A Conversation for The Café

The Book Club

Post 61

%The Calamitous Cranium Boy Who Just got his first approved article (eight weeks ago!!) ~/^Þ

Have any of you ever read Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card?


The Book Club

Post 62

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Bring 'em on.smiley - smiley


The Book Club

Post 63

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Errr...I know someone who has, but no.


The Book Club

Post 64

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Orson Scott card is a mormon whacko so I don't read him anymore. If I want to read good scifi from a religous weirdo I will read L. Ron Hubbard.


The Book Club

Post 65

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

You should really read Ender's Game... I don't seem to remember it having any religious connotations to speak of. It's one well written, somewhat scary novel with quite a twist at the end. I don't think it mentions God in it anywhere...


The Book Club

Post 66

Bluebottle

I personally am after fellow fans of these authors:
Isaac Asimov
Stephen Donaldson
Arthur C. Clarke
Julian May
At the moment I'm reading Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series, and it's just so undescribable! He's without doubt one of my favourite authors...


The Book Club

Post 67

Dancing Ermine

I actually missed the first two and read Xenocide(book3). My brother read the other two and I just nicked the last one when he'd finished, I was going through a read-anything-with-words phase. From what I saw, it was pretty good, I hope to get around to reading the others eventually.


The Book Club

Post 68

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

I've never read the other two, I just read Ender's Game. My brother read them all and said that the others weren't as good. Card has recently released a new one, Ender's Shadow, that parallels Ender's game with a supporting character from the original as the main character. That's not supposed to be as good as the original, either...


The Book Club

Post 69

%The Calamitous Cranium Boy Who Just got his first approved article (eight weeks ago!!) ~/^Þ

Ender's game is an incredible book. Comparable to Frank Herbert's Dune (don't get me started... on second thougt...) Speaker For The Dead was great, but the other two didn't quite live up to the first. They got too inexplicable-by-science and everyone just got way too powerfull. I'm surprised that he's continuing the series. I'm going to have to find a copy of The Abyss (which was made into a great film).


The Book Club

Post 70

Mrs V

I like those Authors too, can I take your cup?? Another coffee??. Anyway, I was reading Terry Goodkinds series, which Starts with the wizards Rule, or something like that, its been a while, and though I was getting the books when they were on sale in the bookclub I was in, I still haven't read them all. Mainly because the bulk of my SF collection lives in Glasgow, at my mums flat, and I don't! Does anybody have any recomendations to read over Xmas?? My sister loves Iain Banks, not the Fantsy ones, the others, and I want to buy her two for Xmas, so suggestions on a postcard, on on a forum. I read complicity and it scared the skitters out of me!
Hxx


The Book Club

Post 71

Cupid Stunt

Has anyone seen a renagade plate of toasted Spam?


The Book Club

Post 72

Zed

I've just discovered this forum and its already huge!

I'm currently reading Madame Bovary, theres a sad story. I found it in the bookcase. Its obviously one of my £1 classics from the local cheap store.

I love anything by Jerome K. Jerome - Three Men In a Boat has me in stitches! Fortranately, esp. for other sad gits like me who have a PDA, loads of his more obscure stuff is on the web at the Gutenberg project, a whole library online! http://promo.net/pg/query.html.

Enders Game was absolutly brilliant. I thought the sequels were good too, but I agree with most of the other comments. OSC's religious views don't seem to come into his writing much. Bizzarely enuff, I stopped reading L. Ron for the same reason Marv stopped reading OSC!

H&K
Z


The Book Club

Post 73

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Any other religious nuts that I should read?


The Book Club

Post 74

Cupid Stunt

Never mind religious nuts, what about my religious spam?
Well, not religious, just cremated! well toasted!


The Book Club

Post 75

%The Calamitous Cranium Boy Who Just got his first approved article (eight weeks ago!!) ~/^Þ

Really? I just watched the movie in my french class.


The Book Club

Post 76

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Of Madame Bovary? I never could enjoy that book.


The Book Club

Post 77

%The Calamitous Cranium Boy Who Just got his first approved article (eight weeks ago!!) ~/^Þ

It put me to sleep.


The Book Club

Post 78

Zed

Um, I'm reading Madame Bovary in bed, in order to unwind & get to sleep! Looks like a good choice then!

H&K
Z


The Book Club

Post 79

Mrs V

Definately. Either that or a Nice Jane Austen. I'm not putting her down I love the woman, Its just when it comes to high paced action, your not on. And I like nice dreams involving handsome men called Darcy who come to sweep me off my feet...
Sigh


The Book Club

Post 80

Freedom

The Silmarillion...and I'm getting nowhere! Has anyone read it to the end? I fall asleep, can't help myself...smiley - sadface

BTW The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson are five very good books. They are long and in very small print but I don't mind, since it makes the whole reading experience last soo much longer.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more