A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Words That Should Be Used Less

Post 21

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

On another note - having viewed Terminator 2 recently - I was struck by John Connors version of English and very glad it didn't stay around outside of the 1990's on film, and possibly The Simpsons.

"No problemo"? smiley - headhurts

Post 22

HonestIago

Y'know. I use it all the time and I wish I didn't. Also dude, I picked it up while I was travelling, and most people seemed to say it but now I'm back in Britain it just seems pretensious and arrogant

Post 23

dasilva

Love

Post 24

HonestIago

Hate.

Post 25

Cyzaki

Sorry - along with love and hate I think it should only be used when you really really mean it.

smiley - panda

Post 26

HarpoNotMarx (((2*1)^6)-6-(2*8)=42

Yep-indeedy!

Post 27

Midnight Angel (ACE / G~A / GODDESS)

i agree only use the word love you truelly mean it.
But hate does anyone realy hate someone/something

dislike yes but hate is a very strong word.

Post 28

HonestIago

I'm not too sure about sorry, there isn't much else you can use, but with love and hate there are a lot of alternatives, people are just too lazy to think about them

Post 29

HonestIago

Simulpost. There is only one thing I truly hate. What people don't seem to get is that to hate something/someone requires as much tought as saying you truly love a thing

Post 30

Cyzaki

I think you can hate people, but only people you know well enough. You can't hate people off the TV, or people you've only met a couple of times, you have to know them well enough to love them in order to hate them.

smiley - panda

Post 31

The Groob

I've read that school children are being encouraged to use the word 'partner' instead of 'girlfriend' or 'boyfriend'. Apparently GF and BF are deemed offensive to gay people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't gay people have girlfriends and boyfriends? I have not known many gay people, but they have used these words to desribe their other halfs.

I keep imagining a secret panel of people meeting somewhere and starting a meeting by saying "okay, what can we be politically correct about today?".

Post 32

HonestIago

I've never heard that and I'm a gay guy. It can be a bit awkward to introduce a guy as your boyfriend but that's more society's fault than a problem with the word itself. I dislike the word partner, its too ambiguous(sp?)

Post 33

Wøñkø

Rather

Quite

I dunno why, they're just annoying.

Post 34

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

'girlfriend/boyfriend' aren't synonymous with 'partner' necessarily.

'partner' means something more committed. I don't think it's right for schoolkids to be using it as a general term.

Post 35

HonestIago

But boy/girlfriend do indicate an emotional connection, partner doesn't, it can be just an assigned collegue or a personal with whom you share enough views to work with

Post 36

Deidzoeb

The phrase "MAKE NO MISTAKE" jumped out at me when I heard Condoleeza Rice say it in some speech, and I realized that she was plagiarizing her speaking style from George W. Bush, if you can imagine that. Bush has used the same phrase several times in different speeches or press conferences.

It struck me how that phrase carries little implications. It's an old cliche, but the words form a command, not a statement. The person speaking commands you not to make a mistake. The listener must be of lower status or authority than the speaker, who is demanding perfection.

Not that big a deal, but annoying to hear such arrogance from world-class criminals.

Post 37

Wøñkø

"The fact of the matter is..."

smiley - grr

Post 38

AK - fancy that!

Perfect, lol, fizzle and its variants, wazzup... bush administration

Post 39

Deidzoeb

Good call, Wonko. The fact of the matter is that most people start expressing opinions after they open with "the fact of the matter is" (including this sentence).

Post 40

Wøñkø

"shut up"

Key: Complain about this post