A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 3941

Yael Smith

Remind me not to introduce you to my mother.smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 3942

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

I just feel sad for them, I only get annoyed when they pass on their insecurities to another generation...

Petty Hates

Post 3943

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I often wonder how much of the insecurities are because they *genuinely* think is revolting or whether they're frightened they'd enjoy it if they tried it.

Petty Hates

Post 3944

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

I get annoyed at people who think bare (female) boobs are disgusting.

A couple of years ago, Mrs Big Al and I were wandering through the countryside not far from the coast, on a steaming hot day. So Mrs BA was bare breasted.

Anyway, we were walking across a field when a youngish (40-ish) wonman came the other way walking her dog. Mrs BA was about to put her top back on and I said, 'I shouldn't bother, it's a woman. She has the same as you; just fold your arms while you walk by.'

Anyway, this woman castigated us and said that this area is 'not a naturist resort'.

Personally, I think anywhere where it is acceptable for men to go around without a shirt on, it should be perfectly acceptable for women to go around top-free. IMO (MOST) female boobs are a damn site more attractive (and less disgusting) than moobs! smiley - 2cents

Petty Hates

Post 3945

I suspect a lot of it is tied in with complex psychological issues. If guilt and disgust are attached to the body early on in life, I think that people go down the line of being very prudish and dissaproving. Sometimes this gets twisted beyond into quite strong sexual 'deviances' where left to their own devices they might have just been quite 'exploratory'...

But yes, some people would say that just different position is a deviant act, others would say that being dressed up, hung up and beaten is a normal wednesday night... In this as with so many things, I'm somewhere in the middle and pretty tolerant of others, though I tend to be concerned about the extremes...

What is currently irritating me is a lack of cream cakes and doughnuts being supplied for our efforts to keep other people's butts outta the smiley - bleep!

Petty Hates

Post 3946

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I guess deviancy is in the eye of the beholder... sure I find some things utterly repellant, but as far as I'm concerned if it involves two (or more!) consenting adults and doesn't endanger life and limb it's quite acceptable.

Anyway, back to petty hates: I hate that I've still got an hour to go before finishing work.

Petty Hates

Post 3947

Only fifteen minutes now!!! Dont you just hate optimists smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 3948

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

In the immortal words of “The Suncream Song” by Baz Luhrman (don't know the actual name of it, could someone help me out?)- your body is the greatest instrument you will ever own. Do not be afraid of it, or what other people think of it.

Case in point to that one, I was in LA recently., the hotel I was staying at had a pool but it was on the top floor and accessible via the lift. I had my frame so took the lift. When I was coming back down to my room, all I had on was my tankini and Converse as a child had splashed my clothes and soaked them.

I walked through reception quite happy that day.

This isn't so much a petty hate but it is certainly a HATE- pushy Christians. Example, my grandmother. Believes, fair play and all that- but I am an atheist and have been since I was ten [she doesn’t know this]. My orientation is a little different from what she accepts as “normal”, too [she’d have a fit if she knew]!

My point is, why do Christians etc feel the need to shove their religious beliefs down your throat with exclamations of “Jesus is looking out for you!”?!
Bull. Why, then, if there is a God and he supposedly “knits us together in the womb” are some people born worse off than others? (Here, I mean physically). Answer me that.

Sorry, I know that was a little bit of a rant but it both annoys and saddens me that she and others in my family are so devoted to the word [but fair play] that they will not accept someone who believes different [in my case, nothing] or that someone is gay, or bi, or whatever.

Sometimes I applaud the level of devotion, sometimes I throw things at it, cursing it to the nine levels of hell and back.

Petty Hates

Post 3949

eloisa

Fair comment though. I have actually used the line 'if god made us all in his image he must be a little bit bi' to one of those annoying street corner evangelists. It wasn't the most reasoned or intelligent argument I've ever used whilst passing the time with one of this breed but it was very funny watching his face turn purple!

Petty Hates

Post 3950

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

Wear Sunscreen I think its called...
Essay by some Chicago Tribune journalist... name escapes...
ah yeah, Mary Schmich

Petty Hates

Post 3951

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-970601sunscreen,0,4664776.column

smiley - cheers

Petty Hates

Post 3952

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Ta, I will download it later, and love that comment, I’ll keep it in mind for next time. Thanks for the article.

Petty Hates

Post 3953

DaveBlackeye

Having been to one of *those* parties, one thing I hated is the people who *know* they have good bits (and some who don't) but insist on waving them about in front of your face. Getting them out is one thing, flaunting them in front of someone of entirely the wrong persuasion to be at all interested is quite another.

Petty Hates

Post 3954

hey, I'm not particularly into exhibitionism myself.. I'm of the belief that what I have is to be seen on mutual agreement and prior warning only!

I think we have to take each other's sensitivity into account in public, but in privat, so long as ther is mutual, freely given, informed consent, I'm not going to pry too hard!

Petty Hates

Post 3955

HonestIago

The spider who keeps on spinning a web on my bike. The sheer futility of it all annoys me - the stupid thing should have realised by now that I destroy its web every morning but no, it insists on building it again every night.

Idiot.

Petty Hates

Post 3956

DJ_Bear

I hate getting to my desk in a morning with my breakfast yoghurt only to find someone has stolen my spoon!!

Petty Hates

Post 3957

You can call me TC

But surely you don't *hate* the smiley - spider for that? Just think it's daft.

Petty Hates

Post 3958

Hermione1

Im sorry but i have to dissagree as i hate spiders as in the past i have had 3 spiders crawling on me not at the same time and so that is my petty hate spiders crawling on me

Petty Hates

Post 3959

DaveBlackeye

I particularly hate it when I'm waiting to pull out of my road and other drivers crawling along the main road not only block my exit, but actually look me in the eye before doing it. Invariably mothers on the school run, it has to be said. Back in Scotland, people have died for less smiley - grr.

Petty Hates

Post 3960

grr

Maybe I'm paranoid, in which case thats my petty hate, but I hate the glares I receive for using a pelican crossing on a very busy road, or while walking on the pavement by said road just in case I dare use a facility to avoid me having to run across and hope for the best.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more