A Conversation for The Café

The Book Club

Post 141

Bluebottle

Don't worry, I enjoy your ranting - but when you do the Dune article on your page, post a link here!


Dune

Post 142

Courtesy38

The story is middling. I had a hard time dealing with the discrepancies and that definitely detracted from the story. The writing style is nothing like Frank H.'s writing. These authors try to spoon feed you everything.

If you were to read it then I would wait until it's a paperback.

Courtesy


Dune

Post 143

Bluebottle

Hmm, okay. I was very confused by the copver I've seen it - paperback, but hardback size. Very strange...
And they've taken away the old covers that fitted together! (Except Chapter House Dune - which wasn't Arrakis anyway..)


The Book Club

Post 144

Courtesy38

I will put a post here. I am trying to figure out if I should create a Guide Entry or just a discussion.

What says the forum?

Courtesy


The Book Club

Post 145

Zed

A guide entry, say I! It's your duty as a researcher.

William Gibson is a (some say >the&ltsmiley - winkeye cyberpunk author. Sort of futuristic stuff, around 'puters, the evolution of the net and people with cybernetic implants. He wrote the (very good) short story that the bizarre film Jonny Mnemonic was based on. But please, don't hold the film against him, he's very good.

I read one of David Eddings series years ago & it was good. I just couldn't face having to locate and read all 94 of his latest series smiley - winkeye

H&K
Z


The Book Club

Post 146

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Oh... I'll go play my Les Paul now. smiley - smiley


The Book Club

Post 147

Courtesy38

On a factual note. If any of you are interested in Pirates I have just read a book called "Under the Black Flag". It's a history of Pirates from all over the world. I have heard some people complain that it reads as a school book, however, I found it an easy read. I would definitely recommend it.


The Book Club

Post 148

%The Calamitous Cranium Boy Who Just got his first approved article (eight weeks ago!!) ~/^Þ

I can't remember where I was having this discussion but I'm sure it was with some of the people around here. About Dune, the movie (I know this is the BOOK club, but hey, Dune is Dune), if you want to know the differences between the short version and the long version, check out http://members.aol.com/hiphats/arrakis.html
Apparently the long version had nothing to do with David Lynch and it sucked so badly that he wouldn't let them put his name in the credits.


The Book Club

Post 149

Courtesy38

I know that the long version didn't have anything to do with Lynch. I have not seen it, however, from what I have heard, they did not let him edit the long version and that is why he did not put his name on it. They did release the long version on LaserDisc and (I believe) DVD.

Courtesy


The Book Club

Post 150

Mrs V

Your waitress is just hanging around, collecting cups and would just like to shamefully admit that she has never read any DUNE. Or seen the film. She is however currently reading last chance to see on her coffee breaks.


The Book Club

Post 151

Bluebottle

Hmm, what is that about?


The Book Club

Post 152

Peregrin

I've come across a short story by DNA on his website, called 'The Private Life of Genghis Khan.' It's very funny, I can email it to anyone who wants it. (It seems to be public domain).


The Book Club

Post 153

Bluebottle

You can mail me!!!smiley - smiley
Pointless, but why not?


The Book Club

Post 154

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

You could post it on h2g2, couldn't you?


The Book Club

Post 155

Freedom

I have smiley - winkeye
LOL


The Book Club

Post 156

Freedom

I looked for him, and there were sooo many books to chose from. Can you recommend any one in particular?


The Book Club

Post 157

Bluebottle

Very true - and give us a link here....
Has anyone come across the short story DNA wrote with Zaphod Beeblebrox in it?
I really want to read that.


The Book Club

Post 158

Freedom

I've read something called "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe", it was included when I bought a huge, leather-bound book containing the 1st 4 hitchhiker books. I've never read it. Maybe I should.


The Book Club

Post 159

Bluebottle

Yep - that's the one... I won't ask you to type it all up and mail it to me... Or will I? smiley - winkeye
I'm on the last Gap book now - it's all getting exciting... Bit disappointed about the way Nick died...(assuming he IS dead.)


The Book Club

Post 160

adeve

I've read all the Foundation and Robot books I could get my hands on (not including the Second Foundation Trilogy) and just loved the way Asimov connected his two "worlds" together in a way that actually was logical. It has though been years since I last read those, hmmm... time to re-read, perhaps...

Other favourites right now are Ender's Game (Card's religion doesn't go into his SF books), Marlo Morgan's Mutant Message from Down Under (or something like that) and Larry Niven's Ringworld (still haven't read the second book, shame on me!)

Under the process of reading are Linna's Unknown Soldier and Garland's the Beach, both for the second time. Linna I read just for fun, the Beach is for a University book report.


Key: Complain about this post