A Conversation for Ask h2g2

False Advertising

Post 41

towelshop

Another thing I've wondered about is if spacebags are so good how come you never see them being used on Hoarders?

False Advertising

Post 42

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Worthers origional are, of course, a modern creation.... somehow cashing in on its 'long tradition', of, oo, maybe twenty years... smiley - grr W smiley - weirdsmiley - grr

False Advertising

Post 43

Pink Paisley

Unfortunately, being a pedant (and thinking that Werthers Originals haven't been around as long as 20 years -pah!), I interwebbed them.

They've been around since 1903. But Grandad was probably German.....

PP.

False Advertising

Post 44

towelshop

Wow who'd have thunk it.

Opal fruits never made your mouth water which is probably why they changed the name

False Advertising

Post 45

Pink Paisley

Ah, but Opal Fruits (RIP) were only MADE to make your mouth water. The lawyers would claim that if YOUR mouth didn't water, it wasn't their fault.

I believe that the claim that 1001 cleaned a big, big carpet for less than half a crown, was probably correct, dependant on your definition of a big, big carpet.

PP.

False Advertising

Post 46

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

It's next to impossible to get gum with real sugar anymore.
smiley - grr
Even Wrigleys "Original Flavours with sugar" have some aspartame now.

Where is the people-power of Boomer consumers when you need them?
Addicted to 'diet' and anti-cavity conditioning, that's where. Hooked
on a man-made inverted molecule and, ironically, vanity.
smiley - sadface
~jwf~

False Advertising

Post 47

Bluebottle

'Only Smarties have the answer'
No - the answer is 42.

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 48

towelshop

Smarties may well have had the answer 42 since they didn't let on which answer they had smiley - geek

False Advertising

Post 49

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Bran Flakes and 'Tasty' should not be in the same sentence, and stating the word four times is either a ludicrous attempt at brainwashing or a weird double-double-positive ploy." [Bluebottle]

There's a third option, one that was posed by Lewis Carroll in "Hunting of the Snark:"

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true."

Social satire, pure and simple. Advertisers and many salesman try to convince you that something is true by saying it a great many times. Now, as for the notion that bran flakes are not tasty, I can recall when oat bran was very popular, due to its reputed ability to reduce serum cholesterol. People were eating it, not because it was tasty [which it wasn't and isn't], but because the powers that be were telling them three times and more that high serum cholesterol was very dangerous, a notion that we now know to be false, at least for many women. Women with *low* cholesterol are actually at a disadvantage compared with women with higher cholesterol.

False Advertising

Post 50

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

My personal favorite smiley - grr are the sites that insist on 'the most popular choice' - what makes you think that I want what - 'most people' want? This is also popular in other advertising.

< on soapbox >

Several years ago the popular soda pop company 'Coca-cola' decided to bow to their competitor's adds, 'Pepsi' that said three out of five people prefer 'Pepsi' They changed their formula to match the taste of 'Pepsi-cola'

Rather than gaining the support of the 'Pepsi' drinkers, they only drove those who preferred the taste of their old drink to other brands. After only a few months they started selling 'Classic Coke' and won back most of their former customers.

I don't care how popular something is, just tell me why I might want to purchase it for myself.

< /off soap box >

F smiley - dolphin S

False Advertising

Post 51

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Well because Coke "is the real thing"
and because Coke "adds life".
If Santa drinks it, it must be good.
smiley - ok
~jwf~

False Advertising

Post 52

towelshop

Not so keen on all that "the holidays are coming" with cola

Not so for me I have to slave away over a hot stove, that is not my idea of a holiday smiley - sadface

False Advertising

Post 53

Pink Paisley

They are lying to us about Cillit Bang.

That isn't BARRY SCOTT you know. BARRY SCOTT is an actor who isn't called BARRY SCOTT at all. BARRY SCOTT is played by an actor called Neil Burgess.

(Originally posted in the wrong thread)

PP.

False Advertising

Post 54

Bluebottle

'Bang and the stain is gone!'
What exactly is being banged? The Arthur Rank gong?

I won't start on the number of adverts that portray their product as being alive, or other similar offence. Washing machines do not live longer with Calgon - they are machines. Not alive. The clue is in the fact they are called Washing MACHINES.

Mr Muscle does not love the jobs you hate - it is a cleaning product in a container with no emotions of any sort. Not even smiley - love.

I'm also not impressed with the 'Cats would buy Whiskers' advert. Even if a cat was capable of going to the shops, buying some and carrying it back home, any true cat would still prefer to simply stare at its owner and bend him/her to their will to go buy it on their behalf.

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 55

swl

Now THIS is an advert -

http://youtu.be/XhVV-E0k57c

False Advertising

Post 56

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

"they're tasty tasty, very very tasty", wasn't, from memory, the slogan for bran flakes....... can't remember what it was for though....

and, its "bang and the dirt" "is gone"... smiley - ermsmiley - biro clearly I pay too much attention to TV adverts smiley - snork though the absolute worse are those toothpaste ones... with the purposefully cut up, clunky audio 'dialogue', to make you double-take, and pay attention even when your not listening smiley - grr very cheap trick IMO smiley - grr

False Advertising

Post 57

Deb

It definitely was Bran Flakes:

http://www.headington.org.uk/adverts/breakfast_cereals.htm

I can hear the damn song in my head now. Earworm!

Deb smiley - cheerup

False Advertising

Post 58

towelshop

I like cilit bang it works, it even gets tea stains off cups, I clean everything with it, even hwmbo. smiley - winkeye

False Advertising

Post 59

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

If you eat bran flakes with prunes, nuts, and raisins, they taste better, but that's no advantage of the bran itself. It would still taste like bran without the other stuff.

False Advertising

Post 60

KB

It isn't that bran actually has a bad taste; it just doesn't have that much of a taste at all. It's a bit like rice. Not much fun on its own, but if you eat it with other things that taste nice it's fine.

Key: Complain about this post