A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What video game are you playing?

Post 601

Malabarista - now with added pony

Try the Mardek RPG series - they're a bit "vintage" in look, but quite well-made, turn-based, and available free to play online.

The first three chapters of 8 are out. smiley - ok

Post 602

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Oh, also I won't pay more than £30 for a game, and no more than £20 unless I am very eager, and have assurances that I'm definitely going to enjoy it. I just looked up Dragon Age 2, and it's £38.99, so I definitely won't be getting it for a few months, until it drops a bit in price.

Post 603

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Well in Fallout 3 and New Vegas you have VATS which kida gives you an element of turn based combat (though it still requires some FPS skill).

Alternative what about playing some old skool games. Baldur's Gate is still (IMHO) one of the best video games of the last 15 years or so... and is still fun to play. You can probably get it on Fleabay for a couple of quid in all...

FB

Post 604

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Well, at some point I want to replay through Final Fantasy X, which I think carried that strategic element to it's best effect, but I'm really thinking more of games to play on my PS3. The trend for modern games seems to be much shorter, more action-based than strategy-based, and with only a weak plot to hold it together. I'm looking for games which buck that trend.

Post 605

Did you see my post 601? Not sure it'll work on a PS3, but they are good games...

Post 606

Ah, I did wonder about the online bit. My PS3 isn't plugged into the internet currently. Are they entirely internet-based games? I've just typed 'Mardek' into Amazon and it isn't finding anything.

Post 607

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Pen and paper... best way to get an RPG that doesn't rely on quick reactions and multi-tasking under pressure. Plus, for the price of a few video games you get enough material to create a lifetime of original adventures. smiley - seniorsmiley - geeksmiley - tongueoutsmiley - run

Post 608

IctoanAWEWawi

Hmmm turn based rpgs. Don't really like them myself, I've yet to find an fps rpg where you can't just concentrate on endurance for HP and strength or speed for combat and then just press every key in range until the baddie is dead. FO3 and FNV work reasonable well with this approach. As do Oblivion and Morrowind. But they do have the option of trying it a bit more subtle.

Pools of Radiance wasn't overly bad in turn based terms (but you can't power play it). Dunno if consoles can get mods or not? Cos the 'Fall From Heaven' RPG/Fantasy mod for CivIV is very good although more strategy turn based than RPG. I've recently played the demo for Disciples III which is sorta turn based for wandering around and quests. Very turn based/strategy hexagon based for combat (happens in a separate game interface) and has castle/city building elements too. I ain't saying it is great, but I found it mildly engrossing. Worth a look if you can (demo is on steam for anyone who is on t'net).

Also, for a bit of retro gaming, not sure if the old Heroes of Might and Magic stuff ever made it to console? They were strategy Fantasy/RPG.

Post 609

The problem is that, for a dice-and-pencils RPG, you need to get several people together on a given day. I'm already involved in FOUR D&D groups (including one I'm DMing), to the extent that they sometimes get annoyed that I can't meet with one group because it clashes with another.
I want something I can pick up and play, for a couple of hours at a time while nobody else is around. Also, I'd like things that make use of my brand-spanking-new (second-hand) PlayStation 3.

Post 610

My gaming group often meets on MSN - try that and you can have two parallel smiley - laugh

Post 611

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Crysis and Crysis Warhead
Killing Floor
Deus Ex

All of those were a complete steal, gotta love the Ssteam sales.smiley - biggrin

Post 612

My sibs bought me Heavy Rain for Xmas. I like the idea (that what you do during the game affects the final plot outcome) but it will have to wait for now. I'm nearly done with Dragon Age (downloadable content aside), and then I really want to get to Dynasty Warriors 6 ... after I've worked down my backlog of unwatched DVDs, that is.

Post 613

Vip

Oh god, Dynasty Warriors... we lost hours of our life to that game until we were playing it in our sleep and had to stop. Dynasty Tactics was good too (but a completely different game).

Have fun. Oh, and do let us know how Heavy Rain goes, I was thinking of picking it up yesterday. I opted for Rise of the Argonauts instead, which I have since heard is pretty poor. I'll find out when I boot it up, I guess... smiley - erm

smiley - fairy

Post 614

IctoanAWEWawi

re: pen and paper RPGs.
There is at least one software suite which allows for online versions of pen and paper. I.e. it provides a virtual tabletop and various sets of rules (for different RPGs). Individual players log in from wherever.

I'm only aware of one such company/software suite but sure there must be others. I found it by googling for online versions of the Rolemaster RPGs. Never tried it though so dunno how well it works. Half the fun of pen and paper is the social side.

The one I found is called Fantasy Grounds, others may be available and I ain't tested it.

Post 615

IctoanAWEWawi

Muffy the Penguin
"The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Crysis and Crysis Warhead
Killing Floor
Deus Ex"

Well, that's your revision sorted for this year then smiley - winkeyesmiley - biggrin

Post 616

Zero Punctuation predictably tip top with his best and worst films of the year!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2607-Top-5-of-2010

FB

Post 617

I helluva want to play ES5:Skyrm wish Bethesda would bloody well hurry up!

Also how cool a place does Bethesda seem to work?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/10/video-behind-the-scenes-of-skyrim.aspx

FB

Post 618

Portal 2 Trailer.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2949-Portal-2-Panels

FB

Post 619

Odd, I really thought Elder Scrolls was a JRPG series.

Post 620

No!

I'd say it is very much the archetypal wRPG!

FB

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more