evening I'm going to be doing the horror that is being on call smiley - sadface


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 277

Babel17

Think on this, Phil. It might not be for much longer in this current position. smiley - smiley

Have a good weekend yourself Chris, and congrats on the Musedom.


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 278

Chris Tonks

Cheers B-17. smiley - smiley

And don't you worry, Phil - you'll get through. smiley - smiley


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 279

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

[Kasia]

will be back after reading this lot, you all 'produced' smiley - winkeye

Babel, happy to hear, you are more or less ok smiley - hug


32Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 280

Chris Tonks

Kasia! smiley - smiley
Is it me, or have you not been here in a while??


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more