A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Dog business just don't make sense!

Post 621

Dinsdale Piranha

'dogged' also means to have something (usually unpleasant) stay with you, e.g., 'dogged by bad luck'

Post 622

Trillian's child

And doggèd where you pronounce the last syllable means persistant.

Post 623

Potholer

I think it does sort of mean persistent (in the sense of dogs being animals that hunt animals down by endurance). That said, I think it's most often used in the phrase 'dogged persistence', where I guess it really means 'extreme', but extreme in a sense that only really applies to persistence.

Post 624

Wand'rin star

I think this forum is a very good example of dogged. We keep settling the dogs points and going off on slight tangents and then someone else will drag us back to the dog's business. Is this the only thread with more than six hundred posts which is STILL on the main point?
I have only very recently reaised the point of "Hush Puppies" being so-called>

Post 625

Kaeori

Would you care to share this with those of us who are yet to attain enlightenment?smiley - smiley

Post 626

threesecondmemory

Yeah...spill the beans...............stay lucky.:-0

Queen, BBC, Received?

Post 627

Kaeori

Some confusion around here (due to pathetic explanations of would-be know-it-alls in my office).

What is the difference between the Queen's English, BBC English and Received Pronunciation - or are they all the same thing?

Queen, BBC, Received?

Post 628

Wand'rin star

The Queen's English used to be a generally accepted accent for the upper classes. Almost no-one other than the Queen and the unfortunate Charles now speaks like that.
When BBC radio was set up, all announcers had to speak a slightly modified version of that (eg corf for cough). This stopped in the 1960's when men with regional accents became fashionable (especially Scots and Irishmen)Very few women get away even today with a non-standard accent on the Beeb.
Received (standard) English is British only. There are different standards for other countries.It is supposed to be geographically neutral and class neutral, but of course it isn't. It's still (upper) middle class where the speaker has probably gone to boarding or grammar school.
No-one in their right mind speaks like this any more, but people like me still teach it in foreign countries (very modified in HK) as it is internationally acceptable and what the clients often want.
Standard can also be applied to written English: I hope I'm using a standard spelling and grammar, which would be very slightly different if I were an American or an Indian speaker.
Received pronunciation has changed in the years since it was first called that (by Sweet, I think, before WWI, on whom Shaw based Henry Higgins)For example, my grandfather said "orfen", I say "offen" and my grown-up children pronounce the t in "often".
Basically, in the 1930's they _were_ all the same thing. Now only the last exists for EFL teaching purposes.
(As you can see, there's nothing "would-be" about my knowing it all smiley - smiley)

Queen, BBC, Received?

Post 629

Kaeori

How refreshing - thanks!smiley - smiley

The "would-be's" around here look down on me because of my US accent and origins, so when I asked my question, it soon became clear that they hadn't a clue what they were talking about,but were all too proud to admit it!

To be fair, they probably don't look down on me that much, they just tease me because it gives them all something to do.

I'd still like to sound (and look) like Lady Penelope - perhaps someone could coach me, and make a documentary about it at the same time!

Would Be

Post 630

threesecondmemory

I don't think it is fair to say we don't know what we are talkin' about......we have all been using twisted versions of English all our lives so we have some idea of where we picked it up and the context in which it is used.....e.g. the dog's bollox.

...........stay lucky. smiley - tongueout

Would Be

Post 631

Kaeori

Oops... no, no, no!

When I said "around here" I didn't mean h2g2 - I meant my dumb office (see my previous posting).

Apologies for any offence caused.

Variant spellings

Post 632

Xedni Deknil

Everyone seems to be using the spelling 'b*****ks'. The Irish spelling is generally 'bollix' when used to speak derogatively of someone ('he's a right bollix'). It's pronounced as its spelt.

'Ballocks' seems to have gone out of fashion. I think this is more appropriate to what livestock possess (or don't, as the case may be), but I seem to recall Anthony Burgess favoring this spelling in general.

Queen, BBC, Received?

Post 633

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Kaeori! Hi!
Be yourself!
Be proud of your accent - it is part of you and your heritage.....

And if they still take the piss....just remind them of the War of Independance - when the fledgeling American Nation beat us Brits......

(I don't give a damn about that one!!!!)

'G'

Betwixt among and amongst

Post 634

Scrottle on the bottle

I'm afraid teacher's rules only extended to whilst and while. It was my big brother who pointed out that amongst and betwixt were invented to get higher scores in Scrabble. But then again, he always won.
One wonders if this is true of all big brothers.

Post 635

Walter of Colne

My experience is that big brothers nearly always win. But that's because they can.

Post 636

Kaeori

Betwixt? Sounds like a snack.smiley - bigeyes

Surely you can't invent words in Scrabble. That's cheating, isn't it?

Or can I have 'oeeiaao' and 'qrrttnm', which would get me out of many a tricky situation?smiley - winkeye

Variant spellings

Post 637

Trillian's child

I think I'll stick to the spelling "bollocks" - I might need the singular one day and with "bollox/bollix" I wouldn't have one.

Would Be

Post 638

threesecondmemory

Fair play, my mistake.

stay lucky.............

Variant spellings

Post 639

Xedni Deknil

'Bollix' is actually singular when used as a derogatory descriptor. Hence 'Ronan Keating is a useless bollix' and 'Boyzone are a right shower of bollixes'. If you're being strictly testicular, then 'bollock' it is.

Post 640

Xedni Deknil

A highly entertaining version of Scrabble is one where all words must be invented. The trick is for the word to actually sound feasible; the other players decide whether it's acceptable. Eventually you can end up with a new dictionary resembling The Meaning of Liff.

I think 'oeeiaao' is the technical term for the noise emitted by a burglar alarm as it is switched off. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post