A Conversation for The Café

Message from Arrakis

Post 161

Courtesy38

DOH another one I will have to buy smiley - smiley


Message from Arrakis

Post 162

marvthegrate LtG KEA

A bit up forum there was talk about the use of "en" for pluralization. Many computer professionals tend to use it rather than "s" (I need to reformat all of my Windows Boxen" But back on topic, Peirs Anthony also has a book that cunningly disguises itself as a scifi book that will in fact give you a little history lesson. The book "Steppe" is about the Rusisan Steppes(sp?). If you have any interest inthe history of this area pick it up. Anthony also did this with the Bio of a Space Tyrant books. They are the history of the USA rolled into a scifi setting.


Catch-22

Post 163

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Joseph Heller died yesterday, of a heart attack, aged 76. He wrote Catch-22.

*Observes silence for a minute*




When it comes to original dialect in a book, the hands-down winner has GOT to be Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban. Riddley is a cult classic; it's just been released, with a glossary, this year. Read this book and I GUARANTEE you will talk difernt in the forum.

No trubba,

Lil


Catch-22

Post 164

Luna(Queen of Hearts)




Luna smiley - sadface


Catch-22

Post 165

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

smiley - sadface

Josehp Heller, the man I have to thank for my nickname

smiley - sadface


Catch-22

Post 166

Beeblefish

*Beeblefish tips his bowler*

Its so sad to think how many wonderful authors are gone smiley - sadface


Catch-22

Post 167

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Most of the legends are.


Catch-22

Post 168

Krunchy

observes a suitable period of silence


The Fall of Night

Post 169

Bluebottle

Has anyone else read
Arthur C. Clarke's Against The Fall of Night
& the sequal
Greg Benford's Beyond The Fall of Night?


The Fall of Night

Post 170

Freedom

No, are they good?

BTW I've just started on Jack the Bodiless by Julian May...anyone read that?


Julian May

Post 171

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Julian May, Julian May ... Didn't he write a bunch of trilogies way back?

This forum is proving to be a great help for me; I no longer haunt the sf shelves at the book stores because, as someone else pointed out earlier, there's so much formulaic sword and sorcerer crap out there, not to mention bodice-rippers disguised as "litticher".

So instead I listen to you 20-somethings and find out where the good stuff is... Or am I somehow deluded into thinking youse guys are all 20-something boffin university students?

Irving, is it time for Book Club 3 yet? smiley - smiley Clean cups! Clean cups!

Lil


Julian May

Post 172

Courtesy38

Lil, I agree. Now, if I want a good book to read I just look at the forum. If someone in here has read and liked a book, then I will definitely try it.

Also, while I believe there are alot of 20 somethings, I guess I am one too, being 29. I also believe that there are many of us out of college, I know my company is supporting my H2G2 habit smiley - smiley

Oh, and a proper moment of silence smiley - sadface

The good authors seem to be dying and I'm not sure if the new batch has what it takes, but I'll definitely give them a chance smiley - smiley

Courtesy


Life the Universe and Everything

Post 173

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Someone asked for a Bookclub 3. Here it is smiley - smiley

http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=26140&thread=32174

~Irving


Life the Universe and Everything

Post 174

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Thanks Irv smiley - bigeyes

Hey guys, see you in the next room -- I'll pick up coffee and food on the way over.

Lil


Life the Universe and Everything

Post 175

third asst. eng.(deuce of clubs)

whew that first read to catch up on a fourm is quite exhusting an extra caffinited espresso if I may?

I have to say that I have never read a book that was anouther aouthor trying to countunie a great authors series (ie dune,foundation) that was any good.

true there is a lot of sword and sorcery crap but there are a couple really good ones Robert Jorden's "wheel of time" is excellnt , and oh I can't rember the author but "Grunts" is very diffrent and pokes a lot of fun at the traditional forulu.

Evey one here has read "ender game" by Orsen scott Card right?


Life the Universe and Everything

Post 176

Courtesy38

Hey TAE welcome.

We just moved this forum over to

http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=26140&thread=32174

As for Ender's Game, probably one of the most unique and therefore best Sci Fi novels ever.

Courtesy


Egan

Post 177

Insignificant Biped

Axiomatic is another collection of short stories, better than Luminous I think.....His best by far is Quarantine - read that one if you never read any more of his others.


PraTchett

Post 178

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Yes - v. good I thought too - not usually into S .King - but these really grabbed me.


Just Another pointless link

Post 179

Krunchy

Hi,
still catching up on this forum, but I thought you guys and gals might be into this http://www.promo.net/pg/list.html , you probably have heard of it already, but all the same I thought I'd post it.

Do me a coffee pls Irv


Conan Doyle & Victorian Xenophobia

Post 180

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Sorry to add to this old Forum....

TWINE - started off in England though (big boat chase, dome, and all). Villains - 006 from Goldeneye, oh and the media mogul in the one before TWINE - most of the villains - true to hollywood form, do seem to be played by Brits though (Robbie Coltrane, and I can't remember the names of any more of the actors - I can picture them though - that one from trainspotting in TWINE).

I reckon that the reason for Bond being set abroad mostly is simply the exotic - not the xenophobic. Also he IS a spy and there isn't exactly much spying necessary in your own country!


Key: Complain about this post