A Conversation for Ask h2g2

False Advertising

Post 21

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Since Shreddies seems to be a breakfast cereal, I feel relieved about not being totally out of touch.

False Advertising

Post 22

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - chef
Seems the same basic product is available in the US from General Mills
and is sold as Chex. Plain and assorted sugar and fruit coatings.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2012/08/20120810-chex-apple-cinnamon.jpg

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

False Advertising

Post 23

towelshop

Iron Bru is not made from girders (Am I showing my age now?) and McVities biscuits do not give you the same feeling as stroking a cute kitten.

I also don't believe that Dr Pepper is misunderstood smiley - erm

False Advertising

Post 24

SashaQ - happysad

Yeah, those McVities ads are weird...

False Advertising

Post 25

Pink Paisley

I knew someone once who was indifferent about Marmite.

PP.

False Advertising

Post 26

Bluebottle

If you don't follow the fireworks code, Hale and Pace probably won't break your legs (but obviously that still doesn't make it a good idea).

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 27

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Seems the same basic product is available in the US from General Mills and is sold as Chex. Plain and assorted sugar and fruit coatings." [jwf, aka squiggles]

Well, Chex used to be made by Ralston-Purina. I don't know whether General Mills bought just the cereals or the whole company smiley - footinmouth.

False Advertising

Post 28

KB

Purina are more famous for dog food here. But come to think of it, Shreddies aren't a million miles away from dry dog food. smiley - laugh

False Advertising

Post 29

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I have no opinion, either way on Marmite... smiley - alienfrown but then, that's probably because I've never, to my knowledge, tried it smiley - shrug Some dried dog food is rahter tasty smiley - laughsmiley - blushsmiley - weird

False Advertising

Post 30

Bluebottle

Bran Flakes were once advertised with the words 'They're tasty, tasty, very very tasty. They're very tasty'.
In fact that's wrong, wrong, very very wrong. That's very wrong.
Bran Flakes and 'Tasty' should not be in the same sentence, and stating the word four times is either a ludicrous attempt at brainwashing or a weird double-double-positive ploy.

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 31

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - fairy Do any of you remember the original Fairy ad, which sang

For hands that do dishes can be soft as your face....

Well, that's no longer true, Fairy liquid (along with all other brands I've tried) strips the skin from my hands.

Where IS my butler?

False Advertising

Post 32

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

OH... tell me about it smiley - blushsmiley - diva Whatever washing up liquid I use now, just distroys my skin and cu cuticles on my hands smiley - blush costs a fortune in handcream and cuticle oil smiley - laughsmiley - blush

False Advertising

Post 33

bobstafford

Buy a dish washer sounds like you will save stacks of cash smiley - laugh

False Advertising

Post 34

bobstafford

Whats a cu cuticle smiley - erm

False Advertising

Post 35

SashaQ - happysad

I like Bran Flakes, but I guess it is relativity... They're tasty in comparison with Cornflakes, or even Shreddies, but 'very' is stretching it a bit, I agree...

False Advertising

Post 36

Bluebottle

The thing is, as they were advertised with the words 'They're tasty, tasty, very very tasty. They're very tasty' I do not think it unreasonable to not only judge their tastiness in comparison with other leading brands of breakfast cereal, but with any and all known forms of food, beverage, confection and edible delights. After that sort of build-up, I would expect something that tastes even more satisfying than a Bakewell Tart or Christmas Cake with thick marzipan and oodles of royal icing. And they're not. Even sprinkled generously with sugar, they just taste of cardboard.

Healthier than cakes, true, but it wasn't on their nutritional content that we were asked to judge them, but on their tastiness.

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 37

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

Yes BB I agree they do taste of cardboard

"kids and grownups love it so... smiley - musicalnote"
haribo sweets generally they are just a bit sickly I mean I like some but love... I don't think I'd go that far

False Advertising

Post 38

Bluebottle

I agree - they just taste of rubber and get stuck in my teeth.smiley - grr
I much prefer Dolly Mixtures.

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 39

towelshop

My Granddad also never had worthingtons toffee, he always had thorntons special toffee smiley - erm

Sadly My son has missed on on this worthingtons business because My dad and My sons dads dad also don't have them.

False Advertising

Post 40

KB

...and my grandfather never bought Werther's originals. In fact I don't even recall seeing them on the market until I was about 16.

And while we're at it, a man can get many, many things that are a hell of a lot better than Gilette.

Key: Complain about this post