h2g2 Post 01.07.04

1 Conversation


Posted: 1st July 2004

Was it something I said?

Not only did England and Holland exit the Euro 2004 Football Tournament but Tim Henman failed, yet again, to stay the course at Wimbledon. I, once more, joined my Dutch friends at our local watering to watch the match between Holland and the home nation, Portugal. A fairly lacklustre start by our team during the first half turned into a much better game in the second. Extra spice was added by the failure of the 'beamer' system twice - the first time managing to deprive everyone of seeing the Van Nistelrooy goal - and the TV channel briefly.
What made the evening for me, though, was the reactions of the hordes of orange-clad attendees at the end. Holland had been unceremoniously dismissed and deprived of the opportunity at last to play in a Final. Was there weeping and gnashing of teeth? Threats of reprisal, shouts of 'sack the ref'? No, the whole place erupted with lively music and everyone pranced about as if they had won. A great end to our football fiesta where just about every house wore orange, car horns loudly proclaimed every Dutch goal and good natured discussion abounded. The only casualty - apart from the ones injured on the field of play - will probably be the coach Dick Advocaat who was already walking a fine line before this loss.

And now for something completely different - your Post. Enjoy!

ShazzPRME


 
FEATURES
 
 
FICTION
 
 

 
CARTOONS
 
 

 
REGULARS
 
 

  • QED

  • Gentleman's Singles Champions

h2g2 NEWS
 
 
  • The Post
    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2616338

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more