Post 17661

Pastey

smiley - laugh

"What news story has caught your attention today?" thread

Post 17662

Bluebottle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38561076
'Missing element' in Earth's core
Personally I think the missing element is 'Dinosaurs'. I've seen 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' (1959) and 'At the Earth's Core' (1976)…

<BB<

Post 17663

ITIWBS

The science looks sound.

Post 17664

Pastey

New News Story:

So, Trumps latest revelations and showering preferences eh?

Post 17665

Baron Grim

As it's currently "Unverified", I will remain "cautiously interested".

If this does turn out to be balderdash or counter-intelligence that will be very bad. Trump can go around making wild unsubstantiated claims as he has been doing for the entire previous 8 years, but if this turns out to be simply strategically timed retribution for the things wikileaks/Russia released to damage the Clinton campaign this will turn around and bite the democrats and the intelligence agencies in the ass like nothing we've ever seen. This would be quite possibly worse than Watergate. The democratic party, the media, and the intelligence community would lose all credibility and would hand the Trump administration unfettered rule with no legitimate checks and balances.

Post 17666

Pastey

Unless its a double bluff and he's fed it to them in the first place.

There's a lot going on for sure, and I'm sure glad I got to visit America before he's had anything to do with ru(i/n)ning it.

Post 17667

Baron Grim

He's giving his first press conference at the moment and I now have some empathy for all those Obama haters. Just hearing him speak sets my teeth grinding. I try to be objective, but his style of speaking and his constant use of what should be hyperbole but is what he actually means just makes my eyes roll. Everything is superlative from him.

I do hope he gets taken down and I hope he takes Mike Pence with him, but it has to be done legitimately.

Oh, have y'all heard he's thinking about making a special position regarding vaccinations and putting a renown anti-vaxxer in charge of it. smiley - facepalm

Seriously, this is horrible.

Post 17668

Superfrenchie

smiley - bigeyes
It's like someone gave him a book called "Things To NOT Do When You're President", but they put a sticker on the "not".
smiley - facepalm

Post 17669

Pink Paisley

The press conference was simply cringe worthy.

He just doesn't sound presidential - he has now legitimised the word 'carp' to rubbish anything he wants to discredit, he just sounds like he is talking to a table full of blokes with beer down the pub.

PP.

Post 17670

Pastey

You go in weirder pubs than me.

Any place I go would throw him out for being drunk and obnoxious.

Post 17671

Pink Paisley

Stevenage.

PP.

Post 17672

Pastey

I'm so sorry, I had no idea smiley - winkeye

Post 17673

Baron Grim

I'm not familiar with Stevenage, so I did a Google image search. It looks like a perfectly cromulent town. smiley - ok

Then out of curiosity I did an image search for my funky little town on Galveston Bay with the misspelled name Bacliff.

smiley - facepalm

Seriously, if it weren't for my elderly parents I wouldn't live here.

Post 17674

Pink Paisley

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/27/theresa-may-donald-trump-hand-holding

Theresa May and Donald Trump holding hands at The White House.

Begs the question. Had he also been cuddling her cat? smiley - tongueincheek

PP.

Post 17675

Baron Grim

Buried in the avalanche of disturbing news out of the Trump regime, last week Trump purged the State department leaving almost no one in charge. He did this just before he signed his heinous order blocking Muslims from 7 nations, an action that would surely have been discouraged by members of the State department (and was discouraged, but ignored, by members of the DHS and others).

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/29/state-department-purge-trump-foreign-policy

Considering how he is also putting gag orders on those in the EPA and the National Parks Service, and other recent actions he's taken, it seems obvious he is eliminating any significant dissent. For a man with such notable disregard for reality, this is truly troubling. Very few Congressional republicans have offered up any resistance to him and those that have, Trump has dismissed as "weak".

Trump has also notably reorganized the "principals" of the National Security Council, demoting the heads of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Intelligence while promoting members of his POLITICAL inner circle, Bannon and Priebus.

Could this be the beginning of something that could be considered as a coup?

Post 17676

Icy North

Squatters from the Autonomous Nation of Anarchist Libertarians (work out the acronym yourself) take over a Russian oligarch's grand house in London:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38800238

The BBC's arts correspondent certainly had fun working the acronym into his article:

" ... I will admit I'm interested in Anal. Its members are doing something I feel I've rather missed out on... "

Post 17677

You can call me TC

Put the way BG describes the situation, I can see parallels to the set-up that spawned Stauffenberg's plan.

Post 17678

Baron Grim

I'd prefer Deep Throat's plan to Stauffenberg's.

Folks are questioning whether it's right to question the mental health of the president. Any one who can read and hasn't swallowed Trump's Kool-Aid is questioning whether Trump has a personality disorder or worse; but specifically many psychologists and psychiatrists are openly questioning whether he might be demonstrating "malignant narcissism". Doing so openly violates the "Goldwater rule" that the American Psychiatric Association established after many questioned 1964 presidential candidate Barry Goldwater's mental status. (Many now think their armchair diagnoses were wrong in hindsight.) But now, with Trump's twitter feed giving seemingly direct insight into Trump's every thought, some are deciding the Goldwater rule should be amended or scrapped.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/donald-trump-mental-illness-narcisissm-us-president-psychologists-inauguration-crowd-size-paranoia-a7552661.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/health/analyzing-donald-trump-psychology.html

Post 17679

swl

Heard the same stuff with Reagan then Bush, then Bush again. In fact, with every Republican President.

Post 17680

Baron Grim

Not from licensed psychologists and psychiatrists (in the US). Sure, political pundits question the sanity of the opposition all the time, and from both parties. There were all sorts of questions about both Clintons, especially considering the philandering of Bill.

But I think what's significantly different with Trump is his observable repeated denial of established reality. Quick examples include his birtherism, his insistence that he saw "thousands and thousands" cheering in New Jersey City cheering from rooftops on 9/11, his insistence that his inauguration crowd was the largest in history, his claim that climate change is a hoax created by "Jhina", his claim that he would have won the popular vote were it not for 3 million illegals voting for Hillary, and the list just keeps growing. Also, is his obsessive attacks of anyone that criticizes him, mocks him, or points out these blatant fallacies. He's observably irrational and often delusional. But he's appealing to some nationalistic fervor from his supporters who are also resistant to reason.

Key: Complain about this post