A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Betwixt among and amongst

Post 641

Abi

Betwixt was not invented for Scrabble - it is used by Milton and Shakespeare. Its root is in Middle English where it is spelt Bitwixt and in Old English it is betwix.

Amongst is from the old English too. Scrottle you were robbed! Your brother is a Scrabble cheat! smiley - smiley

Post 642

Kaeori

Hold on, if they are real words, then Scrottle's brother isn't a cheat - he's just ill-informed (or good at bluffing).smiley - smiley

Hey, you could do a great rhyme with 'Scrottle' and 'Scrabble'.smiley - winkeye

Post 643

Abi

Oh Kaeori you obviously are a warm hearted person who thinks the best of everyone!

Mind you I am comparing him to my brother who last week told my mum his best friend had been arrested in Morrocco with kilo of hard drugs in his trousers! Serial liar is not the word! smiley - smiley

Post 644

Abi

I mean it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "big packet in his trousers!" ! smiley - bigeyes

Dog business just don't make sense!

Post 645

Researcher 153369

i,d hate not to be english...no one knows what the hlls going on with the language..metaphorically it really is the dogs bolocks

Dog business just don't make sense!

Post 646

Researcher 153369

i,d hate not to be english...no one knows what the hlls going on with the language..metaphorically it really is the dogs bolocks

Post 647

Kaeori

Abi, is that your brother's way of teasing your Mum - or has he been keeping some seriously bad company?

The problem with Scrabble is when people start using 2-letter words you've never heard of (but you can be sure are in their dictionary), which always gets them lots of points, and leaves you nowhere to play on the board.smiley - sadface

Post 648

Circe

My brother cheats as well. What is it about boys that they just *have* to win...

Post 649

Scrottle on the bottle

It may be the technical term for it, but in my experience a more onomatopaeic (surely not?) version would be 'thnkthnkthnktshtssizt', but then again I may be the only person who switches the damn things off with a lump hammer.
But I doubt it.

Post 650

Scrottle on the bottle

Might this also explain why he can always complete the Grauniad crossword, too?

Post 651

Scrottle on the bottle

A great rhyme with scrottle and scrabble?
The only words that spring to mind are bottle and babble.
OK you win.

Post 652

Kaeori

Perhaps I meant half-rhyme. I'm no poet, but I recall something in Educating Rita along these lines.

Oh yes, don't forget throttle. And rabble.smiley - smiley

Post 653

Wand'rin star

And dottle, glottal and dabble,

Post 654

Dinsdale Piranha

'What is it about boys that they just *have* to win...'

Testosterone.

Post 655

Scrottle on the bottle

What is it about who don't just *have* to win...

Vasectomy

Scrabble

Post 656

Kaeori

Is 'Scrabble' a proper word? (Potential 50 point bonus if it is.smiley - smiley)

Scrabble

Post 657

threesecondmemory

Scrabble: - v. scrape at with hands, claws in disorderly manner -n. (S-) R word game.

From collins gem dictionary. Hope you have a fine Wednesday
Stay lucky...................:-p

Scrabble

Post 658

Gnomon - time to move on

I think that to scrabble means to claw at something in a frantic way, like the way a cats scrabbles at your leg when he is desparate for food.

Scrabble

Post 659

Pheroneous

There should be an element of hopelessness in the meaning. If you came across a loose scree whilst climbing, you would scrabble at the loose stones to try and get up, or if a building had collapsed you would scrabble at the rubble to try and reach survivors. I dont think it applies to cats and legs, but it surely applies to the game!

Scrabble

Post 660

Kaeori

Ok, so I'm not going to get a Nobel Prize for stunning intelligence...

... but just what is the connection between scraping away at loose stones or rubble, and making words horizontally and vertically with letters on square tiles on a board marked with a grid?

Key: Complain about this post