A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Video games

Post 1121

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Picked up a 2nd hand copy of "Alan Wake"

- which promises to be a sort of Silent Hill / Resident Evil* 3rd person explore and kill - but as extolled to me by the person encouraging me to buy it - mixed with a Stephen King novel.

Not played it yet (I was unpacking yesterday after my trip home) but when I do I'll report back. The quirk seems to be you fight with light and the dark brings the badness so carry some spare batteries for that torch..... smiley - skullsmiley - skullsmiley - skullsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - run

*before it got weird and stupid

Video games

Post 1122

started playing Alan Wake yesterday. Really enjoying it. smiley - ok

It's got a superb plot - and though the gameplay is linear rewards exploration with exposition and hidden weapons caches that makes taking on the host of supernatural bad guys (which spawn in shadows and attack on mass and the only thing you can fight them off with is light, and if you have one, a gun....)

The plot centres around a writer who might be loosing his mind, or who is involved in a complicated plot of supernatural forces control the denizens of Bright Water to release it from it's underwater prison.

It plays with paranoia and the fear-of-the-dark premise is well realised when you arrive at a place with no weapons armed only with a torch and your character announces he'll have to cross through the woods unarmed, it'll be risky, but it's the only way to get to the farm' - if your heart rate isn't elevated, you're dead.

It's a Microsoft studios title, so I'm guessing it's only on X-box and probably PC / Steam.

But it is recommended - if you can get to try it, do so. smiley - ok

Video games

Post 1123

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Going off on a slight tangent, EA have announced that they're closing Sim City Social on Facebook. Apparently it's because it's an old game and they need the server space for newer titles, but for a game that's only around a year old and with 1.4 million players I call shenanigans. My theory is that with this closure fans will shell out for the full fat Sim City, but judging by the response to the announcement I think EA have hammered a massive nail into an already half closed coffin.

Video games

Post 1124

sprout

Am playing Worms Apocalypse - retro fun... Quite difficult as well.

sprout

Video games

Post 1125

Oh I used to *love* worms!

AIRSTRIKE!!!!!!! smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - run

Video games

Post 1126

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Worms! I've got the odd one or several of those.

I love the Inflatable Scouser. Very silly indeed.

This week I am mostly killing zombies (again) on an paradise island (again). Dead Island: Riptide - welcome back, old friend. smiley - biggrin

Video games

Post 1127

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Last night I found all my old PS2 and PC games that have been hiding from for for about three years. I wonder how backwards compatible Windows 8 is...? smiley - bigeyes

Video games

Post 1128

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I was told this week that I am to be made redundant at the end of this month. That means that I could be facing the last period during which I have money to spend on luxuries, so I am looking to buy things which will last me a long time for the spend.
Oh look, Skyrim is down to £12.50 on Amazon.

Video games

Post 1129

You'd probably be best buying the 'Legendary' Edition - it has all the add ons as well smiley - winkeye

Video games

Post 1130

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

Dota2

Video games

Post 1131

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Via the magic of Dolphin I am playing Zelda: Wind Waker on a GC emulator. Upscaled to 1080p:-

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/

And jeez louise I forgot how good it was. 10 years later and it still looks beautiful. Srsl folks this game is better today than 90% of all the games I have played in the last 10 years.

FB

Video games

Post 1132

Vip

Oooh, thanks fb. That looks really interesting.

smiley - fairy

Video games

Post 1133

>>Zelda: Wind Waker<<

I'll just play that on me GameCube, then smiley - winkeye (Black one, although I used to have a purple one)

I've just wasted a Sunday. I played Rise of the Guardians. Three word review: Repetitive Brain Injury.

Video games

Post 1134

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I never played Wind Waker but we (bf and I) love Zelda. Unfortunately we find Twilight Princess too difficult. But Skyward Sword is promising so far - even if I don't like the graphics style so much.

Video games

Post 1135

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

The thing is Dolphin can upscale to 1080p. So it actually looks loads better than on the Gamecube.

Is just wonderful.

FB

Video games

Post 1136

Bagpuss

I'm replaying Borderlands, this time with a Hunter instead of a Siren. I don't know if I've improved at my choice of weapons and upgrades, but it seems easier this time round. Leaving a lot of side quests uncompleted.

Video games

Post 1137

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

I've been suckered in by the Steam summer sale (other games vendors are available) and picked up Fallout New Vegas, a Civilisation V upgrade pack (though not the most recent one), Bioshock 1, Faster than Light, and the Baldur's Gate enhanced edition reissue. Probably more games than I'm going to have time to play (especially as I still haven't finished Dishonoured) but they were very cheap!

I've started on Baldur's Gate. I missed it when it first came out but did play BG2. I think BG1 has stood the test of time reasonably well, but it does feel a little insubstantial and buggy compared to later offerings. I guess Dragon Age 1 is really the game of choice for this kind of thing, but it's not a bad bit of quasi-nostalgia. Was also interesting reading various web attempts to explain the old D&D second edition ruleset that underpins it, which time has not been kind to!

Video games

Post 1138

Bagpuss

I picked up Fallout New Vegas as well, though at the moment I'm playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Video games

Post 1139

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I'm watching my bf playing Fallout New Vegas, we're both surprised about how good it is. Fallout 3 will hopefully arrive today or tomorrow from amazon.

Video games

Post 1140

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I'm on my third playthrough of F:NV... Clocked up 89 hours total playing time so far. There are *still* quests I haven't done and locations I haven't visited.

Warning, Fallout 3 will seem bleak and humourless by comparison.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more