A Conversation for The Café

The Book Club

Post 101

Bluebottle

Have you got Asimov's Opus 200? That's quite a read - has exerts from the first 200 books he had published, and has all sorts from The Bible to Zoology inside!
As for the Director's Cut of Dune - do you mean the "Alan Smithee" version that's about 3 hours long? I've been trying to get a hold of it for a while, but as David Lynch didn't like it, you can't buy it.
Where did you get the copy?


The Book Club

Post 102

Freedom

I'll just struggle on with a few breaks then.smiley - smiley
I had already actually started re-reading one of my favourite novels already, "Mothertime" by Gillian White. Great book, great writer, recommended.


The Book Club

Post 103

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

I've read Opuses (Opi?) 100, 200, and 300, but don't own them.


The Book Club

Post 104

Bluebottle

He did a 300 as well??? Hmm - I'll have to look for that one, I've only got the 100 and 200. So, what is your favourite Asimov novel?
(With apologies to Freedom)


The Book Club

Post 105

Freedom

...who hadn't really seen the need for apologies but accepts them gracefully, of course smiley - winkeye

Answering the above question I would have to say The Foundation, although I suspect I'm alone in this


The Book Club

Post 106

Cupid Stunt

I've not read any asimov, i keep meaning to. is it worth my while?


The Book Club

Post 107

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Azimov can write hard science textbooks as well as intrigueing sci fi. You should take a look at some of his work to say the least.


Good books, well read

Post 108

Mrs V

Never heard of Harry Secombe!! OK, you can't be from Blighty then!! Had your quiet sunday dinner interupted by a huge welsh man singing very loudly on Songs of praise, who was also one of the funniest people on British radio...


The Book Club

Post 109

Bluebottle

The great thing about Asimov is he's so adaptable, and has written about all sorts of things! So Freedom, what did you think about the Foundation series? Have you read all 7, or just the originals, and have you read the Robot series too.
Without reading the Robot books, the last Foundation ones don't make as much sense.
That reminds me - Greg Bear's written "The Second Foundation Trilogy" has anyone read that? What is it like?


The Book Club

Post 110

Mrs V

Never read Greg Bear, but I have read all the foundation series without reading robot, and didn't have too much trouble making sense of them, but maybe if I go read the robot series now it will enrich the experience! And nobaody has given me any clues as to what ian mBanks book I should get my sis for her Christmas- incase you didn't see the post, she likes them, I hate them, end of story...


The Book Club

Post 111

Bluebottle

I haven't read any Ian M Banks, I'm sorry - and although you can read the whole Foundation series perfectly well without the Robot series, I think it might be nicer. Still, you've got the experience of reading the Robot series to look forward to - and that can't be bad, can it?


The Book Club

Post 112

Mrs V

It was when i lived in Norway last, i think the Librarian was a bit if an SF fan, because although the library only had a small english section it was full of SF and Fantasy!! So they had all the Foundation Books, and I think when I'm home at Xmas, I'll go start on the Robot series... The best thing is that theres always more books you can read!
Hxx


The Book Club

Post 113

Bumblebee

I was intoduced to SF by Bing & Bingsvær, two very odd writers who translated science fiction early in the 70's.
So I have read a shelf-meter or two... Right now I'm plowing throu Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy.
------
But todays recomandation:
Caleb Carr's The Angel of Darkness. I'm trying to persuade my favorite bookstore to order his first book, The Alienist.
-----
Marv, I think that the livestyles or religion or sexual preferences of authors is irrelevant if the books are good. smiley - smiley

-B-


The Book Club

Post 114

Mrs V

Whats your favourite bookstore?? I was in Vallhalla torturing myself on saturday, its not that the books here are that expensive, I just have to eat too! Are you in Bergen (I saw your entry on seeing the eclipse from Bryggen) this could lead to " do you want to be my friend because nobody else does sob!!" Whoever the person is definately has nothing to do with the quality of the books. I agree with you there!
Hxx


The Book Club

Post 115

Freedom

Just the Foundation trilogy (don't remember the titles, but, you know, the first three) and after that "Prelude to Foundation" which was written after the rest but tells of what happened before...reading the prelude after the rest of the books actually seemed like the right order to me. I read them several years ago and I can't really remember why I liked them so much, but I suspect that it has something to do with my fascination for math and what can be done with it.


The Book Club

Post 116

Bumblebee

Melvær Libris on Torgalmenningen is my favorite. I know ones who work there and they know me smiley - smiley
We talk books and sometimes I get to take books home to evaluate. They even stop me on the street to tell me the latest news!
Yes I'm in Bergen.
-B-


The Book Club

Post 117

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

I can't keep up with this forum anymore!


The Book Club

Post 118

Mrs V

Ta for that. Hxx


The Book Club

Post 119

G

I've just finished "All Tomorrow's Parties" by William Gibson. I don't read a lot of SF any more (having spent most of my teenage years reading nothing else), but once in a while there's one I feel I need to read. Tip-top book.

The one I recommend everyone reads, though, is "The Thought Gang" by Tibor Fischer. A wonderfully absurd book about 2 people who rob banks in France in various philosophical styles. It was lent to me by jb (http://www.h2g2.com/U75651 ), and if he's reading this, I promise to return his copy very soonsmiley - bigeyes

While I'm here, can I have a large mug of whatever is your silliest-named coffee please?


The Book Club

Post 120

Mrs V

There you go, our esteemed and very talented coffee maker gave me this to give to you. Its the double double espresso latte mocha chocolate surprise. The surprise is its actually quite good!
Your friendly waitress Helenaxx


Key: Complain about this post