A Conversation for The Café

The Book Club

Post 121

Zed

I had mixed feelings about the latest Gibson. It is a good book and finished off the trilogy, but he seemed to be trying a bit hard - I got them impression he was a bit bored with some of the characters. but he needed to finish off somehow. But I do like his work a lot.

H&K
Z


The Book Club

Post 122

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Has any one been snared by the wounderful prose offered up by David Eddings? I have all of his books in four series (really two series but that will be for later). He writes a good yarn.


The Book Club

Post 123

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Fascination for math? You might enjoy Greg Egan, especially his short stories.


The Book Club

Post 124

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

The Gods Themselves, although I also quite liked Robots and Empire.


The Book Club

Post 125

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

I think what Marv's saying is that the guy's religion gets into his books too much. Notice he didn't say he won't read books by _any_ religious wacko.


The Book Club

Post 126

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Now I'm definatley out of it. To me a Gibson is a guitar.


The Book Club

Post 127

Bluebottle

Or you could trying taking a calculator to bed to read each night smiley - winkeye
(Sorry - couldn't resist!)


The Book Club

Post 128

Mrs V

Miaoow.
My favourite Norwegian book is Sopies World... Gave up and read it in English after a while though!!


The Book Club

Post 129

Courtesy38

I too have been snagged by David Eddings. I have read all his books. He seems to be the first Fantasy writer I have been able to find that has written a story that stands by the Lord of the Rings. Great writing and excellent characterization.

I have just finished reading the Dune series again. Fantastic. Anyone else?


The Book Club

Post 130

Bluebottle

Courtesy38 - you're right about Dune - I could talk about it's wonders for hours.. In fact, a lot of this conversation has been about nothing but Dune. Which of the series is your favourite?
I read them last year, and only the once - there are too many books in the world to keep up with - I want to read everythign at least 6 times, but there are always other books!


The Book Club

Post 131

Courtesy38

The Robot series will help a little with the end of the Foundation series.

Also, the Empire series which occurs before the Robot series is helpful.

Empire takes humans from Earth to Space, a great series, however, tough to find now that they are out of print and Asimov is dead.


The Book Club

Post 132

Bluebottle

By the way, which do you mean by "The Empire Series"????


The Book Club

Post 133

Courtesy38

I would have to agree with wanting to read everything 6 times. When I decide I need to save some money I just start re-reading books.

As for my favorite Dune I would have to say that it would be God Emperor of Dune. However, I do like Heretics of Dune, also. Really, they are all great with God Emperor heading the list.

I read the new Dune book. Definiteylstay away!!!

Courtesy


The Book Club

Post 134

Bluebottle

Oh, why's that? I mean, admittedly it wasn't by Frank Herbert, but I thought that it may well make things clearer. (Although I was hoping for a sequal, not a prequal, to tie up the Honored Matres saga..)
Also, what do you mean by the Empire series - and how is it out of print?


The Book Club

Post 135

Courtesy38

The Empire Novels are chronologically before the Robot Novels. They include Pebble in the Sky, the Stars Like Dust, and the Currents of Space. All excellent novels.


The Book Club

Post 136

Bluebottle

Oh right - them!! Yes, I've read them all - I'd forgotten about them. So, they're not for sale now? What a pity - I buy all my books second hand - it'd be impossible to afford them otherwise - so I hadn't realised they were out of date.
Have you also read "The End of Eternity"???
Aren't they all supposed to form a 16 book series - one day I'll have to read them all in that order, and see what they're like.

Have you read Greg Bear's new Foundation books?


Dune

Post 137

Courtesy38

I have read the new Dune book by Herbert's son. If you loved the Dune books then stay away. It has none of the granduer or intrigue of the originals. The book directly refutes certain information originally given in Dune and is written with an elementary school flavor.

Direct refutes:

The Bene Thielax (sp?) - who are not known to have a religion until the 5th book (Heretics of Dune) some 5000 years after this new book - are reffered to as religious zealots.

The Bene Gesserit - are portrayed as a week sisterhood that actually fosters emotion.

The list continues. If you wish to find out more then go to the Amazon.com reviews of it.

Sorry for the rant smiley - smiley

Courtesy


Dune

Post 138

Courtesy38

Good job. In the Dune books the House Atredies actually trace their lineage back to Greece and Aeschylus.

Courtesy


Dune

Post 139

Bluebottle

Shame... but is the story any good?


The Book Club

Post 140

Courtesy38

The new Dune book does nothing to clear any of the history of Dune. It also has some blatant misteps with regards to the Dune universe. For example:

Fenring is depicted as a sociopath.
Bene Theilax are protrayed as religious fanatics (which is true but not found out for 5000 years in Heretics)
RM Gaius Mohiam is supposedly Jessica's mother (other memory would have shown that to Jessica)
The Harkonnens have a No Globe and a No Ship (however these do not occur for approximately 200 years in the reign of the God Emperor)

Also, the book is written with a 5th grader in mind. The authors constantly recap everything that has happened up to the current point.

I actually have more ranting above and I believe I will start a Dune discussion on my home page.

Sorry again for ranting smiley - smiley
I feel much better now.

Courtesy


Key: Complain about this post