A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Advertising stupidity - now with added Title

Post 1621

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Did anyone watch Screenwipe last night with Brookers "Top 10 Cocks and She Cocks in Advertising ever"?

Post 1622

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

Arrgh, no I forgot.smiley - wah
Incidentaly, I had a call from the Barcla*card people this morning.
Me: You're phoning the wrong number.
Them: I do apologise.
A minute later, a text from them: Your account is overdue and you will not be able
to use your Barcla*card unless..etc.smiley - groan
smiley - vampire

Post 1623

Bright Blue Shorts

I actually love that advert on the occasion or two I've seen it HOWEVER the actual product is something that really gets my goat.

If I'm not mistaken this is a debit/credit card which you need only swipe to make your payments. This idea came out of the States ( Chase Blink) and the advertising said it was safer than normal cards.

You have a card that you need only swipe to make a payment. No signature or PIN, so that makes it safer? So I drop my card or get it stolen and any old fool can go on a shopping spree before I realise. Hardly my idea of safe.

And the trouble is that it's infiltrated our culture. I now go to the supermarket and they refuse to touch my credit card because they're trained not to touch it because we might be worried that they're going to skim it or something ...

Post 1624

urchinvic - the budgies are restless

I really detest the new Mr Muscle ad. The old one with the scrawny bloke was bad enough, but that cartoon "superhero" figure is too much to endure. Its the way the woman shrieks "MR MUSCLE!!!" when he appears. God, the very thought.

Post 1625

Researcher 815350

Bright Blue Shorts...

Kinda. You don't even need to swipe these.

Touch your card against the secure reader and your payment is made.

If you have a year to spare one day, you can watch this BORING YouBUBE on the subject of; Near Feild Communications (NFC).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCsdaB_t-o

Post 1626

Mr Muscle, has anyone noticed that he lacks genitalia?
Probably the result of prolonged use of the cleaner.
smiley - vampire

Post 1627

invisibleknight

The advert for Southern Comfort where their suddenly calling it "SoCo" in an attempt to rebrand all of a sudden and cash in on the Jack Daniels/JD thunder?
I've drunk Southern Comfort since 1988 and never once until this advert came out have I ever heard it referred to as "SoCo".

The Barclaycard swipe advert?
Has anyone noticed how he manages to change his physical direction several times during the course of his impossible journey facing both forwards and backwards in a tube he can't possibly turn around in.

Post 1628

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

he goes along open top sections like in the shop, he could turn around then!!!!!

smiley - bat

Post 1629

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

I am told that some people in america call Southern Comfort SoCo and have done for quite some time.

I still refuse.

Post 1630

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Ye gods I hate that Southern Comfort advert smiley - yuk

Anyone seen the new Coco Pops advert? The one where the woman puts warm milk in her wee one's bowl and hippos dance to the tune of Sign Your name? I sat there with my mouth open through that thinking "what the bloody hell?" smiley - headhurts

Post 1631

Taff Agent of kaos

the other coco pops adverts were ok

the sight of large swaety hippos bathing in the cereal realy turns my stomache

smiley - bat

Post 1632

urchinvic - the budgies are restless

the coco pops ads have always really teed me off. There are so many annoying ads on at the mo, apart from the cravendale ad. Oh, and that one for frank where david mitchell is doing the voice-over as a dog. Very peep show.

Post 1633

Orcus

That 'Knock off Nigel downloads knock off films' thing (not strictly an ad I'm guessing smiley - winkeye).

Because, yeah, everyone's going to point and tut at someone who's indulged in downloading from filesharing sites smiley - rolleyes

Post 1634

Researcher 815350

*Points* and *gasp* download stuff from the internet? *Shocked!*

Seriously avoid LimeWire though.

They are rather stupid these don't buy a pirate DVD, and often having them on 'proper' ones bought from, say a supermarket chain seems all rather redundant; kind of makes me want to go to a car-boot sale and pay 25 pence for a DVD just because it's got all the trailers and smiley - bleep cut out.

smiley - erm

Post 1635

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

"That 'Knock off Nigel downloads knock off films' thing "

smiley - laugh

Yeah it is always my experience that people selling knocky DVDs etc are pariahs in the pub and office.... smiley - rofl

A smiley - erm pal of mine recently told me how watching the Knock Off Nigel advert reminded him to log onto "The Pirate Bay" to see if there was anything new to download....

Meh heh heh

FB

Post 1636

Orcus

smiley - snork

Post 1637

invisibleknight

Yeah, I think most people laugh at that "Knock Off Nigel" advert.
Its going to be really effective isn't it?

I like the interesting piece of libel/slander/defamation of character where they think anyone who buys/downloads knock-off dvd's also "steals money from whiprounds", is it legal to actually make a statement like that in an advert?

Post 1638

Just been to the cinema today to see the Angelina Jolie film (movie) and I thought you would like to know
that Dennis Hopper has the Orange people on a bus.
He's instructed the driver, "nobody gets off the bus."

Rumour has it that this may be the last of the series.
smiley - vampire

Post 1639

Bright Blue Shorts

You mean this one ? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRuuj1oFfI

Must admit if that's the quality of them now, it's probably best they end it there.

Post 1640

Yes it was a good run so maybe it's best to end it there.
At least Orange have the grace not to milk it too long.
I wish the same could be said for the advert that precede tv shows
like CSI for instance.
Couple that with the endless repeats of the progs it's beyond irritating.
smiley - vampire

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more