A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 2121

semper_paratus

Letters that inform me that I'm entitled to a home owner loan. My question is always, 'That's very nice of them, where would my new home be then?'.

smiley - biggrin Xander

Petty Hates

Post 2122

semper_paratus

People who consider my job as unskilled labour.

The Amarillo song. Once it's in your head it's there for the rest of the year.

smiley - biggrin Xander

Petty Hates

Post 2123

semper_paratus

Being told my local council that I can't fly my George Cross because it may cause racial hatred. It seems to me that you can fly any flag in this country as long as it's not anything to do with England. Despite the multi cultural nature of our country, this is still England.

smiley - biggrin Xander

Petty Hates

Post 2124

semper_paratus

My surname is Starbuck. People who keep asking me if I own Starbucks coffee. My answer is usual 'Yes. I just work 50 hours a week in a cr*p job and take daily grief from the customers for the hell of it'.

smiley - biggrin Xander

Petty Hates

Post 2125

Lochangel

I had a disasterous two date relationship with a very nice bloke whose surname was Starbuck... but this before the coffee company arrived on these shores.

Yes there was once a time when Starbucks were Seattle Coffee Company and they were as regular as hen's teeth. Yes, I am old.

Petty Hate of the Day: Chelsea mothers

Petty Hates

Post 2126

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Soon as I get one I'll be flying a St. Andrew's cross... in England!smiley - biggrin

Petty hate for the day: being tired but knowing I have lots to do.

Petty Hates

Post 2127

HonestIago

University Halls of Residence during holidays - I'm soo bored!

Petty Hates

Post 2128

HonestIago

Oh, and Kyrgyzstan. I was interested in this country when I decided to write an essay (long before the recent revolution erupted) on it but having gone through 10 books I just couldn't care less, stupid little nation

Petty Hates

Post 2129

Mikeo the gregarious

Management exams ... thank **** I had my last one today.

Petty Hates

Post 2130

pffffft

<>

*coughs*

[corrects]
they are considered AN intellectual. There is no AS
[/corrects]

People what write things wrongly.

smiley - kiss

Petty Hates

Post 2131

HonestIago

People who quit at Monopoly once they realise they don't stand a chance of winning. It's so much fun seeing how long they can hold on and that last, agonising second when they realise their roll of the dice will put them in my lovely hotel, it's pretty much the only reason I play the game

Petty Hates

Post 2132

Goat_Starer AKA Das Boot

the american pronunciation of aluminium.

aaargh!

Petty Hates

Post 2133

Being at w**k on my birthday.

Petty Hates

Post 2134

Goat_Starer AKA Das Boot

people who mention their birthday on the web in the hope of getting presents from strangers! he he!

Petty Hates

Post 2135

Shall I put you down as a "no" then?

Petty Hates

Post 2136

Goat_Starer AKA Das Boot

have a slice of smiley - cake and a smiley - ale on me. happy birthday!

Petty Hates

Post 2137

semper_paratus

<>

People who try to put others down because of their written use of the English language. Once again I say, people who are considered 'AN' (Thankyou, I'm not deaf) intellectual, putting others down. I believe my point has been proven.

X

Petty Hates

Post 2138

Omega_Kai

Reagarding the American pronunciation of the element "aluminum" americans actually say it correctly, as named by it's dicoverer. The English renamed it "aluminium".

Which brings me to my next petty hate: People who make statements without the support of fact

Petty Hates

Post 2139

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Goat-starer didn't say Americans didn't pronounce it correctly (a subject I have no interest in or opinion on), he said he didn't like the way they pronounced it

Petty Hates

Post 2140

Carlyle Ferris

In 1808 Sir Humphrey Davy proposed the name ALUMIUM for the metal. This rather unwieldy name was soon replaced by ALUMINUM and later the word ALUMINIUM was adopted by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists in order to conform with the "ium" ending of most elements. By the mid-1800s both spellings were in use, indeed Charles Dickens commented at the time that he felt both names were too difficult for the masses to pronounce!

The patents of both Hall and Héroult refer to ALUMINIUM and the company Hall helped set up was originally called the Pittsburgh ALUMINIUM Company. It was shortly renamed the Pittsburgh Reduction Company and in the USA the metal gradually began to be known only as ALUMINUM (in 1907 Hall's company finally became the ALUMINUM Company of America). In 1925 the American Chemical Society decided to use the name ALUMINUM in their official publications. Most of the world have kept the I in ALUMINIUM but it is interesting to note that the name for the metal's oxide, ALUMINA has been universally accepted over its more convoluted alternatives, ALUMINE and ALUMINIA.

Both ALUMINIUM and ALUMINUM have an equal claim to etymological and historical justification, and it seems that the difference in both pronunciation and spelling is likely to stay with us for the foreseeable future!

Petty hates...people like me.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more