A Conversation for The Café

The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 181

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

*Amy enters looking a bit singed around the edges*

My monitor blew up.

*addresses the IIEM*

Triple espresso with whipped cream please.

*sits next to Marv*

With things like surfing, skateboarding, windsurfing etc I find that after three consecutive days that things suddenly get much easier. I think it takes that length of time to grow the muscles you need, which are different from the muscles you use in the rest of life. So perhaps you really need a short course or a week on the slopes even if it might seem like a waste of time and money initially.

Even then I'm still carp though smiley - sadface. I have such a poor sense of balance I'm surprised I can stand up at all.

My mother calls windsurfing 'windybreaking' smiley - biggrin.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 182

Witty Moniker

Hypatia, the main branch of our county library had a disaster on Sunday. A supply pipe for the sprinkler system burst Sunday afternoon. They think it froze when it was exposed where an addition is being built. 6000 books destroyed, many out of print. So even if the insurance pays, they are irreplaceable.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 183

Coniraya

*looks rather nervously at the IIEM, after being asked for whipped cream twice in one day*

*the IIEM can be heard muttering about those who ask for whipped cream*

Hi Amy!

It doesn't matter what sort of building it is, building work is never straight forward is it? I expect some boffin from a Uni to come with a formula explaining the whole thing any day now. There must at least be some law of Physics that applies.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 184

Hati

Oh dear! That sounds bad. smiley - sadface


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 185

Hypatia

That's dreadful, WM. I'm so sorry. I'll stop complaining now. smiley - erm

Amy, did it literally blow up? smiley - yikes Please tell me they can't really do that.

And congrats on being a listant. smiley - biggrin


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 186

Demon Drawer

Not a library disastor. Irreplaceable books.

smiley - wah

I didn't even get a chance to read them.

That is really bad news WM. Hope what can be done is done as fast as possible.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 187

Witty Moniker

They are cataloging the losses as we speak. They will cross-reference against the borrowing history of each book to see if the demand justifies trying to replace it. Sounds like an intelligent plan to me. For those interested:

http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,886843,00.html


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 188

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Yes, I'm not sure what the list ant thing is all about but I'm sure it will become clear in time.

My monitor is incompatible with my central heating system. When the temperature sensor warms up the change in resistance allows a coil to charge and eventually there's a loud bang as the coil discharges through a diode, sparks fly, there's a bit of smoke and the picture on the screen goes hour-glass shaped. This continues until I switch it off or the screen dies. If the screen dies, it can take 4 days for it to spring back to life. If I get there first and switch it off, I can get it back on after 5 minutes or so but it's a game of diminishing returns from then on. The process repeats itself until I can only have the monitor on for a few seconds. I need a new monitor but it's not easy to find one compatible with an ancient G3 mac and I haven't any money.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 189

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

*goes over and whispers to the IIEM* it shuts up*


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 190

Garius Lupus

Witty, that is such an awful thing - I hate the idea of books being destroyed. I've always thought the burning of the Alexandrian library was one of the worst disasters in history - such a loss of knowledge.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 191

Titania (gone for lunch)

Ook (a blue orangutang) is where ever you imagine him to be - usually either up in the rafters, or beating someone in scrabbles

IIEM will serve any hot or cold beverage as long as it doesn't contain alcohol, and it can now speak (on the initiative of Irving Washington during one of his brief visits)

*grabs Bumblebee's cookie tin and shakes it*

*opens the lid*

As I thought - empty... it's been a while since Bumblebee last frequented this place...

*puts a plastic bag on the counter filled with packages of chocolate chip cookies*

*starts opening the packages and pouring the cookies into Bee's cookie tin*

Hey - don't look at me like that! I'm not as good as Bee is at baking, you know!

So IIEM has been muttering lately, eh? Maybe it's time to change the filters...

*starts rummaging in the cupboards behind the counter*


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 192

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

/* Wakes up from his nap on the comfy sofa, and slides over to make room for all the new arrivals. */

Hey, if we all start coming back here all the time, will the Café return to it's old schedule of a new thread every Sunday?


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 193

Garius Lupus

Hi Titania. May I have a cookie?

*Peers up into the rafters.*

Oh yes, I see him there now! Hi Ook! Want a game of scrabble?

*Ook swings down from the rafters, snatching DD's banana on the way. He sets up the scrabble board opposite GL and begins to pick his letters. GL picks his letters and groans.*


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 194

Titania (gone for lunch)

A new thread every Sunday?smiley - yikes You mean that this place used to be *that* busy? Oh my G...*swoons*


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 195

GreyDesk

* wanders in carrying a bar stool *


Any chance of a smiley - stout ? smiley - smiley


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 196

Titania (gone for lunch)

*opens one eye*

Sorry GD - see posting 191 (although some of the guests have been known to carry hip flasks, but being very discreet about it)

*gets up, still recovering from the shock at the thought of creating a new thread every week*

Ah! Found them! *triumphantly holds up a box of filters*

Now IIEM, I know I managed to do this once before, but I can't remember how I did it - could you direct me please?

*a mumbled conversation follows between Ti and IIEM*


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 197

Titania (gone for lunch)

*to IIEM* What? Are you sure about this?

*absentmindedly hands the cookie tin to GL*

You mean like this? *opens a hatch*


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 198

Courtesy38

*nods to all the Salonistas*

IIEM another Earl Grey please.

Courtesy


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 199

Garius Lupus

*Takes a cookie and bites into it.*

Mmmm. These are GOOD, Titania!

*Watches the exchange between Titania and the IIEM.*

You know, that IIEM hasn't been in for servicing for a long time...


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 200

Coniraya

It could do with being a little more user friendly. I think it is perfectly reasonable to request whipped cream on a hot smiley - chocsmiley - coffee


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more